By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision threatens to "stop supporting" Sony consoles.

It would be a massive blow to Sony if Activision drop support for PS3 and PSP. If they consider development for Playstation platforms too expensive, a few other companies may be tempted to follow suit.

However, that is an unlikely scenario. This is mainly a very public attempt to get Sony to drop the PS3 retail price-and possibly drop the price of development kits.

"It is not a very subtle hint, although Mr Kotick says his company paid $500 million to Sony in royalties and other goods last year, which “probably still worked out at 400 per cent of the profit they made”."

From the original Times article. $500 million in royalties? How much profit does that wipe off Playstation development?

Around the Network

if they ceased production of games for sony's consoles then this could be that spell doom for the sony gaming devision.

with out nthe biggest 3d party supporting other major third parties will soon leave.

hello how are you.

stop supporting a console you sold an estimated 13.55 million games on?

http://vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=&keyword=&console=PS3&region=All&developer=&publisher=14&genre=&boxart=Both&results=50&order=Hits

how bout making something great before you stop supporting a console that sells your crappy games.

I understand that guy reaction...

I don't believe he wants to stop supporting the PS3, he just ask Sony to stop fooling around and do what must be done... for the customers AND the software partners.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Wow, read this:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/activision-ceo-“we-might-have-to-stop-supporting-sony”

Kotick, who said recently that he was disappointed the platform holders opted not to announce console price cuts at E3, also noted that Activision had paid Sony $500 million in royalties and other goods last year, which “probably still worked out at 400 percent of the profit they made.”

According to Activision's 2008 FY report (pdf), PS3 publishing revenues were $241 million. There's probably some confusion here, but maybe Activision is not making that much profit from the PS3.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Steroid said:
Ugh here comes the Gamecube talk. Even though the PS3 sold in 2 years what the Gamecube sold in five. Here come the rabid fanbois, talking about PS3 sales are so poor when the PS3 is millions ahead of where the 360 was at this stage in it's life cycle.

Lol at Activision's stock dropping since they made this statement.

If the PS3 is "millions ahead" of where the 360 is, why did the 360 broaden its lead?

Modern Warfare 2 is coming to PS3 and that is all that matters. And if it isn't as good as it should be, I'll just keep playing the first one :).

NJ5 said:

Wow, read this:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/activision-ceo-“we-might-have-to-stop-supporting-sony”

Kotick, who said recently that he was disappointed the platform holders opted not to announce console price cuts at E3, also noted that Activision had paid Sony $500 million in royalties and other goods last year, which “probably still worked out at 400 percent of the profit they made.”

According to Activision's 2008 FY report (pdf), PS3 publishing revenues were $241 million. There's probably some confusion here, but maybe Activision is not making that much profit from the PS3.

Wait, does that say they paid more for royalties than they made? Yeah right. maybe the reporter mis heard the dude. 5 million sounds a lot like 500 million right?

richardhutnik said:
Steroid said:
Ugh here comes the Gamecube talk. Even though the PS3 sold in 2 years what the Gamecube sold in five. Here come the rabid fanbois, talking about PS3 sales are so poor when the PS3 is millions ahead of where the 360 was at this stage in it's life cycle.

Lol at Activision's stock dropping since they made this statement.

If the PS3 is "millions ahead" of where the 360 is, why did the 360 broaden its lead?

It's entirely possible, and true in the specified case, because distance is not velocity is not acceleration.

The PS3 has sold more than the 360 did in the same time (that's distance), sells about the same per week as the 360 did at the same point in time (that's velocity) but not as much as the 360 today, thus the absolute gap is slowly widening (the 360 went through an acceleration of sales with the last price cut).

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

I dare him to stop supporting. Do it dude, do it! I hate talk I'm more of a "actions speak louder than words" type of guy.

So Activision,