By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision threatens to "stop supporting" Sony consoles.

Steroid said:
MAFKKA said:
"Lol at Activision's stock dropping since they made this statement. " - for real?

1.18%

hmm it says its gone up by 3% since 9am this morning...

http://quote.morningstar.com/Quote/Quote.aspx?ticker=ATVI

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

COD: WAW sells better on PS3 than on Wii and they wanna stop support PS3???

BladeOfGod said:

Maybe they also considered costs, duh...

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

JEDE3 said:
Ps3 makes profit. Why wouldnt they want more money?

I'm noticing a lot of people saying this. Yes, the PS3 makes profit. But developing for it does not mean more money. I'm going to use a very simplified example, the only thing that matters is the final number- which would be 'money.' :

Take team N. Team N makes the necessary code changes for the PS3, costing $D. And after 1 year, it sells X copies, resulting in net profit of $100,000. Not a shabby amount. Or, team N could be put in charge of changing things for a 360/Wii version. Both of these have lower development costs, so there is a reduction in D. Even with a reduction in X, the final net profit on this new project after a year is $200,000. So, for less financial output (the reduced D), there is more profit generated. And this is the more money that Activision wants. More money for no more cost. If they were to have 5 team 'N's there, this would net Activision an additional $500,000 in a year, just for dropping the PS3.

If you want to look at it another way, I'll set $E to the money spent by team N over some extended time period. $E gets Activision either G games for the PS3, or G+Q games for the 360/Wii. If that Q can offset the a (potential) reduction in sales on G, it is more profitable.

Now I know that someone's going to try to ask about something to the tune of COD. I'm going to simplify numbers and say that it sold 4 million each on the 360 and PS3. (Again, precision is not a mandate here, as I know the numbers are vastly different.) What people are seeing and saying is that Activision would be throwing away 4 million sales by having no PS3 version. This is not true, as it would require exactly 0 people to instead pick the only availiable version (360) and the rest forego the series entirely. I do know that there will be some sales lost, but it will not be to the tune of 4 million. This is, however, where things start to get hazy. We don't know how many sales would be lost, if any are even perceived as lost. I'll use COD on the Wii as an example. CoD:WaW sold about 10 million across the 3 platforms. The Wii performed the worst, so we'll drop it. And this leads to sales of CoD4 being... wait... almost 12 million?? We lost no sales by dropping the Wii? What's to say that something like this couldn't be duplicated against the PS3? If they can make the perceived loss to be 0, all the more profit to be seen.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

What a baby.
Go cry about it.

Around the Network

Well they never did have to support the console anyways. If they get better returns on the others then why still support it. Obviously they must be getting something off the console for them to talk about it rather than actually do it.

But it is quite possible that most devs may start taking a similar position in a way to influence Sony to cut the price quicker. I don't think they are actually ever going to cut support, but Activision Blizzard is such a colossal developing force that I'm sure they can at least scare them into thinking more about it.

I would like to reiterate and agree with the statement that....

Activision can get the hell out. Blizzard is the only part of that equation I care about, and they are PC devs.

gebx said:
Steroid said:
MAFKKA said:
"Lol at Activision's stock dropping since they made this statement. " - for real?

1.18%

hmm it says its gone up by 3% since 9am this morning...

http://quote.morningstar.com/Quote/Quote.aspx?ticker=ATVI

2.5 and dropping :D

Gh0st4lifE said:
BladeOfGod said:

Maybe they also considered costs, duh...

i am 100% sure Ps3 version made them lots of money

mibuokami said:
nordlead said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
This, on top of the Brutal Legend thing and the milking of their franchises.

I'm starting to dislike Activision.

What Brutal Legend thing? I thought it was an EA game.

Brutal Legend was one of the game that 'didn't make the cut' when Acti-Blizz merged. The project was picked up by EA after a while and eventually got to where it is today, unfortunately Activision suddenly realize that the game might actual sell some and have decided to file injunctions against the dev in an effort to get the development cost already spent back.

EA famously retorted that this was like a guy 'abandoning his wife only to protest when she finds a better looking guy'.

Don't know the entire story and I'm sure Activision have some leg to stand on, their official statement claims that Double Fine Production fail to meet several critical timeline with regards to the project etc etc.

Ghostbusters I believe is another one I believe fell through in the merger. 

Anyhow, this is likely posturing on the part of Activition, stating what they want things to be, and questionable if it went off.  It would be interesting to see if they do to Sony what EA did to Sega, pull support on a console they have issues with.  Since Activision is not a Japanese company, it is far more likely then say Namco saying they wouldn't support Sony any longer.