By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I think this is all semantics guys (I mentioned this before, and I think everyone except one ignored it).

Liberal doesn't literally mean liberal. Conservative doesn't literally mean conservative.

I don't think Role Playing Game has to literally be a game where you get to play a role. In fact, if we take the definition of that literally, then every game is a RPG (you take the role of somebody in every game).

Is character customization (physical attributes) necessary for a WRPG? No. Most early WRPG's only had a few premade choices, and the really old WRPGs (before I was alive) probably didn't even give you a choice to physically design your character.

Player choice is everywhere now. Splintercell: Double Agent had player choice. You controlled the outcome of the game. Most games have cop out "Press A or B" choices. InFamous had player choice, is that a RPG?

I think people haven't created a technical term and set of criteria for RPG and just link together similar games as they see fit under the names JRPG, WRPG, RPG, etc. We can debate about it, but it's all personal opinion. There's no objective criteria and fact, and meaning to the word RPG, it's all an issue of semantics and personal opinion, there's no right here.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

If you have a well known brand and tastes change, what would you do? Using your brand name to push something more appealing to the market or risk raising a new IP from the ground? Giving up to the nostalgia of players no longer interested on your game and dropping a valuable asset is not the correct answer. 

So about Super Paper Mario, you do not know if the consumers at large were disappointed by the change in direction. Your casual evidence is meaningless. Again, it appears to wish corporations would decide according to your own tastes and needs not those of the larger pie.

They've been evolving vertically, you like it or not. The tweaks to the turn based system have been constant and other elements of the franchise have been tweaked several times but still without deviating from the original format. That's vertical progression and as it's happened the power of the franchise has dwindled as sales show. Of course I can't stablish a direct link between those two events (FF's vertical progression and its sales results). Again, you are talking about people praising the old super nintendo games, drawing from anecdotal evidence conclusions for the whole customer base. Again, anecdotal evidence is bad. 

And how many instances in the video game market can you think of where a company had a decaying brand name and were able to convert it with success?  About the only real example I can think of is Mortal Kombat (remember Mythologies and Special Forces?) which wasn't a success and, in fact, damaged the brand greatly.  Street Fighter which didn't resort to such things is in a much stronger position than its age old rival thanks, in part, to Mortal Kombat's own screw-ups.  Mortal Kombat was a great brand until they did exactly what you're suggesting and flushed it down the toilet.  Sadly it has never recovered.

Also, anecdotal evidence is not meaningless nor bad.  We know this thanks to the Ant Principle (I forget the real name of it but I've always called it the Ant Principle).  Essentially the nickname comes from the fact that you will never find just one ant or termite in your home.  If you find one termite in your home, you call pest control because there probably are more.  Essentially it's a theory based on the fact that the probability of finding the only instance of something is much lower than the probability of finding one instance among many when dealing with non-unique cases.  Anecdotal evidence is an indication of existence, not of scope.  If you find one termite in your home, then you may reason that you have termites in your home (via the Ant Principle) however you don't know how many.  It is not usable in a scientific study as a basis of generalization however it is useful in its own right for establishing existence.

As for Final Fantasy, reread what I posted above.  I say they haven't improved things, you point out tiny improvements, I say those are meaningless overall and not an indicator of improvement, you say I'm moving the goal posts, we argue about what defines "improvement," and we end up agreeing to disagree.  If it's all the same to you, I'd just rather skip to the end and agree to disagree.

Prince of Persia has been considerably retooled.

Resident Evil 5 is a new direction for the series.

Etc...

Just because you don't want to acknowledge it does't change the fact it happens. 

By the way, the Ant principle is meaningless when what you were doing is extracting conclusions for the larger market from anecdotal evidence. I have a friend who still plays his ps2 and the only games he plays is the yearly iteration of pes: obviously all guys with ps2 still active that's all they do, play pes. C'mon...  there's no validity whatsoever in extrapolating results from a small non-representative pick. You think Reggie says: ok, my son likes that basketball game in Wii Resorts and the Ant Principle says that's all I need to know! Greenlight it!. There might be a few ants who like this or like that, but wether those ants represent the whole nest is a different thing - and that's what you were trying to do.

But yeah, let's just agree to disagree.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Way to go Nightstriker to inform the OP. But WRPGS FTW!!! im tired of being a normal person who has some awesome vision that allows me to posess some magical weapon and with it save the world. Thats what all JRPGs seem to do anymore and i prefer WRPGs because of it

Long Live SHIO!

Akvod said:
I think this is all semantics guys (I mentioned this before, and I think everyone except one ignored it).

Liberal doesn't literally mean liberal. Conservative doesn't literally mean conservative.

I don't think Role Playing Game has to literally be a game where you get to play a role. In fact, if we take the definition of that literally, then every game is a RPG (you take the role of somebody in every game).

Is character customization (physical attributes) necessary for a WRPG? No. Most early WRPG's only had a few premade choices, and the really old WRPGs (before I was alive) probably didn't even give you a choice to physically design your character.

Player choice is everywhere now. Splintercell: Double Agent had player choice. You controlled the outcome of the game. Most games have cop out "Press A or B" choices. InFamous had player choice, is that a RPG?

I think people haven't created a technical term and set of criteria for RPG and just link together similar games as they see fit under the names JRPG, WRPG, RPG, etc. We can debate about it, but it's all personal opinion. There's no objective criteria and fact, and meaning to the word RPG, it's all an issue of semantics and personal opinion, there's no right here.

Of course there is a criteria for an RPG. People have just gotten so used to calling JRPG's, RPG's that they never sat down and thought about it hard enough.

WRPG and JPG round table discussion on the major differences between the two at RPGfan.com:

"Western RPGs came about based on the pen & paper games that arose in the '70s and '80s, and therefore focused on letting the player create the story by his/her actions, at least as much as was possible with the technology of the time. Japanese RPGs have been around since I started playing RPGs. I entered via the console forum, which basically meant Japanese-made games. There were exceptions–such as Ultima, that made it onto the NES–but by in large the majority were from Japan."- RPGfan.com

"Mark nailed it right on the head. The divide between the two boils down to that point: freedom vs. linearity. Japanese RPGs are all about telling you the story, and that's probably why they shouldn't be called Role Playing Games in the traditional sense. After all, the term came from America to refer to games such as Dungeons & Dragons, in which each of the players chose a role and along with the Game Master created the story. Japanese RPGs rarely let you affect the outcome of the story, and even when they do, it's usually not to a great degree."-RPGfan.com

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/roundtable2007/index1.html

@S.T.A.G.E. I agree with you, but it really wasn't something I wanted to argue here.

Around the Network
FaRmLaNd said:
@S.T.A.G.E. I agree with you, but it really wasn't something I wanted to argue here.

Yeah, but I refuse to be involved in a subjective debate when there are great JRPG's and WRPG's. I just hate when people talk about WRPG's, when they are the only ones truly representing the genre and evolving while doing so.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Torillian said:

So then any game where you play a role would be an RPG?  When I made a character in Rock Band, or GTA: SA, or hell when I create a character in skate 2.

Um...no. Rockband music sim that allows you to create a character. You don't determine anything, besides enjoying the fun of playing music and hoping to get 100%. Skate 2 isn't an RPG. GTA from time to time tends to show bits and pieces of RPG action. The last GTA let you choose who you would align yourself with or kill. Even with all that it wasn't an RPG, because you weren't playing a role and you couldn't relate with the character.

I'm not sure I follow that last statement. I relate to characters in books all of the time, despite having no control of what their actions are.

I think an RPG is simply what we make it to be. We don't need these rigid definitions for genres. Certainly the genre of RPG has expanded since the 70's.

If we were to look at music, for better or worse is a matter of opinion, clearly the Rock genre has expanded and has accepted sounds that would never have been considered as rock if solely adhering at a strict, traditional definition.

pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Torillian said:

So then any game where you play a role would be an RPG?  When I made a character in Rock Band, or GTA: SA, or hell when I create a character in skate 2.

Um...no. Rockband music sim that allows you to create a character. You don't determine anything, besides enjoying the fun of playing music and hoping to get 100%. Skate 2 isn't an RPG. GTA from time to time tends to show bits and pieces of RPG action. The last GTA let you choose who you would align yourself with or kill. Even with all that it wasn't an RPG, because you weren't playing a role and you couldn't relate with the character.

I'm not sure I follow that last statement. I relate to characters in books all of the time, despite having no control of what their actions are.

I think an RPG is simply what we make it to be. We don't need these rigid definitions for genres. Certainly the genre of RPG has expanded since the 70's.

If we were to look at music, for better or worse is a matter of opinion, clearly the Rock genre has expanded and has accepted sounds that would never have been considered as rock if solely adhering at a strict, traditional definition.

You relate to characters in books, because the book stimulates the brain and the brain creates the image. Humans imagine things in their own perspective.

You're right that RPG's have expanded since the 70's, but RPG's don't have linear storylines that we cannot control. RPG's have influenced many non-rpg things, such as sports games, action games and any other game that involves some sort of growth. Career modes of most games are based off of your own personalized growth. RPG's are DM created stories that you influence and change based on the control your character posesses. That, my friend, will never change.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Torillian said:

You relate to characters in books, because the book stimulates the brain and the brain creates the image. Humans imagine things in their own perspective.

You're right that RPG's have expanded since the 70's, but RPG's don't have linear storylines that we cannot control. RPG's have influenced many non-rpg things, such as sports games, action games and any other game that involves some sort of growth. Career modes of most games are based off of your own personalized growth. RPG's are DM created stories that you influence and change based on the control your character posesses. That, my friend, will never change.

No, my point was that you can relate to characters regardless of genre. You don't need to be able to control actions to relate to a character.

But it has already. Millions of people, and the industry as a whole have accepted JRPGs as RPGs. But anyway, as mentioned several other times, this is just an issue of semantics. Really no need to go any further with it.

pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
pearljammer said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Torillian said:

No, my point was that you can relate to characters regardless of genre. You don't need to be able to control actions to relate to a character.

But it has already. Millions of people, and the industry as a whole have accepted JRPGs as RPGs. But anyway, as mentioned several other times, this is just an issue of semantics. Really no need to go any further with it.

When I say relate, I mean feeling as the character does.