By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forza 3... how can it have 1 million polygons per second

gebx said:
Maybe it only applies when the car is in the garage??

That too, didn't think of that.

When you're in a very small environment where you don't have to worry about AI, physics, any kind of collision, or anything else you could probably easily get away with that.

Around the Network

It's a developer hyping his own game really, nothing to see here. GT5:P was said to have 200k polygons per car or something like that so 1 million is going to sound mighty fine to say the least compared to the main competitor.

People can say what they want but it's literally Forza 3 vs GT5. Turn 10 have made it perfectly clear about who they want to better. I'm just waiting for OPM France and UK info on GT5 until we can really start comparing Forza 3 to GT5.

Thus far not impressed at all with Forza 3. Only 8 cars per race, no weather, no pit stops and 400 cars which I would bet an arm and a leg that GT5 will have more. On the other hand Forza 3 judging by Forza 2 will have the superior physics, damage and customization.

Both franchises have a very long way to go but graphically Turn 10 are just asking for it considering the cars look on par with Prologue which released well over a year ago. PD also going fot 1080p so mighty fine what PD have done.

haxxiy said:
goddog said:

or they could be streaming using the velocity engine (which each core on the cpu has 2 of ) to help. it can accelerate predetermined graphics function significantly if you put the work into it, especial polygon creation. but you must code like hell for it.

"The Velocity Engine, embodied in the G4 and G5 processors, expands the current PowerPC architecture through addition of a 128-bit vector execution unit that operates concurrently with existing integer and floating-point units. This provides for highly parallel operations, allowing for simultaneous execution of up to 16 operations in a single clock cycle. This new approach expands the processor's capabilities to concurrently address high-bandwidth data processing (such as streaming video) and the algorithmic intensive computations which today are handled off-chip by other devices, such as graphics, audio, and modem functions.The AltiVec instruction set allows operation on multiple bits within the 128-bit wide registers. This combination of new instructions, operation in parallel on multiple bits, and wider registers, provide speed enhancements of up to 30x on operations that are common in media processing."

short description also the first one google turned up im too lazy to type out my own

edit ill post more when i get back im already way to far bebhind today 

but i will not using velocity engine is something I dont think either party has done sony/MS yet so that would be interesting, also of note nintendo had thet technology though a diffrent version removed from its chip 

"Velocity engine" is just the name Apple gave to the SIMD instruction set commonly called AltiVec and used on modern PowerPC architectures. Actually both the Xenon and the Cell use it from launch, and that's why both have insanely high floating point performance compared to the x86-64 design used by AMD and Intel.

Plus the X360 CPU is not completely AltiVec-enabled. "as a number of integer operations were removed to make space for the larger register file and additional application-specific operations".

yes i know all of that, but the fact remains it helps significantly in graphics production and calculations if you code for it, and yes both cell and xenon have it, however xenon has 3  times the number the cell has, though both chips are unusual in carring 2 per core.

sorry next time ill call it altivec, though every time i have called it that before on here no one knew what i was talking about. 

however i dispute the notion that both have used it from launch, if they are, it must be damn poorly coded use of the option, from seeing render times/ floating point calculations  on cell CPUs / (i have not tried this on the 360 but now that interested ill load up a testing app i have over the weekend being a former apple tech i still have a few goodies form PPC days and both xenon and cell use a variant that is compatible with my testing software )

hmm maybe MS/sony should get some old adobe/apple people from the PPC days on hand they could pull hell of alot of mucle out of that tech 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

sorry to burst your bubble but the peak polygon performance of the 360 is actually 6.5 billion polygons but thats not the number that it can actually put on the screen 500 million polygoons is the number that can be used in the games. The Peak performance of the Ps2 was 75 million but it couldn't put them all on the screen at once but instead it could only put 5 - 20 million polygons on the screen. The 360 performance is 500 million polygons with a degree of shader pixels. dead rising had 4 million polygons as max in a single frame.

Tessellation?

Around the Network

I wish these GT5 vs. Forza 3 threads would, if not die, at least seriously diminish in here. Its not that I mind the subject itself but all of the threads get overrun by rabid fanboys touting their opinions as gospel truth and discussing the finer details of things entirely unknown.

I agree it sounds strange NJ5, and like you say; it doesn't really matter...

The can probably get "1 Million polygons per car" because of an efficient level of detail system which would only use that level of detail when part of the car was taking up most of the screen; and through the use of advanced datastructures for more efficient clipping and culling (consider that less than 1/3 of polygons from a car are probably displayed at most times, and if you're not displaying it you shouldn't render it).

same car in different screenshots from F3. Notice the LOD.

Photomode / game menu / ingame: