By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forza 3... how can it have 1 million polygons per second

It's just the MS version of "KZ2 looks better than Crysis" or "GoW will be 1080p 60fps".

Around the Network

or they could be streaming using the velocity engine (which each core on the cpu has 2 of ) to help. it can accelerate predetermined graphics function significantly if you put the work into it, especial polygon creation. but you must code like hell for it.

"The Velocity Engine, embodied in the G4 and G5 processors, expands the current PowerPC architecture through addition of a 128-bit vector execution unit that operates concurrently with existing integer and floating-point units. This provides for highly parallel operations, allowing for simultaneous execution of up to 16 operations in a single clock cycle. This new approach expands the processor's capabilities to concurrently address high-bandwidth data processing (such as streaming video) and the algorithmic intensive computations which today are handled off-chip by other devices, such as graphics, audio, and modem functions.The AltiVec instruction set allows operation on multiple bits within the 128-bit wide registers. This combination of new instructions, operation in parallel on multiple bits, and wider registers, provide speed enhancements of up to 30x on operations that are common in media processing."

short description also the first one google turned up im too lazy to type out my own

edit ill post more when i get back im already way to far bebhind today 

but i will not using velocity engine is something I dont think either party has done sony/MS yet so that would be interesting, also of note nintendo had thet technology though a diffrent version removed from its chip 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

goddog said:

or they could be streaming using the velocity engine (which each core on the cpu has 2 of ) to help. it can accelerate predetermined graphics function significantly if you put the work into it, especial polygon creation. but you must code like hell for it.

"The Velocity Engine, embodied in the G4 and G5 processors, expands the current PowerPC architecture through addition of a 128-bit vector execution unit that operates concurrently with existing integer and floating-point units. This provides for highly parallel operations, allowing for simultaneous execution of up to 16 operations in a single clock cycle. This new approach expands the processor's capabilities to concurrently address high-bandwidth data processing (such as streaming video) and the algorithmic intensive computations which today are handled off-chip by other devices, such as graphics, audio, and modem functions.The AltiVec instruction set allows operation on multiple bits within the 128-bit wide registers. This combination of new instructions, operation in parallel on multiple bits, and wider registers, provide speed enhancements of up to 30x on operations that are common in media processing."

short description also the first one google turned up im too lazy to type out my own

edit ill post more when i get back im already way to far bebhind today 

but i will not using velocity engine is something I dont think either party has done sony/MS yet so that would be interesting, also of note nintendo had thet technology though a diffrent version removed from its chip 

"Velocity engine" is just the name Apple gave to the SIMD instruction set commonly called AltiVec and used on modern PowerPC architectures. Actually both the Xenon and the Cell use it from launch, and that's why both have insanely high floating point performance compared to the x86-64 design used by AMD and Intel.

Plus the X360 CPU is not completely AltiVec-enabled. "as a number of integer operations were removed to make space for the larger register file and additional application-specific operations".

OP, I detect a cynical tone in your post which is a shame since you obviously are cynical but have nothing to backup your cynical point of view. Would it not be more polite and proper to simply ask if this is possible instead of turning what is basically a lack of knowledge into a critisism of Forza 3.

I'm not fully clued up on the matters but you can bet one or two things.

1. Only your car will have 1 million polygons if true. AI cars will certainly use lower detail models, this is standard practise.

2. Not all parts of a car are rendered, occlussion techniques have been used for years so parts of the scene that aren't visible aren't rendered.

Quick question: Do you have a 3D halographic display that lets you view a game from all angles? No? I didn't think so. The game doesn't draw the entire car, it draws the section that you are looking at. If you're looking at a car from one side, the other side of the car has no impact on performance since it doesn't exist. Also, you have to factor in that the further away a car is, the less polygon is actually has since the polygon count can be dynamically reduced.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

Around the Network
jetrii said:
Quick question: Do you have a 3D halographic display that lets you view a game from all angles? No? I didn't think so. The game doesn't draw the entire car, it draws the section that you are looking at. If you're looking at a car from one side, the other side of the car has no impact on performance since it doesn't exist. Also, you have to factor in that the further away a car is, the less polygon is actually has since the polygon count can be dynamically reduced.

Not all the polygons are seen, but a vast amount of them are so that won't radically change the numbers (note that the numbers I posted are optimistic, in reality a lot of the GPU will be busy processing the pixel shading and the polygons on the track and surrounding environment).

Besides that, you have to look at the worst case scenario, for example your scenario where cars are far away is not relevant since the engine has to work in all situations, and there will be lots of times when all cars are close.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

jetrii said:

That's not exactly the case.  Culling poly's (or anything else) can be expensive and splitting that car up and checking what can and can't be seen every frame like that on every car on the road would get pretty expensive and I'm not sure how much that would give you back.

I'm not saying that can't be the case, I'm just saying in every engine I've ever worked in that's not the case.  The closest thing you'd have is something like Radiant (or Quake 4 Radiant at least) where they just draw your hands and nothing else.  In something like Half-Life 2 with the Source engine you don't even actually have a player model.

Maybe it only applies when the car is in the garage??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

International Douche said:
OP, I detect a cynical tone in your post which is a shame since you obviously are cynical but have nothing to backup your cynical point of view. Would it not be more polite and proper to simply ask if this is possible instead of turning what is basically a lack of knowledge into a critisism of Forza 3.

I'm not fully clued up on the matters but you can bet one or two things.

1. Only your car will have 1 million polygons if true. AI cars will certainly use lower detail models, this is standard practise.

2. Not all parts of a car are rendered, occlussion techniques have been used for years so parts of the scene that aren't visible aren't rendered.

You must have missed the part where I made it clear I wasn't bashing the game. In fact I said it looks great. I am skeptical of the "1 million polygons per car" claim, and rightly so I think.

If it's the case that only the player's car will have that many polygons, then clearly we can't say "per car".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

best looking game ever!! does not need math

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.