By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The rumors were true: Nintendo games can now play themselves!

this is the next revolution that nintendo is leading.. expect sony and microsoft to follow in two years time. soo all developers will have this in their games

hello how are you.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Xxain said:
Soriku said:
Vashyo said:
Xen said:
That's great, tbh. That gives Nintendo the leeway to make their games harder.

I doubt nintendo has made any hard games since gamecube :/

FE is supposed to be hard. TP is harder than TWW. SMG is pretty hard at times. And they've made a bunch of RPGs and such which all have their own set of difficulties.

So...what are you talking about?

Even casual games like Wii Sports can be hard. Try getting all platinum trophies...

ARE YOU KIDDEN ME!!!! ...TP is the easiest Zelda ive ever played, and sunshine was harder than Galaxy

No way about TP being easier than TWW. TP's dungeons are a lot more annoying (Lakebed Temple and City in the Sky suck balls), and some enemies are harder than in TWW (like Iron Knuckles for example. In TWW you face off against a ton of them and they're not too hard to beat. But then in TP they can be a nightmare in groups.)

Haven't played Sunshine though so I can't say about that but some SMG levels are really annoying.

The only challenge in TP was the last fight in the optional dungeon,....its al most impossible to die in TO unless you kill urself

noname2200 said:
brute said:
I guess it's good for the casuals, but people will attack this alot.

I'M attacking this! Unless a game's difficulty balance is ridiculously uneven (which happens more than it should, I admit), this feature's just hurting the player: you're not learning how to play the game, you're just plain giving up. So what are you going to do the next time you encounter a rough spot (or even rough-er spot)? You haven't improved since last time, so you pause the game and let it play again....and then you repeat this process in a few minutes....and yet again....until you blink and realize that the game's over, wasn't-that-fun?

And I know it's purely optional, which is why I'm not foaming at the mouth here or anything. I'll even admit that I can see some uses for this in co-op games and the like, where the players' skills are very unequal. But it seems to me that this is a mistake overall, for reasons I can't completely explain (I'll try though).

A large chunk of most games' fun comes from the challenge it offers, even if that challenge level is fairly low overall. After all, I don't think anyone has too much fun with a "press A to win" type of game. This feature removes that challenge almost entirely, and the worrying part is that the people who will use it the most are likely to be people who rarely play games (demonstrably, they already have the least interest in gaming). While this may initially seem like a plus (finally my girlfriend will play with me! And if things get tough, we'll just auto her out) I actually think it'll have a negative effect on gaming overall: I fear that people who use this feature will end up simply sitting and watching the game play itself more and more often (why not take the path of least resistance, especially when you're not all that dedicated to the hobby in the first place?). And when that happens, I think it'll be inevitable that increasing numbers of people will get bored of gaming and just walk away. The process may not be logical, but from what I've seen of human behavior I think it'll happen to lots of people, more than this feature helps draw in.

I concede that there's a problem, and that this is Nintendo's attempt to address it. But I really don't think this is the wisest way to go about things. I think Nintendo would be much better served if they took the time to fine-tune the balance on their games, in such a way that even novice players have a chance to test and improve their skills before encountering tougher challenges. I'd even toss in a video service of some sort, as a sort of hint system to show lost players how others do it. But doing it for them? I don't think that does anyone any favors.

Wouldn't this be a video system in effect?  People would watch the game do it, and then they would know what to do in the future.

@topic in general, I'm not sure how I feel about this yet.  Since it's optional, I really don't have a strong reaction either way.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Chrizum said:

Interesting perspective. You have a point, but I think you exaggerated it a bit.

I concede that I did, but I don't think it's by as much as you'd think at first blush. I think it'd be helpful to think of this from a slightly different perspective.

Let me use a completely unrealistic analogy here: suppose I take up a new hobby, in this case cooking, purely for my own enjoyment (we do exist y'know!). I start out learning some basic knife skills, figure out how to grill things, learn about different settings on the oven, but I'm completely stumped when it comes to figuring out how to season my basic dish. No worries, cooking now has an "auto-cook" feature in which I can skip certain steps of my hobby and have my robo-maid or whatnot do some things for me. I never learned how to do seasonings, but I'm still kind of enjoying what I do know. Except shortly afterwards, I not only have to figure out how much oregano to add to my chicken, I also have to figure out the trick to broiling. Well, I know I can't do the former, and it's tempting to have someone do the latter for me, so I can just keep practicing what (little) I know, so...back to auto-cooking!

And I keep doing this as time goes on, because it's just so tempting and easy to have someone do the hard stuff for me, which lets me do the parts I actually enjoy. But over time I'm doing less and less of my own cooking, because I never really learned how to do the basics, let alone the more advanced stuff, so when it comes time to do souffles and the like I'm more watching than participating. And I realize that the only things I'm doing for myself are the very, very basics; more importantly, I realize that I'm not doing all that much of my own hobby anymore except watching, which is about as fun as it sounds...at that point, I'd go and find a new hobby. And while I did bring this on myself by voluntarily taking the easy way out time and again, it was so very tempting: I was just trying to skip the hard stuff so I can go straight to the fun stuff! Except that by skipping out on the hard stuff early on, I denied myself the wealth of even more fun stuff that I could do later...

It's a vicious cycle, one which I have zero trouble imagining. That's why I still think that the better answer would be to have a teacher gradually introduce me to the necessary skills/challenges, until I'm ready to try things on my own. It's harder, it's trickier to pull off, but in the end it's much more rewarding. And I'm talking about those things from the developer's side, not the consumer's.

But I'm sure the player will be rewarded if he plays it as much as possible without using this "auto-play".

Almost certainly so. For starters, I doubt this feature will guide you to any secret areas or bonuses: it's likely just the bare bones approach. I do have to note the irony of rewarding the player who's already proven that he or she can take the harder road and emerge victorious, but it's not like that situation's particularly new or unique to Nintendo (or even unwelcome, in my opinion).

burgerstein said:
Oh no! Next thing you know they'll be adding warp pipes, that cloudy thing, and P-wings! Really, this isn't much different. It's just that the presentation is a little less creative, and the purpose is more obvious.

Actually, I quite disagree. Warps were never simply handed to you: you had to be clever/creative/skilled enough to find where the developers buried them. The cloud and the P-Wings are also different: not only were they finite (you could get, what, five clouds in the entire game?) but they each carried a risk themselves: get hit when using a P-Wing and you lost that power, die in the next stage after using the cloud and you had to beat the level you tried to skip.

By contrast, this feature does not seem to have any limits in how often you can use it, and the risks seem almost non-existent (assuming your co-op partners don't kill your AI-controlled character; I don't see them instituting this in a way that gets your guy killed, as that defeats the entire purpose).

There are similarities, but they're skin-deep.

Xxain said:
Soriku said:
Xxain said:
Soriku said:
Vashyo said:
Xen said:

FE is supposed to be hard. TP is harder than TWW. SMG is pretty hard at times. And they've made a bunch of RPGs and such which all have their own set of difficulties.

Even casual games like Wii Sports can be hard. Try getting all platinum trophies...

ARE YOU KIDDEN ME!!!! ...TP is the easiest Zelda ive ever played, and sunshine was harder than Galaxy

No way about TP being easier than TWW. TP's dungeons are a lot more annoying (Lakebed Temple and City in the Sky suck balls), and some enemies are harder than in TWW (like Iron Knuckles for example. In TWW you face off against a ton of them and they're not too hard to beat. But then in TP they can be a nightmare in groups.)

Haven't played Sunshine though so I can't say about that but some SMG levels are really annoying.

The only challenge in TP was the last fight in the optional dungeon,....its al most impossible to die in TO unless you kill urself

I haven't died in a Zelda game since A Link to the Past.  OoT is just as easy as TP.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Xxain said:
Soriku said:
Xxain said:
Soriku said:
Vashyo said:
Xen said:

TP fights are harder (I don't remember hard TWW fights) IMO but what about temples? TP temples are more annoying.

TP had Looooooooooong dungeon( FU water and sky Temple) but they weren't hard though...i thought they were a tad bit simpler

theRepublic said:

Wouldn't this be a video system in effect?  People would watch the game do it, and then they would know what to do in the future.

Not really: it has the added benefit of being a video system as well, but where the video can only show you what to do (and then leave the actual execution to you) this service does it for you. I'd be okay if it was just a video service, and I'm sure plenty of folks will employ it as such. I'm just worried that for too many people, the urge to give in to laziness will overcome any desire for improving one's skills (especially when said skills are pretty worthless outside of gaming). I think the analogy I scribbled up in my last post sums up my thought process here.

I wish they had this back in the days of Battle Toads and Snake Rattle 'N Roll!

Pretty sad that they need this for a MARIO game of all things... New Super Mario Bros. on the DS was a joke in terms of overall difficulty, with the exception of getting some of the gold coins, but those aren't necessary to complete the game. Hopefully the silver lining to this is that the level design and difficulty level has been ramped up considerably for NSMB Wii.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

theRepublic said:
Xxain said:
Soriku said:
Xxain said:
Soriku said:
Vashyo said:
Xen said:

I haven't died in a Zelda game since A Link to the Past.  OoT is just as easy as TP.

Same here..but TP was easy pleasy

Ahh, yes. I can't any negative to this either, but hey, it's Nintendo who announcd this, so there are of course people going 'OMFG NOEZ NINTENDO IS FOR TEH CASUALZ, WII IS D00MED!!1'... All the haters crawl up out of their dark, muddy HD-holes to fling mud at the colorful realm that is Wii and Nintendo in general.

Like over 9,000 people before me said here, it's optional. So, erm, yeah. Why not have it. You don't HAVE to use it, and it's great for people who don't spend hours everyday playing videogames.

And I fully expect both Microsoft and Sony to copy this. That's a given. The question is: how long before they do so? If I were them, I'd do it soon. Get it over with. Everyone knows they'll do it eventually, anyway.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046