By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I don't understand the complaints about H3 graphics

So I think some people are a little touchy on both sides of the issue. Halo 3 looks good. Period. No question in my mind that the graphics are solid. However the first time I saw Gears of War, or Mario 64, or FF VII cutscenes, or even the first DVD I saw (Blade Runner) I had a completely awestruck feeling. The visuals were such that I couldn't help but stare with my mouth open. Halo 3 just does not fit in that catagory for me. Does that mean it is bad? No nothing of the sort. It just doesn't raise that bar in that category. And I think it is one more reason to look at Bioshock as Game of the Year.

And the Xbox fans need to relax. Yes the is plenty of nintendo and sony love going on here but you have to give us something to do while we wait for our messiahs.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

The game isn't bad, people just wanted better and with as highly hyped as a title like this is, you know everyone is going to be looking for things to call it on.

friedtofu said:
Its just people trying to nitpick Halo3. Any big hype game will get attacked by haters, so just learn to expect it.
It happened to Heavenly Sword a couple weeks ago, and now its Halo3.

Fanboys just love getting new ammo.

QFT.  The game looks amazing.  And I can't believe how smooth and beautiful it is when you are in Theater Mode and freeze the film and just glide around looking at it all.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

twesterm said:
eric.hastings said:
Check out this article
Then say H3 doesn't look great!
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6179901/index.html?tag=topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

I never said Halo 3 looks all around bad, it does look good, I just don't think the looks of the game are anything special. It's all been done before and done better. Hell, I would even go as far to say that metroid Prime 3 looks better than Halo 3. Once again, don't take this as a bad thing. A game doesn't have to be the best or even near the best to be good. Thinking a game isn't good because it isn't the best is like saying the team that loses the Superbowl sucks.

Once again, stop trying to defend Halo 3 is the best looking awesome game. Yes, it looks better than Halo 1 and Halo 2 which is nice, but Halo sells because of the insane awesome multiplayer not the graphics.

Metroid Prime 3 looks better than Halo 3? LMAO... thats funny
My friend BUY AND HDTV!!!!   or go to the eye doctor. 

You are right on the rest though, Halo 3's graphics are not the best but they are very respectable.  I just think people expected more becuase it is Halo.

Also, don't get me wrong Metroid looks amazing... but its not on the same level. 

thors1982 said:
twesterm said:
eric.hastings said:
Check out this article
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6179901/index.html?tag=topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

I never said Halo 3 looks all around bad, it does look good, I just don't think the looks of the game are anything special. It's all been done before and done better. Hell, I would even go as far to say that metroid Prime 3 looks better than Halo 3. Once again, don't take this as a bad thing. A game doesn't have to be the best or even near the best to be good. Thinking a game isn't good because it isn't the best is like saying the team that loses the Superbowl sucks.

Once again, stop trying to defend Halo 3 is the best looking awesome game. Yes, it looks better than Halo 1 and Halo 2 which is nice, but Halo sells because of the insane awesome multiplayer not the graphics.

Metroid Prime 3 looks better than Halo 3? LMAO... thats funny
My friend BUY AND HDTV!!!! or go to the eye doctor.

You are right on the rest though, Halo 3's graphics are not the best but they are very respectable. I just think people expected more becuase it is Halo.

Also, don't get me wrong Metroid looks amazing... but its not on the same level.

Graphically, Halo 3 is better but stylistically Metroid is a little better (don't argue with me on this one, it's merely a preference). At the very least it doesn't have horrible rooms like the one I pictured above or even lame desert environments, it just has interesting environments.

And yes, even though it doesn't matter in the least I have an HDTV (ignore the content of the video has nothing to do with the topic).

Around the Network
RussWakelin said:
Your shot was a low light scene, so the images aren't as clear. I'm just shocked at how many folks won't believe the game looks good.

And most of 'em are folks who haven't played it.

Of course you can find one or two reviews that think it looks ugly, but the VAST majority think it looks great.

Low lighting isn't what made that screenshot look bad, it was the fact it's the same boring texture EVERYWHERE and nothing in the room besides a pile of dirt.

And once again, I'm not trying to imply that Halo looks bad, I'm just saying that Halo sells because of the great multiplayer gameplay.  I really have no idea why people care so much that some people critisize Halo's graphics when this game is more about the gameplay than looking pretty. 

I didn't realize you could get your uploaded screenshots off of Bungie's site, a friend of mine was actually asking me if there was anyway to view those without owning H3 but I didn't know, time to revisit the theatre.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

twesterm said:
RussWakelin said:
you don't think that first picture looks HD?

Yeah, but what about the other two?

Or what about this one:

In the desert ones and especially whatever map this is (I haven't played it, this is a friends picture) the textures are terrible. I mean really, that's just one texture that it looks like they lifted from UT2k4 covering the floors, walls, and I imagine the ceiling too. To add to the embarrassment of the picture, there's nothing there except for what I can only guess is a pile of dirt. It's a boring room with one single crappy texture.

That all being said, I don't think Halo 3 looks bad, in fact I think it does look good for the most part, I just don't think it's near the best looking game and from what I've seen there are many lazy parts. Just accept that Halo 3 isn't an eye candy game that sells on looks, it's one that sells because of great multiplayer.

I thought everyone knew that the single-player and multi-player wouldn't have the same level of graphical detail? His 1st screenshot is from the Campaign, while the other two and your screenshot is from the multiplayer.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

I haven't played Halo 3 other than the beta and I assumed they should be pretty close. I know in general single player is better because you know where the player will go and where they are likely to go and not go but that's still a pretty big difference there.

eric.hastings said:
Check out this article

Gamespot changes their screens in photoshop to make the old ones look worse, they do this with all their comparisons.  I just played Halo1 and Halo2 the other day and they look alot better then the shots they showed, in most parts they look like the Halo3 shots.