By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Specs of Microsofts next XBox

NightAntilli said:
alephnull said:
NightAntilli said:

CPU:
If this is true, this CPU is gonna be VERY powerful.. People keep complaining the CPU of the X360 is not that strong, but that's simply not true. For games, general purpose computing is a big part of the calculations, while floating point is a small part, and the X360 CPU is based on general purpose, while the PS3 has only one general purpose core, and the other ones are floating point calculators, which means, if it wants to do general purpose, the calculations need to be emulated. And the 3 cores of the X360 can handle 6 threads in total, and if it's double, I guess they could do some wacky stuff with this...

Define "General purpose".

Any instruction/calculation regarding loading, integer, branch, store etc

So, an an SPE can execute 2 instructions simultaneously, but only if one is an "even" instruction and one is an "odd" instruction (assuming the instructions are aligned properly).

SP FP operations on an SPE have a 6 cycle latency on the even pipeline and Integer floating point (such as fma) operations have a 7 cycle latency on the even pipeline. Simple fixed point operations (such as addition, subtractionhave 2 cycle latency on the even pipeline. Compare operations have a 2 cycle latency (even) and branch operations have a 4 cycle latency (odd). Load/store operations have a 6 cycle latency (odd).

All of these instructions are fully pipeline-able without inducing any stalls as long as you double buffer loads.

When people say the SPEs are optimized for SPFP they are talking more about the fact that it's terrible at double precision. The primary inovation of the SPEs is their ability to hide memory access latency. This is the whole point of the crazy architecture and everyone seems to miss it.

Around the Network

I think the whole new xbox in 2010 idea is wierd considering they've just started milking money off the 360.

Stranger things have happened tho...

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

if the specs included blu-ray/ no disk drive and didn't have the 2* xenon being only as powerful as the cell which is rubbish then I might believe it.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Squilliam said:
alephnull said:

The architecture is extremely well balanced for a cache-coherent system (read: most architectures you are familar with). Three cores is generally considered the sweet spot in the literature -- i.e the point at which performance loss from bus and cache contention starts to outweigh any gain from the theoretical increase in FP-OPS. Not to mention the fact that each core has 2 sets of 128 SIMD registers compared to the cell PPE's 32. Though not as simple to get decent performance out of as so many seem to believe.

The problem is you have 6 potential threads all competing for main memory access via a single DMA controller and blugeoning the same 1MB of L2 cache run 1/2 clock speed. And since the whole point is to have a simple unified address space to make life easier for developers you have to address translations and take it from me, TLB misses are frequently of the main performance bottleneck and yet are probably one of the most subtle.

Doesn't the explicit DMA model of the Cell translate to improved performance here? I can't quite remember how to describe it, but from from what I have seen repeated thats what they do. It seems the L2 cache/DMA controller is one of the main reasons for the whole 'port code from PS3 -> Xbox 360' mantra thats been going on.

Yes, but the primary reason is unituitive. It comes from the fact that the 360 shares the memory bank with the video card. To explain I need to go into some background though (sorry if you already know this).

It is vastly more efficient (though technically not required for the cell) for the programmer/compiler to explicitly manage (some aspects) of DMA calls on an SPU because it is composed of two different core-like things with a "division of labor" which execute in parallel. The SPE gets to slosh around in it's 256KB playground while the MFC either very quickly borrows/shares from/with the other SPEs (all the SPEs can read each other's LS with almost no overhead) or grabs things from main memory via it's DMAC. The address space of the LS accessed via real physical addresses and hence, no translations of virtual addresses (there are actually 2 levels of address virtualization on the 360!) are required and so you don't need to cache those translations with a TLB for anything the SPE does.

On a cache coherent system the equivalent of these DMAC calls would happen when a normal load by a core (call it core A) has a cache miss. Since there was a cache miss, that cache has to go out to find the data from a higher level. But what happens if another core (call it core B) already has that address in it's L1 cache (which is always written through to L2 on the 360) and has been messing with it?

You need a way to keep B informed of any changed -- usually by B's cache snooping (intercepting) all reads to that physical address in main memory and L2 cache and broadcasting to A's cache (and every other core's cache) to backoff while it updates the changes. The process of setting this up is a bit involved and while this is being set up noone can access main memory to avoid two caches simulatneously requesting and thinking they are owners of a line.

So what does this have to do with the video card?

Well, on the 360 the video card has the ability read and write directly to main memory and L2 cache! So the 360 has to maintain coherency between all the L1 caches, the L2 cache, main memory, and the caches on the video card itself via the FSB. The video cards tendency to clober mass quatities of data doesn't help either.

Slimebeast said:

As I said, those specs are laughable and it's obviously fake, but let's imagine for a second that they were true.

People would laugh Microsoft in their face.

MS would be a pathetic 4 years behind in trying to "do a Nintendo" (Wii launched late 2006 - this 'only-twice-the-power-of-X360' console would launch in late 2010). MS would be run over by Sony's hardware powerhouse PS4 within a couple of years and lose all of their hardcore audience.

I disagree ... a twice powerful CPU and a new GPU seems like a great improvement. 200% performance boost is great considering how powerful original xbox360 processor and GPU are.

Remember, Gamecube's processor and GPU were less powerful than an XBOX (Single core Celeron 700 MHz and directx7 graphoics card). A GC1.5 was laughably underpowered compared to xBOX360 as it was compareable to an XBOX.

XBOX720 IF it is 200% more than XBOX360 will be REALLY poowerfull. Considering the fact that mid-range directx 10 graphics cards are more powerfull than high end directx 8 and 9 graphics card thsi would be awesome.

The only porblem I have with these specs is the fact that they are using SSD and DVD still. MS did not opt for HD-DVD as it would have increased costs and incurred delays. They like to go with tried and true technologies. A console has much less need of an SSD than a portable device. I doubt they would include SSD at an increased cost unless installation is MANDATORY as an SSD would provide much faster throughput/access-times than DVDs.

Edit: spelling errors

Around the Network

flame

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Idk if this is real or not. But this is NOT a new console. This isn't microsoft starting the 8th gen. This is still the 7th gen with a modified new sku that has natal intergration.

This is no different than the ps2 slim or pspGO etc. It'll be backwards and forwards compatible
even though forwards isn't exactly accurate as this would have to be a completely different machine when it isn't, it's the same machine slimmed down and slightly upgraded with natal intergrated with it.

Current 360 users can just buy a standalone natal unit and have the same thing only that they're 360 isn't quite as powerful. I'm especially skeptical about the SSD drive though. I can't imagine them including Natal which now seems like it'll probably be 100$ and include a more expensive drive while still keeping the unit at or under 300$. Unless they plan on taking the no profit road and planning to make the money with the games.

People. THIS IS STILL THE 7TH GENERATION. Stop clamoring for a new optical drive. They are sticking with dvd because they don't want to alienate the current 360 userbase. It's just not happening until NEXT GENERATION. Let it go, if you want next gen, this isnt it.

Fake. It's from a freewebs site. Who the hell still goes to freewebs anyways?

Looks like someone spent 5 minutes designing a blog website for free. Its terribly designed and theres an article Sega releasing a new console. WTF

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.