By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Specs of Microsofts next XBox

^^ squill: that all makes sense, but mostly seems to go to support for Nextbox, not support abandoning PS3.  And I'd contend that 360 had an easier time launching alone vs an aging, vastly weaker PS2, when everyone knew that a whole new gen was beginning, than Nextbox may have against a PS3 entering its prime.  It would be completely different, in fact.

And yeah, devs give up on Wii 1) not because of its 'difficult programming' I'll point out, 2) because it's so much weaker that ideas for PS3/360 games just probably won't work well on it, and most importantly 3) because the COMBINED install base of PS3/360(/PC) affords plenty of opportunity for sales.  That third point is very different than devs passing up PS3 to develop for a newer HD console with a small install base.

Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

^^ squill: that all makes sense, but mostly seems to go to support for Nextbox, not support abandoning PS3.  And I'd contend that 360 had an easier time launching alone vs an aging, vastly weaker PS2, when everyone knew that a whole new gen was beginning, than Nextbox may have against a PS3 entering its prime.  It would be completely different, in fact.

And yeah, devs give up on Wii 1) not because of its 'difficult programming' I'll point out, 2) because it's so much weaker that ideas for PS3/360 games just probably won't work well on it, and most importantly 3) because the COMBINED install base of PS3/360(/PC) affords plenty of opportunity for sales.  That third point is very different than devs passing up PS3 to develop for a newer HD console with a small install base.

Not really, most people don't give a crap about graphnics and the Xbox 1s overall market performance wasn't enough to really shoot it out of the gate. Furthermore it had constant supply/production issues. The PS2 in its prime is something to be scared of, that was 2005. The PS3 in its prime is something that you can get away with laughing at, holding your sides and rolling on the floor until you puke.

The next generation for PC really gets underway with Directx 11 and Windows 7. Up until recently Direct X 10+ adoption was pretty small, but soon there will be enough systems in the wild to really justify the next level of development. There are many excellent PC games which simply would not run on the Xbox 360 and PS3, with a combined focus on development, developers like ID, Crytek, Epic have a cross platform userbase to really target for their engine development. The really big thing would probably be the MMOs like WoW, Warhammer online etc etc which simply cannot easily run on any console due to  both performance and interface.

Tease.

That would be a ripoff to those who own current Xbox's as it probably won't be forward compatible, so higher end games wouldn't work on current Xbox's

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@squill: I wasn't talking XBox vs PS2 in its prime, I was talking 360 against late PS2 when PS3 was already on the way, which was easier for 360 than it will be for a new console vs PS3.  Period.  Laughing puking comment impotently aside.

MMOs can be done on PS3, as there's mouse/keyboard support and devs get to pic how they want to implement online stuff over PSN.

Slimebeast said:
NJ5 said:
Slimebeast said:
Impossible. So laughable specs. You're just giving this unknown blog hits.

Why are they laughable? It's basically similar to the GC->Wii transition.

Not that I trust the report...

After 5 years MS releases a console with an even smaller HW upgrade than GC-Wii?

RAM only 1024MB. 512MB was already so damn small. RAM is cheap now compared with the time when X360 was designed (and launched). They wouldnt just double such an important thing.

GPU only 600Mhz clockrate? By late 2010 even the slowest budget GPUs from AMD will have a lot higher clockrates.

They want to "cut cost" but include a costly SSD drive? Crazy talk.

CPU running just as fast, but having twice as many cores.. how convenient lol. Sounds like an amateur made that up.

the ram on a console may seam small compared to a pc but there's no bloated operating system so you dont need 4 gigs plus with intergrated 32 gig memmory maybe they'll use a swap file this time around.

clock speeds in pc have come to a stand still adding more cores is what they do or you would see 4 ghz pc clock speed with out cooling and overclocking. faster requires more power and tremendous heat.

it seams possible the problem is this would graphically pown ps3 and force sony to move faster then they want.

Around the Network
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

@squill: I wasn't talking XBox vs PS2 in its prime, I was talking 360 against late PS2 when PS3 was already on the way, which was easier for 360 than it will be for a new console vs PS3.  Period.  Laughing puking comment impotently aside.

MMOs can be done on PS3, as there's mouse/keyboard support and devs get to pic how they want to implement online stuff over PSN.

Noone cares about mouse/kb support on the PS3. I have a HTPC and I use a KB on my lap quite often and its a complete PITA. The Xbox 360 vs PS2 was an unfair comparison against the Xbox 360. The PS2 had about a million games coming out whilst the Xbox 360 was starting from zero and the PS2 was a LOT cheaper as well. The PS3 as a console is JUST one of three, Sony has jack all in the way of enticing 1st party games outside of GT and its the weakest of the three. 

MMOs can be done on the PS3, but they cannot be done well. Thats the important difference. 220MB of sysem memory is a pittance compared to the ram used by most MMO games.

Tease.

FAKE Basically replicates a PS3!!!!

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Christ, squills.  Mention 'interface' which I thought could be well addressed by pointing out the freedom allowed by the PSN and the possibility of mouse and keyboard, and it's "no one cares about mouse and keyboard on PS3". 

This following "no one cares about graphics".

No one except the early adopters that MS will have to convince to buy a new hardware configuration so soon.  And they're out there, I disagree with you, there are 10 million early adopters that want more graphics now. 

My point from the beginning was that PS3 will not lose dev support, barring moneyhatting which is already present anyway.  Will not.

As for console RAM and MMOs: PS3 is getting FF XIV,  woot! 

It wasn't always about graphics. It's that "I got to have this day one!" type person. I was one of them and I did not want to miss the latest and greatest thing that would give me the flashing lights twice - the xbox 360.

I mean, all I really had was Geometry Wars and Call of Duty 2 for several months, but I didn't care.

It's just that simple.

wow alot of people in this thread completley missed the point. This would still be a 360 just an upgraded one like a DS and DS Lite, obviously this would be a bigger jump than the example given but this would be meant to be just a better more powerful 360, not the 360's successor.

And its a fantastic idea.