By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Specs of Microsofts next XBox

BenVTrigger said:
wow alot of people in this thread completley missed the point. This would still be a 360 just an upgraded one like a DS and DS Lite, obviously this would be a bigger jump than the example given but this would be meant to be just a better more powerful 360, not the 360's successor.

And its a fantastic idea.

That's not really true. The DS Lite didn't increase processing power, so games run equally on both models.

If an upgraded 360 appears and Microsoft wants games to work on both consoles, that will be a pain in the ass for developers. It would be one big step closer to PC-like development, where you have to let the game scale itself to the processing power of each model.

They might also have to support both consoles with and without Natal, resulting in harder development and probably gimmicky optional motion controls, or dumbed-down games on the 360 without Natal.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
BenVTrigger said:
wow alot of people in this thread completley missed the point. This would still be a 360 just an upgraded one like a DS and DS Lite, obviously this would be a bigger jump than the example given but this would be meant to be just a better more powerful 360, not the 360's successor.

That's not really true. The DS Lite didn't increase processing power, so games run equally on both models.

If an upgraded 360 appears and Microsoft wants games to work on both consoles, that will be a pain in the ass for developers. It would be one big step closer to PC-like development, where you have to let the game scale itself to the processing power of each model.

They might also have to support both consoles with and without Natal, resulting in harder development and probably gimmicky optional motion controls, or dumbed-down games on the 360 without Natal.

yeah i realize DS Lite didn't change anything in terms of power I was just giving an example that this is still meant to be the same system just a better version though my example wasn't the best.  Also games could be programmed just like PC games where your given options of graphic settings if you have the newer xbox simply choose the high settings whereas older 360's would choose medium / low.  It wouldn't be very difficult at all for programmers to work around.

NJ5 said:
BenVTrigger said:

I agree with you on this, they should really concentrate on new XB instead of making a slightly more poweful remake. I bet there will be ambitious game developers who just forget about the first XB360 and push XBN to it's limits.

Keyboard and mouse support is irrelevant. Its completely impractical for use by most people. Theres no point in mentioning it really. I could play a FPS on my PC with a track pad, but its not like its worth mentioning now is it?

Most people don't care about graphics beyond having a functioning, visually pleasing game. Better graphics is still generally better but not at the sacrafice of other important factors such as gameplay.

Early adoption isn't applicable in this case. Its an updated specification not a completely new console architecture. People will continue to buy the console for the reasons why they buy the console now.

The PS3 will lose the dev support of the companies wanting to push the envelope technologically. Just having a directx 11 GPU is enough to entice most of the publishers to build a game engine specifically for Xnext/PC.

Tease.

BenVTrigger said:
NJ5 said:
BenVTrigger said:

yeah i realize DS Lite didn't change anything in terms of power I was just giving an example that this is still meant to be the same system just a better version though my example wasn't the best.  Also games could be programmed just like PC games where your given options of graphic settings if you have the newer xbox simply choose the high settings whereas older 360's would choose medium / low.  It wouldn't be very difficult at all for programmers to work around.

But then games won't take full advantage of the more powerful hardware on the new models. Graphics can work better (higher resolution, framerate and even texture detail), but if you want to take advantage of the added CPU cores and RAM it's quite a lot harder to make it work on both.

A big advantage of developing for consoles is ease of coding and testing... I doubt that making consoles more like PCs is a good strategy both for developers and gamers.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

LOL

I can see this happening, but I can see the crazies who only care about power being very upset. Good strategical move following Nintendo, though.

tedsteriscool said:
I can see this happening, but I can see the crazies who only care about power being very upset. Good strategical move following Nintendo, though.

Exactly why would MS restart their console cycle when the Xbox 360 just started making a profit?

Squilliam said:
Keyboard and mouse support is irrelevant. Its completely impractical for use by most people. Theres no point in mentioning it really. I could play a FPS on my PC with a track pad, but its not like its worth mentioning now is it?

Most people don't care about graphics beyond having a functioning, visually pleasing game. Better graphics is still generally better but not at the sacrafice of other important factors such as gameplay.

Well, as of this point and time, consoles don't do RTS well at all.  Maybe motion control is an answer, but so far the high point of console RTS is Halo Wars, and that isn't saying much at all.  It is an ok RTS game, but not that memorable anywhere, outsode of on consoles.  Stick Halo Wars on the PC, and it will get knocked as a mediocre game.

Why in the Hell would they be using GDDR5 for SYSTEM memory?

Whoever made this shit up hasn't done any research into PC hardware.