By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: MotionPlus-exclusive Zelda Wii a goal, minimum story for Galaxy 2

Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto has been discussing a few important items pertaining to both Zelda Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2. First, on the prospect of Link’s future outing on the Wii, Miyamoto has stated that the development team’s goal is to “make Wii MotionPlus required in order to play Zelda.” Miyamoto had mentioned at his E3 round table that a MotionPlus-exclusive Zelda title was being considered, but nothing is concrete for now. However, it really seems as though Nintendo could take a similar path as Ubisoft’s Red Steel 2 in that you will need MotionPlus to play Zelda Wii.

“The goal at this point is that we would make Wii MotionPlus required in order to play Zelda. The bigger hurdle for us is not really whether people have a Wii MotionPlus or don’t have it, it’s whether or not the experience is one where people will think they want to have a Wii Motion Plus in order to experience it. There may be a group of people out there who look at people playing motion control games and have a hesitancy to try to play those because they’re worried that they might not look so cool, swinging a Wii remote around. But in watching people play New Super Mario Bros. Wii, even though it’s just a simple shaking motion, I’m watching people play (it) with a big grin on their face. So I’m hoping that we might be able to create a similar-feeling experience for Zelda.

Another point brought up by Miyamoto is that Super Mario Galaxy 2 will be light in terms of the storyline. Whereas the first game possessed a fairly deep story with Rosalina’s origins, it was explained that “there won’t be a need for as deep a story” in the sequel.

“I’d like to go with as little story as possible. I’ve always felt that the Mario games themselves aren’t particularly suited to having a very heavy story…I just feel that the Mario games are something that should be a much more bright and active experience,” he said. “With the Mario games, you don’t need to have such a complicated setting where you have these particular characters with complicated backstories that can weigh down the bright and fun feel of the game…Mr. Koizumi is the type of person who, whenever we’re working on a new Mario game, he always wants to bring more story elements into it, as he did with Super Mario Galaxy. But in talking with him this time, he agrees and feels that with Galaxy 2, there won’t be a need for as deep of a story. I think you did see a person carved out of a tree stump in the trailer. That person has a bit of a story.”

Source:http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=18073

Full interview:http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/shigeru-miyamoto-interview/

A Zelda game using Wii motion plus? Will this really work guys? Well we are talking about Miyamoto here, everything can happen.

Around the Network

I dont want it to be MotionPlus exclusive. But minimal story would be nice in SMG2.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition FC 0025-4434-1221

MSG ME AS YOU ADD.

Since this is Zelda we are talking about, making it MotionPlus only wouldn't stop the "core" users from buying it first week.

I'd still buy that. WM+ is supposed to enhance gaming.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

if motion + really improves the controls in zelda, than i am all for it being a must have item to truly experience zelda.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

A mario game without much story!!! That would be totally unheard of.

Hope Zelda is wii motion plus only. That would suggest some amazing sword fighting.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

I've wanted 1:1 motion based swordplay in a Zelda game ever since the Wii launched. Zelda M+ exclusive? DO IT!

I LOVE ICELAND!

Deepline storyline in SMG? It was only a few pages of children book that we weren't even obligated to read.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Deep is a relative word, after all. And galaxy's story was deep as far as Mario stories went.

As for Motion Plus, i don't really know what to think. To have total control over the sword combat at all times, i think that would end up making some of the fighting a bit too tactical (in that you have to swing a certain way for damage to register), but otherwise its a good idea.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Posted here http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76765&page=1 (another locked dupe)

and here http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76764

Before you posted your thread.

~locked~

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000