By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Assassins Creed sold 4,5 million on 360 and only 120k on Pc?

shio said:
Slimebeast said:
Stan85 said:

Exactly,you can rent a console game if you don`t have the money to buy it. You can`t do that with Pc games.

But why whould you rent a Pc game when you can download it in the privacy of your own home?

Still,Condemned 2,Battlefield BC,Gears 2,Fable 2,Forza 3,Halo 3,Ninja Gaiden 2,Halo Wars,Lost Odyssey,Bayonetta,Army of Two 2,Dante`s Inferno,Darksiders,Space Marines,FF 13,Risen and many more future games will be on consoles and not on Pc,so...not everyone is "stupid to release on Pc"

And this looks to be only the tip of the iceberg,things don`t look good for the future of Pc gaming.

True, the devs and publishers are getting wiser. I really hope they refuse to release their biggest games on PC.
(I mean, I pirate PC games myself but it's wrong.. and the best way to stop it, is simply to make it impossible)

Huh, that's not even close to what's happening. We are seeing more and more PC support and exclusive PC games from developers and publishers. Just look at EA and Square-Enix - both are giving so much support to PC gaming that is affecting the releases on consoles.

EA for example, their 3 biggest games in the last 12 months were PC exclusives: Spore, Sims 3 and Warhammer Online. Square-Enix just annouced as many PC games as any HD console, FFXIV and Front Mission coming to PC and with heavy rumors that FFXIII will also come to PC. They also recently released Yosumin and The Last Remnant with exclusive Steam achievements.

But your list is smaller than Stan85's list of games that won't get a PC version.

And the big selling games on PC are very niched games, like WoW, WAR online, Spore and The Sims - traditional gamers aren't interested in those games. Nowadays only Diablo and Starcraft are big PC exclusive games that traditional gamers are interested in.
(Civilization and Empire series should be counted too)

The PC market as a whole is quite an awkward market nowadays, from where you can pick some gems and a few console to PC ports.

Around the Network

Mouse + KB suck with assasin's creed :)

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

The only games that do well on PC are RTS, FPS, WRPGS, and Puzzle Games.

Action Games rarely do well on the PC.

More PC versions of games are delayed primarily due to console versions being more profitable and less pirated than PC games. PC gaming is plagued by piracy. More games are pirated on PC than games actually sold for PC. 360 games are pirated but not as much as PC games.

PS3 is the only system that is free from piracy thanks to Blu-Ray discs and the Cell. Sony has stopped piracy with the PS3. Piracy is a major problem with all consoles (except for pirate free PS3) and handhelds which reduce sales of games and robs developers from making money from the sales of games.

Assassins Creed is a game specifically designed for consoles and the PC version of the game has suffered from bugs, glitches and substandard controls of KB and mouse make the game hard to play on PC. PC games also demands high system specifications in order to play the games so people with two or three year old PCs can forget about being able to play the game unless they upgrade their PCs.

For me the only reason to buy a legit copy of the game if that game has a good multiplayer network like battle.net..but now with services like garena & hamachi network providing the multiplayer services for free i can just happily bittorrent multiplayer games now lol

Around the Network
PS3beats360 said:
More PC versions of games are delayed primarily due to console versions being more profitable and less pirated than PC games. PC gaming is plagued by piracy. More games are pirated on PC than games actually sold for PC. 360 games are pirated but not as much as PC games.

PS3 is the only system that is free from piracy thanks to Blu-Ray discs and the Cell. Sony has stopped piracy with the PS3. Piracy is a major problem with all consoles (except for pirate free PS3) and handhelds which reduce sales of games and robs developers from making money from the sales of games.

Assassins Creed is a game specifically designed for consoles and the PC version of the game has suffered from bugs, glitches and substandard controls of KB and mouse make the game hard to play on PC. PC games also demands high system specifications in order to play the games so people with two or three year old PCs can forget about being able to play the game unless they upgrade their PCs.

Great post. Keep in mind that developers port the game to Pc to make even more profit then they do on consoles.

But,if the platform is plagued by piracy,they will not make a profit,because people will easy pirate the game and will not buy the console version.

I don`t understand why developers port for Pc if the game is single player only...people can pirate the game,finish it and delete it. Simple.

If developers release the game on 360/ps3,they will get the sales they need to recoup the investment AND make a profit for a sequal. The publishers/developers clearly see the torrent sites and the low Pc sales,everyone keeps talking about the Pc suffering a slow death,but the numbers for Pc sales look good because of MMO`s (wow,age of conan,etc) and casual games (sims,etc). Hardcore games don`t look interesting to hardcore players because many moved to consoles because they PURCHASED games and didn`t want to upgrade anymore,suffer framerate deeps,software problems AND the fact that torrent sites alowed many people to keep the money in the bank.

That is why many ps3 players have a Pc-to play all the Pc/360 games and many times they to not PAY for the game.

Think about it,will you buy Splinter Cell when you can get it free on the same day the 360 version comes out? Alan Wake? Mass Effect 2?

If you are short on money,will many torrent the game? Yes,they will. In a surprising way,renting console games the 1`st day they hit the stores helps the developers and the broke users in the same way,but pirating does not. You can`t rent Pc games,so...no.

A great game I forgot to put in the "Consoles only" is Castlevania,directed by Kojima...so I think the consoles have plenty of support from the developers/publishers. And while the market gets bigger,so will the support.

Starcraft 2,Diablo 3,WOW,Half Life,etc will always sell...but not every game sells on Pc,and piracy is not helping it. And it`s not going away.

Stan85 said:

Hardcore games don`t look interesting to hardcore players because many moved to consoles because they PURCHASED games and didn`t want to upgrade anymore,suffer framerate deeps,software problems AND the fact that torrent sites alowed many people to keep the money in the bank.

"Hardcore players" are the often the ones who most enjoy upgrading hardware, tweaking the framerate, etc etc.

And, I've said this before, but I'll say it again... there's nothing to prevent people from owning BOTH.  If you choose sides, the only guarantee I can make is you're missing something on the other side. 

This is a case piracy would be a good excuse. Why. Because the game came out way after. Any game that comes out after a significant amount of time will have noticeably reduced sales. People who want the game will buy it sooner than later. After 6 months most of the people who were going to buy it already did. This left only a small handful left that would on the PC. On PC older games do indeed get more pirated. Six months the game becomes old even if it's just released on the platform. It's a fact of life. The PC culture is different. You can't treat it like a console.

Ubisoft isn't shooting themselves in the foot by releasing it on PC, but by taking so long. If it was a simultaneous release they would see better numbers. However check out games like Oblivion and Fallout3. You can seem much better sales by having an early PC release than later.

Since VGChartz doesn't track Fo3 for PC.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/153399/47_million_copies_of_fallout_3_shipped_to_stores.html

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Fallout+3+-+PS3&reg2=All&game2=Fallout+3+-+X360&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100

Even the XBox only hitting 2.4m. Also let's face another truth Fallout 3 was probably also one the most pirated games out there. In that light there was on the above article a need to ship 4.7 million copies to retailers. Even if we hypothetically said that PC piracy was soo bad that double the number of purchased copies(4m) were pirated(8m). That still leaves the PC version having sold more than the PS360. Yes the PC game was more pirated, but it almost didn't matter because it did better on the PC anyways.

So if Ubisoft want to be that stupid and release a game later and not pay attention to the PC Culture and behaviour. Well then that's too bad for all the companies that shaft the PC with later releases.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

I can't believe it sold as much as it did. I played it on ps3 and it was a glitchy mess of a game. I fell through the terrain and was forced to reset twice in my first hour of play. Amazing how it even saw release in that state.

These "don't put anything on the PC because it will be pirated" arguments are silly, but on topic here...

Stan85, your comparison is garbage. You are comparing VGchartz numbers to a number casually tossed out during an interview and from that somehow concluding how many copies have been sold on PC. Your inference doesn't work because you are assuming that VGC numbers are 100% accurate, that Assassin's Creed has sold exactly 8 million copies, and especially that these numbers are cross comparable. The reality is we have no idea how the PC version sold as there is no retail data available that I've seen, and Steam doesn't release sales data.

That said, this game does seem to be pretty heavily pirated. The reasons for that have been outlined by others.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Bad port and delayed. Thats why it sold like crap. Release a game a good 6 months later and people are just simply over it. I'd be willing to bet that if it had released on the same day the sales would have been far stronger.