By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DO NOT BUY Grand Slam Tennis!

Oopppsssss. Just did buy it.
sorry

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
peachbuggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Gamerace said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I never planned on buying that piece of shit. When I buy the Wii for my mother I'll just let her play Wii Sports Tennis, because that is the only valuable Tennis game. I of course will only play Tennis games with controls that match the playing style of actual players that exist. This cannot be done with Wii-motes. It demands actual controllers, because you cannot emulate everyones style efficiently yet with new peripherals. Top Spin and Virtua Tennis are the top Tennis games to buy if you are a serious Tennis gaming fan.

Someone is living in denial...

At least according to the people who play actual tennis and leave Grand Slam reviews on Amazon/IGN and such.  Think I'll trust their judgement over someone who can only play with analog sticks and buttons.  Thanks for your valuble opinion though...

You don't have to take my opinion. Wii-motes at this point cannot accurately correlate to actual playing styles. Normal multi-button controllers can. Players have their unique styles. Wii Sports Tennis is a good game, and my mother doesn't game, but she is open to the Nintendo Wii experience which seemed far easier to her than playing what I play. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone who is a serious Tennis gaming fan; that is just my word and you don't have to take it. People who want to play these types of games in a hardcore fashion will want full customizability and accurate stats and styles of actual players.

What a load of shit! You actually believe that do you? Well you carry on living in your own little world where the Wii is shit and REAL tennis players don't know what they are talking about.

Who said the Wii was shit. All I told you guys was that I was buying it for my mother. It's a better system for novices of gaming.

So out of curiousity then, what do you think about Virtua Tennis which offers the exact same fetures on Wii as it does on the HD system except with superior controls (you can do much more with WM+ controls than the buttons)?   Or Tiger Woods where the Wii version is universially decried as the definitive version to get / the greatest golf game ever made and has more features than it's HD counterparts?  Still for novices?

The thing that annoys me is that its metacritic score is largely down because of the people that can barely play tennis in the first place, and then expect the game to play it for them.

Twilightman on Gametrailers

xcot said:
The thing that annoys me is that its metacritic score is largely down because of the people that can barely play tennis in the first place, and then expect the game to play it for them.

For what it's worth the Metacritic score will sort itself out eventually.  If those low scores are simply due to a couple of unprofessional reviewers not allowing enough time to get used to the controls then the scores will get swallowed up by the majority.  If it receives highly polarised reviews then clearly it does have some accessability issues and deserves to be marked down.  I have no problem with the controls being hard to get used to as long as they ultimately allow me to control the game with a high degree of precision, so i for one am not yet turned off.

Goodlife said:
Oopppsssss. Just did buy it.
sorry

LooooooL!!!

i'll buy it tomorrow  :  )

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network

So, got it today and played it for half a day now and I'm utterly disappointed. Sure, after some practice it clicks and you know what to do and how to win, but it's just not intuitive.

And that's the big thing I expected from Motion Plus games, to be intuitive and transfer motions you know from real sports 1:1 into the game. In GST, you have motion controls, but you have to swing the Wiimote the way the game wants you to and not the way you would do it on the tennis court. Also, it's not 1:1 but has some delay.

Additionally, it sometimes just does not do what you wanted and your player hits early. Does not happen that often after some hours of practice, but it should NEVER happen, because it totally kills the fun and it absolutely kills the outlook of having instant-fun multiplayer matches with your friends due to the imprecise controls and slow learning curve.

Let's see next week how Virtua Tennis implemented M+ and it looks like Sports Resort is a much better example of what M+ can do. Really looking forward to table tennis.  GST just isn't the revolution one was hoping for but rather an updated version of Top Spin Wii with all it's faults.

I'll wait for Wii SPorts resort. However, It's hard to say if Grand slam tennis is worth without playing regarding the load of reviews. A demo service would have been fine, but I guess there are good reasons for nintendo to not allow that.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

another mixed review of GST

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Grand_Slam_Tennis_Wii_Review/4993

any impressions of new owners of the game or comparisons to VT 2009 ?

Improvements are caused by people who complain

This is why you wait until July 26th to get Wii Sports Resort so you can have WM+

Why are people ignoring VT2009?

GST impressions everywhere everyday. No VT2009 ffs!