By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DO NOT BUY Grand Slam Tennis!

tuoyo said:
STAGE why exactly did you come into this thread?

Because the topic says "DO NOT BUY Grand Slam Tennis" and I wholeheartedly agree. :)

Around the Network

this game has a learning curve, works more like a game than actual tennis, and you really want to use the analog stick.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Gamerace said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I never planned on buying that piece of shit. When I buy the Wii for my mother I'll just let her play Wii Sports Tennis, because that is the only valuable Tennis game. I of course will only play Tennis games with controls that match the playing style of actual players that exist. This cannot be done with Wii-motes. It demands actual controllers, because you cannot emulate everyones style efficiently yet with new peripherals. Top Spin and Virtua Tennis are the top Tennis games to buy if you are a serious Tennis gaming fan.

Someone is living in denial...

At least according to the people who play actual tennis and leave Grand Slam reviews on Amazon/IGN and such.  Think I'll trust their judgement over someone who can only play with analog sticks and buttons.  Thanks for your valuble opinion though...

You don't have to take my opinion. Wii-motes at this point cannot accurately correlate to actual playing styles. Normal multi-button controllers can. Players have their unique styles. Wii Sports Tennis is a good game, and my mother doesn't game, but she is open to the Nintendo Wii experience which seemed far easier to her than playing what I play. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone who is a serious Tennis gaming fan; that is just my word and you don't have to take it. People who want to play these types of games in a hardcore fashion will want full customizability and accurate stats and styles of actual players.

What a load of shit! You actually believe that do you? Well you carry on living in your own little world where the Wii is shit and REAL tennis players don't know what they are talking about.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Gamerace said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I never planned on buying that piece of shit. When I buy the Wii for my mother I'll just let her play Wii Sports Tennis, because that is the only valuable Tennis game. I of course will only play Tennis games with controls that match the playing style of actual players that exist. This cannot be done with Wii-motes. It demands actual controllers, because you cannot emulate everyones style efficiently yet with new peripherals. Top Spin and Virtua Tennis are the top Tennis games to buy if you are a serious Tennis gaming fan.

At least according to the people who play actual tennis and leave Grand Slam reviews on Amazon/IGN and such.  Think I'll trust their judgement over someone who can only play with analog sticks and buttons.  Thanks for your valuble opinion though...

You don't have to take my opinion. Wii-motes at this point cannot accurately correlate to actual playing styles. Normal multi-button controllers can. Players have their unique styles. Wii Sports Tennis is a good game, and my mother doesn't game, but she is open to the Nintendo Wii experience which seemed far easier to her than playing what I play. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone who is a serious Tennis gaming fan; that is just my word and you don't have to take it. People who want to play these types of games in a hardcore fashion will want full customizability and accurate stats and styles of actual players.

What a load of shit! You actually believe that do you? Well you carry on living in your own little world where the Wii is shit and REAL tennis players don't know what they are talking about.

Who said the Wii was shit. All I told you guys was that I was buying it for my mother. It's a better system for novices of gaming.

man, that's not good. I hope Virtua Tennis proves a better performer than this. What a let down on the controls.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
tuoyo said:
STAGE why exactly did you come into this thread?

Because the topic says "DO NOT BUY Grand Slam Tennis" and I wholeheartedly agree. :)

Did you play it?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

S.T.A.G.E. look at my signature, you'll do the same thing next year except that you won't be cute to look at.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
peachbuggy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Gamerace said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Who said the Wii was shit. All I told you guys was that I was buying it for my mother. It's a better system for novices of gaming.

yes, I agree that it has more accessible games, but don't forget the not so novice ones on that very same system -_^b that aside, I hope you will play with your mother =P

the game rules and the controls are great, i don't understand what's the point of this thread and the Eurogamer or smth review

but the most reviews say it's a great games, and i have to agree with IGN

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Gamerace said:
famousringo said:
**Slash** said:

i'm just too angry right now to make reasonable statements :)

i haven't tried out all the modes and online and that stuff which might be alright, i'm just talking about the controls.

without wm+ u can hit the ball with no problems and also direct the ball where u want but to get slices and top spins right it's worse compared to wii sports tennis.

with wm+ the controls is all over the place nearly no 1v1 tracking, everything with a delay. To get the direction of the ball right is a bitch, slice and top spin work usually alright and r easier to make than without wm+ but ur caracter runs all over the place so that u often stand wrong to the ball and make a wrong and not intended hit or even make a swing to early or no swing at all.

i was expecting much better and more precise controls than this, maybe virtua tennis is beter i dont know, tiger woods 10 definatley is.

I think this is the crux of most control problems with the game. People play with no nunchuk and the auto-run puts them in an awkward position. It sounds like people who play with a nunchuk have a better experience, although managing your swing while navigating your position is a more complicated game than some people want to play.

I've read a lot of the reviews both from critics and users and I think Ringo is right here.   Seems like people who are playing without the nunchuk and wanted Wii Sports Tennis + are very frustrated because the characters run in a logical way to get the ball but not in tune with your swing, so you may be saying backhand but the character in swinging forehand because of his positioning.  They have a better experience without WM+ (since expectations lessen)

People who play with the nunchuk on the other hand virtually don't have this problem because they are positioning themselves and therefore get the shots they are expecting to get.  But if your not used to nunchuk control either this is an even greater learning curve.

I havn't played it yet though, I'm waiting for Virtua reviews so I can compare.

When you use the Nunchuck can you slam with the remote as well if you know by any chance?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo