By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN Tiger Woods review 9.0

I LOVE it. It is the golf game we always wanted on work.

It just works!!

Especially putting which was always a problem, now feels completely natural.

And inclusion of Disc (frisbee) Golf is awesome! Even if you don't care for a golf sim itself the game is worth it for just Disc Golf and the party game modes.

Plus you'll save on the cost of WM+ too.

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
never played a golf game before, maybe now is the time!

Neither have I. I agree!

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

PorkChopTD said:
amp316 said:
The frisbee golf is actually the part of this game that makes me want to possibly buy it. Anyone that's ever played frisbee golf would understand why. It is a fun game to play.

This is so fun, it is more realistic than the golf even!!!  The most realistic thing I've played on the wii.

Unlike previous TW games the putting is spot on too!

I have to disagree with you there. 

while the disc golf is somewhat realistic, the physics seem a bit wonkey to me at times.  If you throw a tomahawk/hammer style (as I often do for approach shots in disc golf) the disc doesnt flip like it does in real life.  Furthermore, you cant create an S curve from what i've seen, which kind of puts a damper on tee shots.  Collision detection is also spotty at times, with weird bounces and little to no rolling, which is also kind of a bummer because I like to play the roll.

That said, its still great fun, and your fidelity of control is pretty damn amazing, if not unrealistic at times.

polezo said:
PorkChopTD said:
amp316 said:
The frisbee golf is actually the part of this game that makes me want to possibly buy it. Anyone that's ever played frisbee golf would understand why. It is a fun game to play.

This is so fun, it is more realistic than the golf even!!!  The most realistic thing I've played on the wii.

Unlike previous TW games the putting is spot on too!

while the disc golf is somewhat realistic, the physics seem a bit wonkey to me at times.  If you throw a tomahawk/hammer style (as I often do for approach shots in disc golf) the disc doesnt flip like it does in real life.  Furthermore, you cant create an S curve from what i've seen, which kind of puts a damper on tee shots.  Collision detection is also spotty at times, with weird bounces and little to no rolling, which is also kind of a bummer because I like to play the roll.

That said, its still great fun, and your fidelity of control is pretty damn amazing, if not unrealistic at times.

Yeah, IGN noted that Disc Golf seemed amazingly authentic, until you played Frisbee in Wii Sports Resort which has better physics behind it and then you notice the difference.   But it's still great fun and a fantastic addition.

polezo said:

Eh?

What does throwing hammer style mean? I would assume vertical? (ie if you have the disc flat in front of you, tip it 90^ clockwise)
I obviously don't use frisbees a lot but I would think if you throw it like that it just goes straight to ground.

I guess I am missing the meaning of tomahawk/hammer style, or there is some technique I am unfamiliar with (my frisbee experiences involve getting it to go in a straight line)

Around the Network

Wow... i wish EA sports would show the same effort for all the sports games, especially FIFA =\

Given the reviews, I am almost ready to go out and get this game -- which I had no desire to buy before the reviews.

Notice the places the game got nicked -- graphics and music -- exactly the places where it cannot, by definition, live up to the same standards as the HD consoles. But it sounds like other than that this is a superior version.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

TWRoO said:
polezo said:

Eh?

What does throwing hammer style mean? I would assume vertical? (ie if you have the disc flat in front of you, tip it 90^ clockwise)
I obviously don't use frisbees a lot but I would think if you throw it like that it just goes straight to ground.

I guess I am missing the meaning of tomahawk/hammer style, or there is some technique I am unfamiliar with (my frisbee experiences involve getting it to go in a straight line)

Yes, it means throwing it overhand, not neccesarily from 90 degrees though; (more like anywhere from 60 degrees to 120 degrees, depending on when you want it to flip).  This video is dark, but is the best example and explanation of it... the throw itself is not til the very end, about the 1:30 mark:

Its called "thumbing" if you throw it with the flat part of the disc facing the other end.  Here's an example of the S curve too... the best throw is the third one in the video @ 37 seconds in.  It curves right for a long distance then flexes back left...

I'm interested to see if Wii Sports Resort get the physics accurate enough for throws like these.  Playing disc golf at TPC Sawgrass is certainly cool enough to make up for the subpar physics in TW though.  I cant wait to get home and play another 18 of both Disc golf and a tourney on my tour.

The S-curve looks pretty neat.... does it need wind to do something like that?

As for the tomahawk thing.... tbh it just looked like he chucked it vertically, If I could see properly I wouldn't be suprised if it cut into the ground where it landed.

As for the videos in general, I didn't even realise disc-golf was a real sport.

TWRoO said:
The S-curve looks pretty neat.... does it need wind to do something like that?

As for the tomahawk thing.... tbh it just looked like he chucked it vertically, If I could see properly I wouldn't be suprised if it cut into the ground where it landed.

As for the videos in general, I didn't even realise disc-golf was a real sport.

Nope, you dont need wind to make it flex--the disc bends that way naturally with airflow from your throw.

And yes, disc golf is one of the fastest growing sports in the world, and there are tournaments pros and amatuers, everything just like in regular golf. 

Haha, i actually just checked www.PDGA.com and Tiger Woods Wii is on the front page of that site right now.

Also, if anybody gets inspired by TWii 2010, and wants to play real disc golf, you can find if there are any courses in your area from here:

http://www.pdga.com/course-directory?s=92ed251cc74700dcfdad109bef1285cd