By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If MS doesn't come 1st next gen or the gen after , should they pull out ?

Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
I think we've got a much better chance of losing the Playstation brand, than the Xbox brand, over the next two generations.

I think we've got a much better chance of loosing the playstation console under Sony than we do the XBOX under microsoft . But if we're talking about brands alone then you've got to be kidding . No other console could have survived at the PS3's price point and Sony owes that to the playstation brand , yes the XBOX brand has increased significantly in strength but that's due to measures that MS has taken the force the XBOX on the consumer (the Arcade for example).

How is it possible that the expensive PS3 is able to sell within range of the 360 despite the fact that even the PSP cost more than a new 360 ? if the siutation was reversed there is no way the 360 would be able to sell on par.

That's a decade + worth of history mate.

If Apple had a choice between buying Playstation and everything it represents (I.P's , development resources etc) or the XBOX brand I think we all know what the obvious chocie would be.

What does Apple have to do with this discussion?

Around the Network
puffy said:
Million said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
I think we've got a much better chance of losing the Playstation brand, than the Xbox brand, over the next two generations.

I think we've got a much better chance of loosing the playstation console under Sony than we do the XBOX under microsoft . But if we're talking about brands alone then you've got to be kidding . No other console could have survived at the PS3's price point and Sony owes that to the playstation brand , yes the XBOX brand has increased significantly in strength but that's due to measures that MS has taken the force the XBOX on the consumer (the Arcade for example).

How is it possible that the expensive PS3 is able to sell within range of the 360 despite the fact that even the PSP cost more than a new 360 ? if the siutation was reversed there is no way the 360 would be able to sell on par.

That's a decade + worth of history mate.

If Apple had a choice between buying Playstation and everything it represents (I.P's , development resources etc) or the XBOX brand I think we all know what the obvious chocie would be.

What does Apple have to do with this discussion?

I was putting my argument into perspective . But Apple does have relevant , out of all the companies that don't have an involvment in the console industry that may want to Apple is one of the more capable skills,resources and brand name wise . Playstation integrated into Apple could make for a formidable opponent.

the loss of 6 billion is irrelevant at this point. as long as they keep making profit each quarter from here on out then there is no reason to get rid of their gaming department.

kitler53 said:
the loss of 6 billion is irrelevant at this point. as long as they keep making profit each quarter from here on out then there is no reason to get rid of their gaming department.

What makes you think their losses are capped at  $6 billion ?

Million said:

It seems even with the vast amount of investment that has gone into the gaming division Microsoft is still unable to dominate. In addition to this there are reports of a slow but conistent decline in Microsofts core businesses. It begs the question, should Microsoft put an end to it's arguably fruitless ventures into the gaming industry or should they continue to attack a largley lucrative market which continues to see YoY growth ?? .

discuss

Ridiculous.  Where a console "places" is only REALLY important to the fanboys...  It's how much money it's making the company that matters to the company.  M$ is turning a profit in the VG arena; they're not going to say "well, screw that money we're making... we got second place!!"

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

Around the Network

If Nintendo has taught us anything, it's that you do not have to necessarily be the victor in the console war to establish and maintain healthy profits.

As many have mentioned, the Xbox has become a formidable brand. Microsoft will continue to expand the brand and reap the benefits. Microsoft has the resources and vision to reap the long-term benefits of the Xbox brand.

I honestly would be more concerned for Sony than Microsoft. Microsoft is a very financially sound company and considering this is only its second generation in the home console market, its made amazing contributions to the industry. Sony makes great hardware, but Microsoft continues to expand its horizons and provide innovative functionality to the 360 through the value of its software and online services.

Sony is in third place and losing billions. You would think another company would be the topic of this discussion.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

TheSteve said:
Million said:

It seems even with the vast amount of investment that has gone into the gaming division Microsoft is still unable to dominate. In addition to this there are reports of a slow but conistent decline in Microsofts core businesses. It begs the question, should Microsoft put an end to it's arguably fruitless ventures into the gaming industry or should they continue to attack a largley lucrative market which continues to see YoY growth ?? .

discuss

Ridiculous.  Where a console "places" is only REALLY important to the fanboys...  It's how much money it's making the company that matters to the company.  M$ is turning a profit in the VG arena; they're not going to say "well, screw that money we're making... we got second place!!"

100% Agreed!

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

MS couldnt care less what happens in the console race alone.

They are already succeding in what they are trying to accomplish and that is provide a one in all media service that plays movies, TV, games, Radio...etc.

If an xbox product can replace your cable company, phone company, play radio, stream movies and it plays games on top of that...MS is winner. If Ms wanted to deal with games only, they would have stayed on the PC.

Stopping Sony from console dominance and Apple from even entering the market is a bonus for MS.

If they become profitable on a steady enough way, they won't give up even if they don't get 1st place. Earning money and slow down competitors preventing them from getting living room dominance may not be the best case MS wishes, becoming itself the living room master, but it's still enough and quite satisfying. Although it's still quite risky for MS, not being unable to totally crush Sony's, and possibly Nintendo's too, even partial takeover of living room computing could lead to a partial erosion of Windows' share of home computing market. But this is even a stronger argument AGAINST abandoning consoles, whatever happens. And right now MS can only hope Nintendo hasn't the same ambitions Sony had for home computing market, but I suspect that whatever Nintendo is planning, it won't let MS know until it's too late.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

No, they shouldnt.

It depends on how well Sony come back with the PS4, and if the next box bombs.