By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If MS doesn't come 1st next gen or the gen after , should they pull out ?

Bitmap Frogs said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
I'd say yes, due to there horrible lack of 1st party party support, everytime i say the word "Xbox" only Halo comes to mind, and that is pretty sad.

You only see what you want to see. Which is no surprise considering your posting history here. But even the most deranged in here stopped using the halobox/shooterbox shitmeme long time ago.

As if, in all honesty its the only 1st party game thats bragged about, im sure there are quite a few others but there WAY overshadowed by a single franchise, MS doesn't have balance when it comes to 1st parties of what little they have.

And if you've been tracking my posting histroy recently don't start something you're not able to Finish, because you'll just waste both of our times.

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
I'd say yes, due to there horrible lack of 1st party party support, everytime i say the word "Xbox" only Halo comes to mind, and that is pretty sad.

You only see what you want to see. Which is no surprise considering your posting history here. But even the most deranged in here stopped using the halobox/shooterbox shitmeme long time ago.

As if, in all honesty its the only 1st party game thats bragged about, im sure there are quite a few others but there WAY overshadowed by a single franchise, MS doesn't have balance when it comes to 1st parties of what little they have.

And if you've been tracking my posting histroy recently don't start something you're not able to Finish, because you'll just waste both of our times.

So your argument is: people just brag about halo and it sells so many games it instantly means any other effort is meaningless and halo is the only franchise worth it.

Wow, so weak. So, so weak. In your warped mind, millions of sales and strong review praise are useless - if a few geeks on a videogame forum don't talk about it, it doesn't exist.

As I said, you only see what you want to see. In your eyes Microsoft will never be worthy and if it takes ridicolous statements as the one above to "prove" it, well so be it. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

In fact, while I believe MS wishes to prevent competitor console makers from becoming strong enough to seize the living room computing, I don't believe by any means it plans to destroy the console market, it's an impossible task, like you wrote, and the best MS can do is live with it, and if possible, try to profit from it and have some synergies with some of its other products. This said, the danger that still Sony, or, currently more likely, Nintendo tries to do what MS fears is still strong, and the only way MS could prevent it is to make XB720 become the first console next gen and make it the best choice of media hub for people not wanting to get stressed by a PC. The danger this gen is still low, PS3 has too little RAM for the task and it's the weakest contender, Wii is the strongest but it has even less RAM, no disk storage and no DVD playback.
To cut it short, this gen Windows was pardoned by PS3 weakness and more generally by HW trade-offs, but next gen each console will be able to become a media centre PC even without their respective manufacturers actively promoting this function, so the stronger XB720 will be, the less sales "stolen" from Windows will go to MS competitors and the more will obviously go anyway to MS.

1. You are operating under the misconception consoles could become PC substitutes. That's a mistake, because precisely the allure of consoles is simplicity - turning a console into a viable PC alternative for the most common tasks means it would necessarily become more complex and thus experience market rejection. See Wii vs. PS360 for more on that. I can't understand how you mention Wii's hardware limitations as the reason why it isn't becoming an expanded multimedia hub; have you ever listened to Iwata? They do not want the Wii to become a PC like device because they want to sell tons of those little white boxes. 

2. Even if you are just talking about "media hub", computers are safe - because they are more than a media hub. Just as the loss of gaming would make a negligible impact on the PC platform.

3. Microsoft ain't on the console market because they were afraid of consoles overthrowing windows-equipped PCs, they are there because they can leverage their know-how in customer-oriented platforms and services to deliver a compelling consumer services platform on top of another synergies like a common DirectX architecture which protects Microsoft's interests on that front. Internet-enabled customer offerings/services are a huge market and everyone who can is trying to get a piece of the pie. Even Nokia is trying and they already make billions on the hardware alone. As internet availability and bandwith grows there are a crapload of goods and services that can be delivered through connected devices and Microsoft's move has more to do with having a foothold on such a lucrative market than protecting what does not need to be protected since it hasn't been threatened at all.

4. To think PS3's weakness has "spared" Windows is ludicrous. Linux on PS3 is just a gimmick and never was anything but marketing fodder for Sony.

5. Additionally, you are contradicting yourself there, the stronger XB720 will be, the more sales are gonna be stolen from Windows because Microsoft unlike Nintendo does want the console to become a service-hub as the revenue streams are very very strong and offset the loss of marketshare. Heck, both the PS3 and 360 are already complex media-hubs and it isn't denting Windows at all.

I numbered your points to answer them

1. Not an office PC substitute, but if they are fitted with the HW necessary to the purpose, they could become media centre PC, and maybe appeal more people that for this kind of use desire a thing more immediate than a PC. About Nintendo: first, they don't want the Wii becomes a complicated object, this makes perfectly sense, but in its current configuration Wii couldn't do it anyway. In future, a Wii2 with the necessary HW features could offer media centre PC functions without becoming a PC, but obviously Nintendo won't let MS know until it's time to prepare the launch. And nothing prevents a media centre consoles from offering some office PC features realized in a way suitable to home users and without becoming a dreadfully complicated PC.

2. Office PC's are quite safe, but MS would like for itself also the "media hub" market. And such a market made independent from MS SW and formats would weaken Windows-Office dominance, people would start getting used to something different. A moderately successful console can reach in 3 years as many people as Linux reached in more than 15 years.

3. This is all true, but you perfectly know that MS likes to combine with profit the consolidation of its power whenever it has the opportunity.

4. I didn't mention Linux on PS3, but even a perfect distro wouldn't save PS3 from its lack of RAM, that would make some typical Windows PC tasks very uncomfortable. PS3 "weakness" saving Windows is both weakness in sales and in HW specs, so Windows is safe from it due to at least two independent but concurring reasons.

5. Maybe I wrote a phrase not clear enough, but I'm not contradicting myself: I wrote that XB720 being successful means that what's stolen from Windows goes to MS anyway, so it's good for MS (and even better, as MS sells online services and gets royalties on games, as you rightly stressed). What's not good for MS are users stolen from Windows and going to MS' competitors. But as you write, right now consoles aren't stealing from Windows yet, but amongst a lot of concurring reason for this, there are two facts, current gen consoles haven't the HW necessary to replace PC's and  moreover their producers gave them up until now an even large, but tightly focused set of functions.

But the undeniable fact that right now even the most powerful consoles fall short of becoming a viable media centre PC substitute, doesn't mean that this possibility is ruled out for future consoles. We simply can't have rock-steady certainties about these issues, as Nintendo showed us that the unpredictable can happen.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

BenVTrigger said:
How is this thread even aloud to still be open? This should have been locked as soon as the OP posted. Its blatent flamebait.

Writing on it you help it stayin alive. 

And despite the flamebait, most of us manage to do decent discussions and keep the flaming out of them. If you don't like this thread, just ignore it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Bitmap Frogs said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

So your argument is: people just brag about halo and it sells so many games it instantly means any other effort is meaningless and halo is the only franchise worth it.

Wow, so weak. So, so weak. In your warped mind, millions of sales and strong review praise are useless - if a few geeks on a videogame forum don't talk about it, it doesn't exist.

As I said, you only see what you want to see. In your eyes Microsoft will never be worthy and if it takes ridicolous statements as the one above to "prove" it, well so be it.

Dont get me wrong, Sony and Ninty MAY have more 1st party power, but alot of them... kinda SUCK imo... i may be a PS3/360 owner but i own few exclusives then most i tell ya that lol.

At anyrate ya got me all wrong, MS is already "wrothy" in my eyes for the simple fact there able to keep sony at bay AND get great 3rd party JRPG games for such a long amount of time, though PS3 is has on par as far as JRPGs go now it doesn't chagne the fact that for awhile the 360 was the place to go for HD JRPG gaming, Respect right there.

As of right now though, everything has been even if anything.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:

1. Not an office PC substitute, but if they are fitted with the HW necessary to the purpose, they could become media centre PC, and maybe appeal more people that for this kind of use desire a thing more immediate than a PC. About Nintendo: first, they don't want the Wii becomes a complicated object, this makes perfectly sense, but in its current configuration Wii couldn't do it anyway. In future, a Wii2 with the necessary HW features could offer media centre PC functions without becoming a PC, but obviously Nintendo won't let MS know until it's time to prepare the launch. And nothing prevents a media centre consoles from offering some office PC features realized in a way suitable to home users and without becoming a dreadfully complicated PC.

2. Office PC's are quite safe, but MS would like for itself also the "media hub" market. And such a market made independent from MS SW and formats would weaken Windows-Office dominance, people would start getting used to something different. A moderately successful console can reach in 3 years as many people as Linux reached in more than 15 years.

3. This is all true, but you perfectly know that MS likes to combine with profit the consolidation of its power whenever it has the opportunity.

4. I didn't mention Linux on PS3, but even a perfect distro wouldn't save PS3 from its lack of RAM, that would make some typical Windows PC tasks very uncomfortable. PS3 "weakness" saving Windows is both weakness in sales and in HW specs, so Windows is safe from it due to at least two independent but concurring reasons.

5. Maybe I wrote a phrase not clear enough, but I'm not contradicting myself: I wrote that XB720 being successful means that what's stolen from Windows goes to MS anyway, so it's good for MS (and even better, as MS sells online services and gets royalties on games, as you rightly stressed). What's not good for MS are users stolen from Windows and going to MS' competitors. But as you write, right now consoles aren't stealing from Windows yet, but amongst a lot of concurring reason for this, there are two facts, current gen consoles haven't the HW necessary to replace PC's and  moreover their producers gave them up until now an even large, but tightly focused set of functions.

But the undeniable fact that right now even the most powerful consoles fall short of becoming a viable media centre PC substitute, doesn't mean that this possibility is ruled out for future consoles. We simply can't have rock-steady certainties about these issues, as Nintendo showed us that the unpredictable can happen.

1.- You still don't address the fact as a console's possiblities grow so they grow in complexity and tend to experiment market rejection. I make a strong claim simplicity is the key for consoles. I say Wii vs PS360 is living proof of that. Wii2 could have the hardware to be a media center, but Iwata won't allow that - because it's not good for console business. They didn't even bother to allow DVD movies on the Wii. Really, read some interviews. 

2.- The thing is, Microsoft would make more money if media-hub activities moved onto consoles. On a PC, they get the license on the box and that's it. On console DD they get a cut of every purchase made by the consumer. It's in Microsoft's interests that media-hub functions move over to consoles and the proof is in the pudding: they don't talk jack n squat about DD on the PC, everytime they mention "movies" they follow with "on your 360".

3.- Yeah, but consolidating consoles back on PC's would mean leaving the door wide open for anyone to seize the now-vacant console market, if I read your statement correctly.

4.- You need more than being able to boot Linux to push it as a serious computing platform. Sony has delivered 0 value on that front which is a clear signal even they know there's no future there. Geeks love it, the other 99% ignores it. Macs run a unix-like OS with a crapload of added value on top of it - where's Sony's? It's the same reason Maemo is stagnant while iPhone OS thrives - At this point of the game, just having a bootable OS doesn't work on its own. This ain't the early 80's anymore.

5.- You still think it's a matter of hardware prowess when it's about a whole different issue - what attracts people to computers, repels people from consoles. Additionally by definition consoles will always be behind computers in raw power and if what will signal the dawn of the computer-console will be power equivalence, it'll never come.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Bitmap Frogs said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

1.- You still don't address the fact as a console's possiblities grow so they grow in complexity and tend to experiment market rejection. I make a strong claim simplicity is the key for consoles. I say Wii vs PS360 is living proof of that. Wii2 could have the hardware to be a media center, but Iwata won't allow that - because it's not good for console business. They didn't even bother to allow DVD movies on the Wii. Really, read some interviews. 

2.- The thing is, Microsoft would make more money if media-hub activities moved onto consoles. On a PC, they get the license on the box and that's it. On console DD they get a cut of every purchase made by the consumer. It's in Microsoft's interests that media-hub functions move over to consoles and the proof is in the pudding: they don't talk jack n squat about DD on the PC, everytime they mention "movies" they follow with "on your 360".

3.- Yeah, but consolidating consoles back on PC's would mean leaving the door wide open for anyone to seize the now-vacant console market, if I read your statement correctly.

4.- You need more than being able to boot Linux to push it as a serious computing platform. Sony has delivered 0 value on that front which is a clear signal even they know there's no future there. Geeks love it, the other 99% ignores it. Macs run a unix-like OS with a crapload of added value on top of it - where's Sony's? It's the same reason Maemo is stagnant while iPhone OS thrives - At this point of the game, just having a bootable OS doesn't work on its own. This ain't the early 80's anymore.

5.- You still think it's a matter of hardware prowess when it's about a whole different issue - what attracts people to computers, repels people from consoles. Additionally by definition consoles will always be behind computers in raw power and if what will signal the dawn of the computer-console will be power equivalence, it'll never come.

Don't think I think I know how to overcome the obstacles you are listing, I simply think I can't really exclude some manufacturers could find a way. And I agree with you that given the indefeasible requirements of console users, simplicity is of the essence. About HW features, it's a matter of fact that for some tasks you have to satisfy minimum HW requirements, either if you choose a simple or complicated way to perform them, but this doesn't mean I think there must be a race to the most powerful components like in gaming PC's, usually the only strong requirement to comfortably perform these tasks is to have enough RAM. And obviously, for most PC tasks, storage. Just in case you thought it, I don't attribute thaumaturgical effects to "teh powah of teh almighty Cell", I think indeed that for a lot of tasks they should have chosen an implementation with one or two less SPE's and one more PPE.

About point 3. Well, I was thinking about MS wishing to become the strongest console manufacturer not only for the pure profit, but to tie users even more to the MS world. This shouldn't be accomplished strictly tying the console to the PC, it  could backfire, as you observe, MS will be more subtle, the ties would be realized in a non-coercitive way making people develop habits through default file formats, protocols, "family feeling" of applications, offering easy tools to integrate MS consoles, Windows PC's and appliances in a domestic LAN if desired by the users (but not making them by any means feel forced to do it) ,  etc, and through MS online services. EDIT: And obiously DirectX, using it on both PC and consoles not only saves MS money, it makes developers happy saving them money too on multiplatform titles and increases MS' power, being another tie to it. Using OpenGL on both would give the same economies and even more for developers, but it wouldn't increase MS' power.

@Bit- Aw no response for me? :(

I'm fine with your reply since you aren't defending your previous that's it just Halo and nothing else in there.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Dont get me wrong, Sony and Ninty MAY have more 1st party power, but alot of them... kinda SUCK imo... i may be a PS3/360 owner but i own few exclusives then most i tell ya that lol.

At anyrate ya got me all wrong, MS is already "wrothy" in my eyes for the simple fact there able to keep sony at bay AND get great 3rd party JRPG games for such a long amount of time, though PS3 is has on par as far as JRPGs go now it doesn't chagne the fact that for awhile the 360 was the place to go for HD JRPG gaming, Respect right there.

As of right now though, everything has been even if anything.

Nothing to say there. I mean you are still thinking from within a certain perpspective but hey that's not gonna change with forum posts.