By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Ocarina of Time still the greatest game of all time??

Sony Defense Force claims MGS4 greatest game of all time, case closed.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

It never was the best game ever, so no.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

supermario128 said:
It never was the best game ever, so no.

i agree MGS4 or GTAIV imo.

U know never in my right mind...i would see people comparing Zelda OOT and Metal Gear Solid lolol

u guys are somethign else.....

u knwo when Miyamoto showed the Zelda trailer in E3 that year half of the audience started crying lmao

IGN, VGCHARTZ, and others currently say no other game can take over that number 1 spot.....

the only company that can make that number one spot is nintendo....they know the recipe behind videogames

I feel that OOT is by far the greatest game I've ever played, and as someone who's beaten over 785 console games (who's counting - btw, doesn't include PC games), I use it as the benchmark to rate a game's greatness. There are games that come pretty close to OOT.

That being said MGS4 is not anywhere nearly as good a game. I thought the graphics were great, and I especially loved the chameleon camo techniques, but the story was, dare I say, hollow. Maybe not hollow but drawn out. The extremely long cutscenes ruined the experience for me.

There are games that could be argued against OOT, but MGS4 is a far cry away.

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
I feel that OOT is by far the greatest game I've ever played, and as someone who's beaten over 785 console games (who's counting - btw, doesn't include PC games), I use it as the benchmark to rate a game's greatness. There are games that come pretty close to OOT.

That being said MGS4 is not anywhere nearly as good a game. I thought the graphics were great, and I especially loved the chameleon camo techniques, but the story was, dare I say, hollow. Maybe not hollow but drawn out. The extremely long cutscenes ruined the experience for me.

Agreed 100%. A game that comes close to OoT for me would me Super Metroid, total classic. But I'm with you, I've never experienced the type of awe in any game since OoT. I think one of the reasons I was inintially let down by Twilight Princess was because I was hoping it would recapture that magical feeling I felt the first time playing OoT. If there was ever a game that nailed the crucial elements of a game it is this one. I feel sorry for people who have only recently played this game.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

LMAO ARIUS says :  A game that comes close to OoT for me would me Super Metroid, total classic. But I'm with you, I've never experienced the type of awe in any game since OoT.

damm dude i agree with u 101 percent...

It makes me laugh when i read this thread.....i can tell they dont knwo how to think critically about rating videogames....

""I've never experienced the type of awe in any game since OoT.""

plenty of peopel say the samething

I have been playing videogames since Coleco and passed countless of videogames...had almost every console in gaming history excpet for Sega CD....But to Beat Super Metroid, Zelda OOT, majoras Mask, Mario 64....

how dare these guys compare that to Mgs4 lmao.....correct me if im wrong the first metal gear was the best one : /  Gorgeous storyline, best sniping scene than any other game and that started it all "snake versus sniper wolf"

the game had a nice ending well developed. Well crafted.  But the ending in SOL prolly was better.

Arius Dion said:
bardicverse said:

Agreed 100%. A game that comes close to OoT for me would me Super Metroid, total classic. But I'm with you, I've never experienced the type of awe in any game since OoT. I think one of the reasons I was inintially let down by Twilight Princess was because I was hoping it would recapture that magical feeling I felt the first time playing OoT. If there was ever a game that nailed the crucial elements of a game it is this one. I feel sorry for people who have only recently played this game.

I know what you mean by that magical element. One thing happened to me when playing OOT that I never had with another game before or since - I felt bad that I beat the game/that it was over. It was a story I was so wrapped up in that for a short while, I felt like I broke up with the love of my life. Yes, that's a very nerdy thing to happen, but at the same time, very accurate. For a while I was afraid to beat another game, because that feeling sucked.

I wasn't let down by Twilight Princess nearly as much as I was by Wind Waker. It was a return to the style (art and gameplay) that reminded me of OOT. I feel TP was a true successor to OOT, but not with the epicness of OOT.

As a developer, there are certain games that just amaze me, from a development standpoint. The original Metroid Prime was one of them, and Twilight Princess did also. Just a lot of creativity in the direction. Another that amazes me is Bully, absolutely clever.

bardicverse said:
Arius Dion said:
bardicverse said:

I know what you mean by that magical element. One thing happened to me when playing OOT that I never had with another game before or since - I felt bad that I beat the game/that it was over. It was a story I was so wrapped up in that for a short while, I felt like I broke up with the love of my life. Yes, that's a very nerdy thing to happen, but at the same time, very accurate. For a while I was afraid to beat another game, because that feeling sucked.

I wasn't let down by Twilight Princess nearly as much as I was by Wind Waker. It was a return to the style (art and gameplay) that reminded me of OOT. I feel TP was a true successor to OOT, but not with the epicness of OOT.

As a developer, there are certain games that just amaze me, from a development standpoint. The original Metroid Prime was one of them, and Twilight Princess did also. Just a lot of creativity in the direction. Another that amazes me is Bully, absolutely clever.

I didn't mention WW for a reason lol. Good game but better than Oot? laughable, and TP was a superior game to WW (I really wasn't feeling the art style). But again you are on point; to me TP is OoT perfected from a gameplay standpoint whereas OoT was revolutionary. Funny after beating OoT the first time I felt; complete, but definitely a sort of melancholy as well because it was like damn, I have just been blown away and will probably not feel this way for a looong time and I was right.

Metroid Prime..is a masterpiece on so many levels. I may be in the minority but I enjoyed Prime 3 more as that is one of my favorite games this gen so far. But that feeling of seeing Samus in 3-d for the first time..man. Here's hoping Other M is something special.

@Kepto: LoL, I feel the same way, and I also think the first MGS is the best of the 4, (it goes MGS 1,3,4,2)

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

This is obviousley a matter of opinnion.

"Sony fans are the only ones that claim MGS4 is the greatest game of all time".

To people using this quote: have you actually thought about what you are saying? Why would 360 fanboys or Wii fanboys openly admit that the best game of all time is an exclusive to the other console? There is a good reason why most of the people that say MGS4 is the best game of all time are Sony fans. I really hope that one day people on other consoles do get a chance to play through the game without holding the bias that they have today, if just to see what a masterpiece it is.

@megaman - Final Fantasy VII has been my favorite game of all time since 1997. To this day, it has not been topped by any other game. I have been a close fan of the Metal Gear series since even farther back. To me, the only game that has the perfection that FFVII does is MGS4. Every step of the game feels just as enjoyable, and for that, I'd say it is also the greatest game of all time.