By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My ps3 has broken...AGAIN!!!

Reminds me of my PS2 stories. After my 2nd PS2 broke, and being sick of waiting 9 months for Sony to send me a fixed one (that WAS under warranty!) - I gave up on Playstation for good. My GC got all the loving from then on...
(all the problems I had were disc related btw...)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Mine crashed yesterday during an online session of Killzone 2... it pissed me off..

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

^60GB or 80GB?

Pristine20 said:
UPDATE: So I went to play N trade and it's bad news guys. They only fix 360s. They need a month to even order ps3 parts and they are not trained to fix them. I'm seriously distraught now and if I can't get this ps3 fixed, thats it for me and sony. It's sad that over almost $1500 investment is going down the feitas river but I can't keep paying $150 for 8 months of gameplay.

The most ironic thing was that someone came with a ps3 with the exact same problem while I was making my case and it looks like some people believe we're still just the unlucky 0.1% so we never get heard. Even after over a decade of sticking to this brand, I can't get any help...sad, sad state of affairs. I'm off to look for alternate means and if I can't find any, that's it for me and sony. I will never purchase a sony product again no matter how good it's supposed to be and I keep my word

This is a terrible situation you've found yourself in. Sony should be ashamed of themselves if they don't take care of their customers better than this.

By the way, outside of this thread I had never heard of PS3s failing, until just this past weekend. I met another man from the US who just happened to come into my favorite bar Saturday night, passing through Hiroshima on his way back to the US. The company he works for sends him to Japan several times a year (I believe he said he's been here 36 times for business). During small talk, we somehow got on the topic of the PS3 and how his failed on him recently. He told me that the BluRay mechanism (the laser specifically, I believe) had started to fail in the first-generation models.

By the way, the company he works for is IBM, and his business trips to Japan involve work at a Sony plant outside of Nagasaki.

ramuji
www.ramuji.com
Nintendo Network ID: ramuji
Wii Friend Code: 8543-1141-9403-8457
3DS Friend Code: 1633-4130-0140
PS3 ID: ramuji_69

Epoch said:

You were #3 in SC 4 ??   O_o   Impressive

Thats bullshit about the warranty not being renewed for a year.  Paying $300 in the same year to fix any console is preposterous.  I would recommend bitching to someone about this.  If you push, you can usually get something.  A buddy of mine got a years worth of live and 2 free games when his 360 RROD on him the second time.

I think you are probably right about the lemons being circulated back into the population, thats similar to what was happening in the middle stages of the 360 RROD era. Pretty lame for the consumer.

About cleaning the PS3, I just take a vacuum cleaner and stick it against the vents on the sides and clear the dust out.  Its amazing how much dust accumulates in electronics, and how much that adds to heat.  My laptop used to overheat, hitting around 80-90 Celcius.  I vacuumed it out, now runs at about 51-55 Celcius.  Those compressed air cans work, but they have a tendency to just blow dust around the inside of the device. 

If you cant sort it out with Sony, it will be a sad day for our KZ clan.  We will have a hard time replacing our designated murderer/room sweeper.

Best of luck man.

Soul Calibur has 2 online gameplay rankings, one for "normal vs" and one for "spelcial vs". I was #3 in the special vs rankings before my ps3 broke. I was actually still #6 when I got the refurb ps3 after the 3 week wait but after I restored the "new" ps3 with a 2 month old back up I made when I swapped my HDD, the sc4 servers picked up my old stats and overwrote my "real stats" that were there previously (this is what I fear is the case with kz2...your saved stats and the server stats can't be different).

I became number twenty something and played continuously till I got back to number 6 then my save file corrupted this time. How much bad luck can one person get. I actually started playing again from my old back up and made it to #11 again till I lost interest in ranked matches due to people refusing to play me because of my stats. I have dropped to the twenties again since.  Even "really good" players run away because they don't want to risk losing and lower their win/loss ratios. So I only play SC4 once in a while with friends now. I have lots of friends from that community

Yeah I tried...I think I talked to people who just don't care because they just kept reiterating that it was company policy and that the failures were under .1% like I'm supposed to believe that. Yeah, they're definitely recycling the lemons at our expense...I guess they're really broke or maybe it's just because 60gbs aren't manufactured anymore so they have no choice.

I'll try the vacuum method if I can get this thing fixed. I'm guessing it should probably be on low power. I'll sort it out...it won't be through sony though. Worst case scenario, I'll man up and do it myself lol. What I really need is my data back not for the lemon to last another couple years because I know for sure now that it won't.

Thanks for wishing me luck man.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

UPDATE: I think I just found guys who may be able to get me running again. It's this site: videogame911.com. They seem to know a lot about YLOD but I need to do some background checking on them first

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

@Pristine20

I have ran into similar problems that you have had, just not with the PS3. Here is some advice I would give you, take it or not its up to you.

I recently had a problem with a Sony 52 inch HDTV. It was basically a lemon from the start, long story short I had it for nearly 1.5 years and I had service people coming to my house on average once every 2 or 3 months replacing the same thing basically. After going without my big screen tv for several weeks (waiting on parts again) I finally flipped out. I started looking for higher ups to bitch too and try and get my tv replaced.

So I wrote a letter to Sony's VP and Best Buys President (Best Buy is where I bought the TV). I put down what my problem was and that I was a loyal customer and had spent over $6000 at Best Buy within 2 years time on electronics. I sent the letters registered so someone had to sign for it, and within 2 days of Best Buy receiving my letter I had the VP of Best Buy calling me personally. I ended up getting full in store credit for my tv, and had a new one within 3 days. Around a week after Sony called me and was going to "overhaul" the tv as well.

So my advice would be to find out where Sony's main corporate office is for America and send a registered letter to them in care of their President or VP. Let them know exactly what has happend to you and that you will no longer be purchasing anything that has Sony in its name again if you don't get your PS3 repaired for free. Let them know how much money you have spent on their products etc.. And that it was repaired less than a year before for the same problem. More than likely someone other than a peon will return your message, no matter if they fix it or not.

P.S. Hope this helps you out, and be sure to put all the important stuff in the letter like.
Your name
Address
Phone Number
Serial # of your PS3, and the fact you would like the same PS3 back.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

damndl0ser said:

@Pristine20

I have ran into similar problems that you have had, just not with the PS3. Here is some advice I would give you, take it or not its up to you.

I recently had a problem with a Sony 52 inch HDTV. It was basically a lemon from the start, long story short I had it for nearly 1.5 years and I had service people coming to my house on average once every 2 or 3 months replacing the same thing basically. After going without my big screen tv for several weeks (waiting on parts again) I finally flipped out. I started looking for higher ups to bitch too and try and get my tv replaced.

So I wrote a letter to Sony's VP and Best Buys President (Best Buy is where I bought the TV). I put down what my problem was and that I was a loyal customer and had spent over $6000 at Best Buy within 2 years time on electronics. I sent the letters registered so someone had to sign for it, and within 2 days of Best Buy receiving my letter I had the VP of Best Buy calling me personally. I ended up getting full in store credit for my tv, and had a new one within 3 days. Around a week after Sony called me and was going to "overhaul" the tv as well.

So my advice would be to find out where Sony's main corporate office is for America and send a registered letter to them in care of their President or VP. Let them know exactly what has happend to you and that you will no longer be purchasing anything that has Sony in its name again if you don't get your PS3 repaired for free. Let them know how much money you have spent on their products etc.. And that it was repaired less than a year before for the same problem. More than likely someone other than a peon will return your message, no matter if they fix it or not.

P.S. Hope this helps you out, and be sure to put all the important stuff in the letter like.
Your name
Address
Phone Number
Serial # of your PS3

Thanks a lot for the advice man. I just found out that kz2 stats are saved to the server anyways so i won't be losing my killzone 2 data by getting a different ps3 from sony. I hope I can log into a new ps3 with my account even if my account hasn't been deactivated from the old one. I'm curious though, won't it be faster to send an email? or is that more unlikely to be sorted out?

Pristine20 said:
damndl0ser said:

@Pristine20

Your name
Address
Phone Number
Serial # of your PS3

Thanks a lot for the advice man. I just found out that kz2 stats are saved to the server anyways so i won't be losing my killzone 2 data by getting a different ps3 from sony. I hope I can log into a new ps3 with my account even if my account hasn't been deactivated from the old one. I'm curious though, won't it be faster to send an email? or is that more unlikely to be sorted out?

Sending a registered letter takes a few days longer but atleast you know without a doubt a higher up will read it.  Unless you know the President or VP's real life email address good luck with them ever seeing it.  

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

damndl0ser said:
Pristine20 said:
damndl0ser said:

@Pristine20

Your name
Address
Phone Number
Serial # of your PS3

Sending a registered letter takes a few days longer but atleast you know without a doubt a higher up will read it.  Unless you know the President or VP's real life email address good luck with them ever seeing it.  

I actually just figured it out myself before you responded lol. I'll be sending that letter today. I'd rather have a new one now that I'm positive that my kz2 stats are saved because this lemon recycling needs to stop. At this point, I don't even care if I lose BC. Thanks for the info man. Looks like I'll be writing to Jack Tretton who should be at this address for anyone else who needs it:

US Headquarters

919 & 989 East Hillsdale Boulevard
Foster City CA, 94404
(650) 655 8000