By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Suqare0Enix is VERY Disappointed in SALES of Chrono Trigger DS!

Cactus said:

I think he's just making excuses. I don't think SE ever plans to go back to that franchise.

Off topic, but I clicked on the author's name to see what website it was, and then went to their homepage, and then my virus scanner came up indicating that it blocked a trojan from entering my computer...

The same thing happened here like around last year.

Were they using Google ads?

Around the Network

A port of a 15-year-old game selling .88 million and they aren't happy with it? Maybe their standards are too high..

MontanaHatchet said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@montana

but thats Final Fantasy + it was "properly" remade also FF is much more popular now

Well, the original Chrono Trigger outsold the original FF3 on the NES (although it sold less than the SNES version). A proper remake didn't seem to stop hype for the game or the high reviews, so I don't see that being much of a problem. I'd agree that the FF series is far more popular now, but judging by Square's expectations, they expected more from Chrono Trigger.

@bold

What are you talking about o_O

OT: I would say it's because it cost so much for an SNES game that only added a couple of things to bridge it to Chrono Cross, which isn't enough when you're charging more then Nintendo does for their own games on the DS, 40 dollars for a DS game that should be 30 or 20.  FF3 did so well on the DS because it never released in the US prior to that and it was a full on 3D remake from the ground up.  If they did that with CT it would have probably sold more, hell even a Chrono Cross port to the DS would have probably sold more.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Kasz216 said:
Cactus said:

I think he's just making excuses. I don't think SE ever plans to go back to that franchise.

Off topic, but I clicked on the author's name to see what website it was, and then went to their homepage, and then my virus scanner came up indicating that it blocked a trojan from entering my computer...

The same thing happened here like around last year.

Were they using Google ads?

I don't even see any ads on their page. It still happens though.

Almost 900,000 copies for a 15-year-old SNES port and they complain, lol.

Most companies would kill to get that from a new big-budget IP.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Even after the numbers Gears of War and Assassin's Creed sold?  I don't think so.

Riachu said:
Soundwave said:

Even after the numbers Gears of War and Assassin's Creed sold?  I don't think so.

You do realize the vast majority of games released never top 750,000 in sales right? 

900,000 worldwide is probably a lot more than Star Ocean 3, a bigger-budget HD RPG on the 360 sold. It's more than Blue Dragon. It's probably more than Tales of Vesperia or White Knight Chronicles too. 

And Chrono Trigger DS is just basically a straight dump of an SNES ROM onto the DS wth 2-guys likely having done the new stuff for it. 

Locked, title is misleading.