By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Suqare0Enix is VERY Disappointed in SALES of Chrono Trigger DS!

darthdevidem01 said:
sc94597 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
sc94597 said:

You guys. It was meant to sell so much that they would make back the millions that FFXIII and FFvXIII has swallowed during their decade long development times. Unfortunately to do that it would probably have had to sold 50% more than the original did. It doesn't matter that the U.S audience expanded compared to the Snes version, or that in half a year it sold almost half of what the original did despite being a slightly enhanced port.

Can you count?

I didn't actually mean a decade, but by 2010 comes along it would be 7 years of developement(game has been in developement since 2003, that is most likely counting early stages like deciding the plot, and battle system though).

Why count those early stages, it could hardly have been a money sink then.

FF13 only went into major development in 2007.....or late 2006

Because it still counts as developement, also seeing as  both were going to be PS2 games, and then launch PS3 titles I highly doubt heavy development started in 2007 or 2006.

Around the Network

So Square-Enix was not happy with selling just under a million copies of a port of a game I already own on both the SNES and PS1 with minimum additions, yet Star Ocean 4 and Infinite Undiscovery combined sold about as much as Chrono Trigger DS. And last time I heard they were pretty happy with the sales of Infinite Undiscovery and the Last Remnant. That makes a lot of sense, I can't wait for Final Fantasy 45 in a few years.

Hey, let's ignore a franchise, than put out a barebones port and expect outrageous sales.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

That kind of talk actually shows the mindset some developers nowadays have. Good for them

sc94597 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
sc94597 said:

You guys. It was meant to sell so much that they would make back the millions that FFXIII and FFvXIII has swallowed during their decade long development times. Unfortunately to do that it would probably have had to sold 50% more than the original did. It doesn't matter that the U.S audience expanded compared to the Snes version, or that in half a year it sold almost half of what the original did despite being a slightly enhanced port.

Can you count?

I didn't actually mean a decade, but by 2010 comes along it would be 7 years of developement(game has been in developement since 2003, that is most likely counting early stages like deciding the plot, and battle system though).

No it wasn't. Final Fantasy XII was announced in 2003. Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII were first announced at E3 2006.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:
So Square-Enix was not happy with selling just under a million copies of a port of a game I already own on both the SNES and PS1 with minimum additions, yet Star Ocean 4 and Infinite Undiscovery combined sold about as much as Chrono Trigger DS. And last time I heard they were pretty happy with the sales of Infinite Undiscovery and the Last Remnant. That makes a lot of sense, I can't wait for Final Fantasy 45 in a few years.

Wada said that he was disappointed by IU's sales and I highly doubt he is happy with TLR's sales since S-E wanted it to be a blockbuster franchise like FF and KH yet it sold like 500K more or less worldwide.  Then again, that doesn't include sales of the PC version but I doubt it sold that great on the PC since PC gamers have never been kind to JRPGs.

@routsounmanman

what do you mean by that?

Riachu said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Wada said that he was disappointed by IU's sales and I highly doubt he is happy with TLR's sales since S-E wanted it to be a blockbuster franchise like FF and KH yet it sold like 500K more or less worldwide.  Then again, that doesn't include sales of the PC version but I doubt it sold that great on the PC since PC gamers have never been kind to JRPGs.

@routsounmanman

what do you mean by that?

Including PC, shipments are less than 600k.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
sc94597 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
sc94597 said:

Can you count?

No it wasn't. Final Fantasy XII was announced in 2003. Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII were first announced at E3 2006.

Announced=/= Developement. In one of the early interviews of which I forget they said the game has been in the works since 2003. Now that could be before any line of code was written, but they still were starting development in 2003.

Edit: Also remember FFXII was made by a different team headed by Matsuno(until he left) than the team developing FFXIII so it is very possible that the game was in the plans since that early.

this is what suquare0enix gets for trying to copy "square-enix" :p

darthdevidem01 said:
@montana

but thats Final Fantasy + it was "properly" remade also FF is much more popular now

They should of just titled it Final Fantasy: Crono Trigger.

I mean it was originally going to be FF7 anyway... and they released it in that one Final Fantasy Anthology.