By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - G4TV : PSEye is MORE Precise than NATAL!!

No doubt the major talk of E3 2009 was all about the motion-sensing technologies demoed by Sony and Microsoft at their press conferences. Microsoft’s Project Natal’s major selling point is full-body recognition and the promise of a controller-less game experience, while Sony’s PlayStation Eye-powered motion tech aims to turn a single controller into any virtual item imaginable (i.e. swords, tennis racquets, whips, whiskey bottle, etc.).

Well, it certainly didn't take long for some classic politicking to emerge regarding the technologies. Sony’s director of marketing John Holler told Gamasutra that the PlayStation Eye is “more accurate and more precise” than Microsoft’s motion-sensing tech, and, even though Project Natal’s full-body scanning capabilities is “impressive,” it also, allegedly, suffers from “depth issues on the Z-axis.”

This assessment is obviously impossible to confirm until some impartial testing can be done, so I’ll just have to take Holler’s comments with a PS3-emblazoned grain of salt for now. What’s perhaps more interesting about this whole ridiculously premature debate about technologies that are still years away from landing in living rooms is that Project Natal certainly does seem designed to out-casual the casual gaming genre Nintendo ushered in with the Wii, while Sony’s approach looks to be more “gamer-oriented,” as one analyst told Gamasutra earlier this week.

Again, it’s far too early to tell what the results will be when Sony and Microsoft eventually release their respective motion-sensing technologies, so for now, it looks like we’ll have to settle for premature potshots and unconfirmed tech assessments. Lucky us.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696299/Sonys-PlayStation-Eye-More-Precise-Than-Microsofts-Project-Natal-.html#ixzz0HfFfTOMS&D

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SONY's starts another fanboy war by claiming this. Whyw ould he lie though.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Sony's technology is true 1:1, thats what is impressive about it..

mM
darthdevidem01 said:

No doubt the major talk of E3 2009 was all about the motion-sensing technologies demoed by Sony and Microsoft at their press conferences. Microsoft’s Project Natal’s major selling point is full-body recognition and the promise of a controller-less game experience, while Sony’s PlayStation Eye-powered motion tech aims to turn a single controller into any virtual item imaginable (i.e. swords, tennis racquets, whips, whiskey bottle, etc.).

Well, it certainly didn't take long for some classic politicking to emerge regarding the technologies. Sony’s director of marketing John Holler told Gamasutra that the PlayStation Eye is “more accurate and more precise” than Microsoft’s motion-sensing tech, and, even though Project Natal’s full-body scanning capabilities is “impressive,” it also, allegedly, suffers from “depth issues on the Z-axis.”

This assessment is obviously impossible to confirm until some impartial testing can be done, so I’ll just have to take Holler’s comments with a PS3-emblazoned grain of salt for now. What’s perhaps more interesting about this whole ridiculously premature debate about technologies that are still years away from landing in living rooms is that Project Natal certainly does seem designed to out-casual the casual gaming genre Nintendo ushered in with the Wii, while Sony’s approach looks to be more “gamer-oriented,” as one analyst told Gamasutra earlier this week.

Again, it’s far too early to tell what the results will be when Sony and Microsoft eventually release their respective motion-sensing technologies, so for now, it looks like we’ll have to settle for premature potshots and unconfirmed tech assessments. Lucky us.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696299/Sonys-PlayStation-Eye-More-Precise-Than-Microsofts-Project-Natal-.html#ixzz0HfFfTOMS&D

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh come on... Company A says they have a better product than Company B, in a time where no one can really judge it.

It's called PR

darthdevidem01 said:

This needs no explanation...

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Wii motion+ is also 1:1 while Natal is a multi level 1:1 device with a full blown 3d camera. So i would think that Natal is the most accurate out of all 3 products. Only thing is that wm+ is the only one that will be successful in any greater way.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

Around the Network

Dude the title is misleading as hell.

==> "SONY EXEC: PSEye is MORE Precise than NATAL!!"

A Sony executive said it's more precise and not G4Tv.

@jesus

you forgot the most important thing

he even lied to them about his name

Its John Koller I believe....

woopdeedoo said:
Dude the title is misleading as hell.

==> "SONY EXEC: PSEye is MORE Precise than NATAL!!"

A Sony executive said it's more precise and not G4Tv.

Probably did it for the vg$......darth is a smart man indeed.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

@jesus

no, g4tv didn't even mention the exec in their title, so I assumed they were reporting the story.......I'm innocent!

This is all irrelivent. Iwata had already looked at these other technologies so unless it was price alone Nintendo made the best choice. http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=75756&page=1

Anyway who cares how precise it is, it was most likely the ease of use that attracted so many casuals to begin with, not the precision.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.