By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - TOP JAP famitsu: PSP have risen to the heavens!!

Welp, it's a better gig than making personal attacks against people I disagree with.

Around the Network

No console has ever rebounded from a 10k below a week battle. Xbox 360 is no included because Microsoft is still trying to get a foot in the Japanese. PS3 on the other hand has so much expectations, but now its about to do 10k....now that is aboustely sad.

And Kaz is really trying to convince people that he sees that they are going to surpass the 360 by March 2k8. Come on now!!

sony is dangerous, I keep trying to tell yall. next, ps3!

I can hope that the ps3 does the same numbers in the near future. 150k vs 50k wii, that would so something for sony. But I cant comment on that or I ll get destroyed on the forums.

mM
justincoool said:
sony is dangerous, I keep trying to tell yall. next, ps3!

Yeah, dangerously messing up.

Around the Network

Part of this sales slump can be explained by economic conditions in Japan. I was reading an article in the economist regarding Japan's economist performance of late as I suspected the slump had more to do with economic factors than seasonal slumps.

It looks to me as if the slowdown for the Wii and DS occurred around the same time that the sup-prime mortages fiasco. Furthermore on September 10th government figures indicated that they economy had fallen by 1.2% over a one year period. With a recession a possibility, spending on luxury goods would have taken a hit, particularly as recessions are monetary in nature and typically involve individuals saving money as a safety net for when times get rough. When enough people do this it effectively becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and a recession occurs.

I guess my point is that this slump could be more serious than it appears and games like SMG will do little to rectify things. If the Japanese economy has weakened than spending money on luxury items will no longer be important and I would expect Christmas sales to be somewhat depressed.

Of course hopefully all this is wrong, particularly as you never want to see a country in a recession or heading towards one. But I thought it made for an interesting and certainly a very different view of what we've been seeing in the sales data :)

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

@Picko

The psp costs more than the ds.

mM
leo-j said:
@Picko

The psp costs more than the ds.

True but it also had a hardware launch, which makes its sales not directly comparable to the others. There wouldn't be too many people willing to call the PSP's sales a trend and they will certainly return to more normal levels soon. 

Poor economic conditions do not mean that you cannot do well, it simply means that it is harder to do so. 

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
FishyJoe said:
It does seem a lot of people are ignoring the fact that the PS3 is about to go below 10k again. How many successful consoles have dipped below 10k multiple times excluding supply constraints?

Wait ... I sec I don't think I can remeber ........

Oh wait.

The PS2 sold under 10k for a few weeks in its lifetime.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

If the psp sells very well in europe and america when the limited edition slim releases!

Maybe more than half a million in a week?

mM