By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto responds to Natal, Sony Motion Control

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Staude said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
dbot said:
Sony announces an accessory for a motion technology they introduced 7 years ago and they are copying Nintendo? Interesting.

Yes, because the NES had motion controls

Yes. But the powerglove was made by mattel :p

So youre saying nintendo is copying mattel ?

Yeah, but its ok, it was on a nintendo system first

Actually it wasn't There was a motion controller of sorts for a console before the nes to my knowledge.

Check out my game about moles ^

Around the Network
Staude said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Staude said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
dbot said:
Sony announces an accessory for a motion technology they introduced 7 years ago and they are copying Nintendo? Interesting.

Actually it wasn't There was a motion controller of sorts for a console before the nes to my knowledge.

Which one?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Staude said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Staude said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
dbot said:

Which one?

I think it was magna vortex or something. I have no idea what it's called. Just that it's something like that.

Oh and before that one we have lightguns in arcades.. which are also motion controls :p

Check out my game about moles ^

This amuses me. Seeing ms desperatly trying to do things the Nintendo-way is really amusing.

Staude said:

I think it was magna vortex or something. I have no idea what it's called. Just that it's something like that.

Oh and before that one we have lightguns in arcades.. which are also motion controls :p

Bastard child of Magnavox Odyssey and Vectrex? Can't remember any motion-detecting controllers.

Light guns are unable to detect motion, you're referring to positional guns.

Around the Network
NightstrikerX said:
BladeOfGod said:
Bong Lover said:
BladeOfGod said:
Bong Lover said:
BladeOfGod said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Oh so after all... Nintendo, once again... was right. No wonder Miyamoto is considered to be the best game designer. And of course, Nintendo the best Video game company ever.

Kudos

No, its not.

To you, and anyone else who might walk this earth with the notion that there is or ever has been a greater videogame company than Nintendo, go check out the all times sales chart right here on VGChartz. Check the top 10, or top 20 or some such. If you are too lazy or shortsighted to realize that virtually every major innovation in the current videogame industry was pioneered by Nintendo, then at least seeing the list of the most iconic and best selling videogames should open your eyes.

There comes a time when claiming 'your opinion' just has to yield to facts. And the facts are that no matter which way you look at it, Nintendo is the greatest videogame company ever.

Sales doesnt prove they are the best. But if you still want to look at sales how about the fact Sony sold most consoles in last 15 years????

And i fail to see how Nintendo is the greatest when Sony and MS can buy that small company :)

So what metric do you think would be a better indicator of which company is the best? The company that dharh had the most fun with?Powerful and reliable products, big earnings, more employees...

If I wanted to argue what band was the best band ever, I could pick my personal favourite, The Butthole Surfers, and claim they are the best band ever. My argument would have no value outside the point that I really like them, anyone who would bring up for example The Rolling Stones would be able to demolish my argument by pointing to longevity, mass market penetration, volume of work and yes, total sales numbers among many other standards.

Translated into videogames, Nintendo is The Beatles, Sony is Blink 182 and Microsoft is Ace of Base. As I said before, at some point, you have to put aside your own personal opinion and concider facts. There's no meaningful way of claiming any other company than Nintendo to be the best videogame company ever.That's your opinnion

Edit: And in relation to Sony selling the most consoles the last 15 years. Not only is that cherry picking at it's finest, but it also redefines videogaming quite severely. If you consider the handheld market to be part of the videogame market like many people do, then I suspect the numbers tell a different story. Fell free to add up Gameboy, Gameboy advance, N64, gamecube, N64, Wii and DS numbers over the past 15 years, and compare it to the PS, PS2, PS3 and PSP and see how the numbers stack up. I don't know cause I can't be bothered to do it, but I suspect Nintendo would have a pretty good showing.I said most CONSOLES, not handhelds and Gameboy was launched way before original PlayStation, so its not fair comparison.Anyway, Sony sold 320 million consoles in last 15 years, Nintendo sold about 280 million consoles (i even added GBA and DS sales which are NOT consoles just to prove you completely wrong )

Ok, I normally avoid these kinds of threads because of the excessive amount of fanboyism that surrounds it. It literally brings forth a headache. But the statement in red is such a huge classic case of cherry picking it can't be helped. To attempt to insert some logic behind this otherwised completely cherrypicked arguement. Let's break down the numbers.

• Playstation 1 - 100 mil (Approx)
  • Playstation 2 - 120 mil (Approx)
  • Playstation 3 - 22.3 mil (Approx)

Total = 252.3 million. Approx.

Wait... You said sony sold 320 million consoles. Something doesn't add up here.

Let's throw this in for good measure.

• Playstation Portable - 55 mill (Approx)

Total 307.3 million (Approx). That seems more likely. Only 13 million off from your estamate. But I thought it was consoles only? Does this mean you consider the PSP. The Sony handheld device to be a console? Yet do not agree that the gameboy, GBA, and DS are consoles? Something is flawed with your math.

Another thing I have to point out is that you seem to exclude the GB because it was placed before the Playstation. Are nintendo systems that were around before a playstation system exempt from your example? Let's take a look.

• N64 - 33 mil (Approx)
  • GC - 22 mill (Approx)
  • Wii - 50 Mill (Approx)

Total = 115 Mil (Approx)

You also said you included GBA and the DS. So we'll throw them into the pot and add em up as well.

• GBA - 81 million (Approx)
  • DS - 100 million (approx)

Total = 181 million

Handhelds + Consoles = 296 million.

Well, your off by 16. Not bad. So far so good. Problem lies that you did infact forget to include the previous nintendo systems. Gameboy, Nintendo and Super Nintendo. Which does count because let's be honest here, nintendo did make them. Nintendo was in the console race since the 3rd generation. Nintendo has without a doubt established some of the foundations to all of gaming as we know it today. So let's throw them as well.

• Nintendo - 61 million (Approx)
  • SNES - 49 Million (Approx)
  • GB - 118 Million (Approx)

Total = 228 Million (Approx)

Total Nintendo Console Sales = 524 million

My math turned out a little different from yours. Your math works, yes. IF you include the PSP as a CONSOLE with the PS1, PS2, and PS3. And if you EXCLUDE the NES, SNES, and GB. Thus, a classic example of cherrypicking.

And if anyone begins to debate me on this last 15 years stuff. Why? Why is it fair to only include the generations sony was a major part of? Nintendo was a HUGE part of the 3rd and 4th generations of video gaming. It was some of their best years. So you exclude their best years in favor of Sony's best years? No way. If you're gonna have a debate between sony and nintendo selling more. Debate the whole history. Not just a small chunk of it. Because dispite what sony has done for the home console business. And I respect that, 2 consoles selling more than 100 million units each? Amazing. But Remember what nintendo did first.

Sony > Nintendo in Home consoles

Nintendo > Sony in handheld systems

Nintendo > Sony overall sales.

Overall, you are right in your way. Sony does have the highest sales in the last 15 years. But I still call cherry picking because you're taking the best from sony and excluding the best from nintendo.

I made mistake about counting Sony consoles. They sold about 310 million consoles. i checked on wikipedia And i didnt compared SNES,NES and GB because they were launched before 1995. I never said Sony sold most consoles overall i just said they sold most consoles in last 15 years. That was my point in first place. That's why i only included N64, GC,Wii,GBA and DS.Its not my fault Sony won those 2 gens And I DID included GBA and DS sales just like i INCLUDED PSP sales.

''And if anyone begins to debate me on this last 15 years stuff.Why?'' Because that was my point in first place.

''Why is it fair to only include the generations sony was a major part of?'' I also included this generation, you know.

''But i still call it cherry picking because you're taking the best from Sony and excluding the best from Nintendo'' Its not my fault Nintendo lost 2 generations and correct me if i am wrong but aren't DS and Wii fastest selling Nintendo systems?

BladeOfGod said:

I made mistake about counting Sony consoles. They sold about 310 million consoles. i checked on wikipedia And i didnt compared SNES,NES and GB because they were launched before 1995. I never said Sony sold most consoles overall i just said they sold most consoles in last 15 years. That was my point in first place. That's why i only included N64, GC,Wii,GBA and DS.Its not my fault Sony won those 2 gens And I DID included GBA and DS sales just like i INCLUDED PSP sales.

''And if anyone begins to debate me on this last 15 years stuff.Why?'' Because that was my point in first place.

''Why is it fair to only include the generations sony was a major part of?'' I also included this generation, you know.

''But i still call it cherry picking because you're taking the best from Sony and excluding the best from Nintendo'' Its not my fault Nintendo lost 2 generations and correct me if i am wrong but aren't DS and Wii fastest selling Nintendo systems?

More cherry picking, just because a system was releasted before 1994 does not mean it didn't sell any units after 1994. Again, I don't know, but I have a feeling a few Game Boys where sold in your magical 15 year timespan. Same with the SNES. Anyways, you're the one who said sales doesn't matter when discussing what company is the best. I have said a few times, go look at the games database, videogaming is all about the games afterall, and see if you can see a trend. Look for games that have driven the industry forward, have made a huge cultural impact, is known by everyone etc. As I said before, as some point you have to look at the facts. Arguing an opinion that has no base in the facts is pretty futile.

Alright here is my analysis of the three companies!

Nintendo - A leading company always wants to be on top. They develope everything internally and rely soully on their creative minds like Miyamoto. The GameBoy:Camera came out before the EyeToy , Tilt controls created for the GameBoy Colour, Wiimote's , rumble. It all came from inside Nintendo.

Microsoft - Sees potential and acquires it. When Microsoft sees a competitor is doing as good or better then them they aquire the competitor. If they see some new peice of technology they buy it up, a developer thats doing exceptionally well at a competitor, they purchase said developer. Microsoft saw the console wars and bought themselves a team to make the X-Box of course after trying to aquire Nintendo. They saw Rare's success and bought them up from under Nintendo. They saw Natal technology was promising so they bought the developer.

Sony - Sony is the Monkey See Monkey Do of the industry. They are almost always one step behind technology wise. They saw The GameBoy:Camera and boom Eye Toy is born. They saw 8 axis tilt control on the GBC and boom PS3 has tilt control. They see a wand used to make games more immersive in a 3D enviroment and boom they have a Wiimote.

Of these companies one is creative (Nintendo) , one sees creative potential and ceases it (Microsoft) and one mimic's creativity (Sony)!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Staude said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Staude said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Staude said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
dbot said:

Which one?

Your talking about the Magnavox Oddessy, it was one of the pioneer consoles for the light gun. They had a rifle like gun used in some games. I guess if your talking light gun then you can't argue that Magnavox and Nintendo (Arcades) had the light gun first. But that was not any kind of motion controller, like the PowerGlove or later the Wiimote!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Bong Lover said:
BladeOfGod said:

More cherry picking, just because a system was releasted before 1994 does not mean it didn't sell any units after 1994. Again, I don't know, but I have a feeling a few Game Boys where sold in your magical 15 year timespan. Same with the SNES. Anyways, you're the one who said sales doesn't matter when discussing what company is the best. I have said a few times, go look at the games database, videogaming is all about the games afterall, and see if you can see a trend. Look for games that have driven the industry forward, have made a huge cultural impact, is known by everyone etc. As I said before, as some point you have to look at the facts. Arguing an opinion that has no base in the facts is pretty futile.

Ok lets say SNES and GameBoy Sold 5 millions each after 1995 (still impossible, but whatever) they stll sold 290 million consoles which is less than Sony's numbers.