By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto responds to Natal, Sony Motion Control

BladeOfGod said:
Bong Lover said:
BladeOfGod said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Oh so after all... Nintendo, once again... was right. No wonder Miyamoto is considered to be the best game designer. And of course, Nintendo the best Video game company ever.

Kudos

No, its not.

To you, and anyone else who might walk this earth with the notion that there is or ever has been a greater videogame company than Nintendo, go check out the all times sales chart right here on VGChartz. Check the top 10, or top 20 or some such. If you are too lazy or shortsighted to realize that virtually every major innovation in the current videogame industry was pioneered by Nintendo, then at least seeing the list of the most iconic and best selling videogames should open your eyes.

There comes a time when claiming 'your opinion' just has to yield to facts. And the facts are that no matter which way you look at it, Nintendo is the greatest videogame company ever.

Sales doesnt prove they are the best. But if you still want to look at sales how about the fact Sony sold most consoles in last 15 years????

And i fail to see how Nintendo is the greatest when Sony and MS can buy that small company :)

Seriously?......

Around the Network
dbot said:
Sony announces an accessory for a motion technology they introduced 7 years ago and they are copying Nintendo? Interesting.

Yes, because the NES had motion controls

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@ NightstrikerX - Thank you for making my point. I wasn't gonna bother, but I'm glad someone did.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:
@ NightstrikerX - Thank you for making my point. I wasn't gonna bother, but I'm glad someone did.

I'm just saddened it had to come to that. The end result is the same, Sony has outsold nintendo on home consoles. Even if you include the NES and SNES. But Nintendo has outsold Sony on handheld consoles. And if you include the two console systems together. Nintendo has outsold sony all together. Give credit where credit is due. Don't change around numbers to shift your perspective on things. If I was to say console wars for the last 4 years. Who would win in home consoles? Nintendo. It's easy to shift around the numbers to make it look like your side is winning or losing and by how much. But in the end, credit goes where credit is due.

Sony and Nintendo have done remarkable things. I'm glad that they are adopting Motion technology alongside Microsoft. It means that between the competition of the three companies. A product that's truly superior will be fleshed out. In the end. Which is what impacts us, the consumers the most.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

TX109 said:
BladeOfGod said:
Bong Lover said:
BladeOfGod said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Oh so after all... Nintendo, once again... was right. No wonder Miyamoto is considered to be the best game designer. And of course, Nintendo the best Video game company ever.

Kudos

No, its not.

To you, and anyone else who might walk this earth with the notion that there is or ever has been a greater videogame company than Nintendo, go check out the all times sales chart right here on VGChartz. Check the top 10, or top 20 or some such. If you are too lazy or shortsighted to realize that virtually every major innovation in the current videogame industry was pioneered by Nintendo, then at least seeing the list of the most iconic and best selling videogames should open your eyes.

There comes a time when claiming 'your opinion' just has to yield to facts. And the facts are that no matter which way you look at it, Nintendo is the greatest videogame company ever.

Sales doesnt prove they are the best. But if you still want to look at sales how about the fact Sony sold most consoles in last 15 years????

And i fail to see how Nintendo is the greatest when Sony and MS can buy that small company :)

Seriously?......

Yeah, I think he is serious ... but he is also wrong.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Yamauchi family holds a controlling share of Nintendo, Microsoft might be able to buy Nintendo because Microsoft's market cap is (roughly) 5 times Nintendo's and the purchase of Nintendo would represent three years of Microsoft's profit; they don't have the cash on hand, but their profits would enable them to get a bond sold to purchase Nintendo.

Sony (in contrast) has a market cap of (roughly) 80% of Nintendo, they are an unprofitable company, and Nintendo's market cap represents close to 100 years of Sony's recent profitable years.

It will be interesting to watch what happens over the next couple of years though, if Nintendo can really have two living platforms with over 100 Million users their Market Cap and profits could be over half of Microsoft's ...

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
Bong Lover said:
BladeOfGod said:
Bong Lover said:
BladeOfGod said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Kudos

No, its not.

So what metric do you think would be a better indicator of which company is the best? The company that dharh had the most fun with?Powerful and reliable products, big earnings, more employees...

If I wanted to argue what band was the best band ever, I could pick my personal favourite, The Butthole Surfers, and claim they are the best band ever. My argument would have no value outside the point that I really like them, anyone who would bring up for example The Rolling Stones would be able to demolish my argument by pointing to longevity, mass market penetration, volume of work and yes, total sales numbers among many other standards.

Translated into videogames, Nintendo is The Beatles, Sony is Blink 182 and Microsoft is Ace of Base. As I said before, at some point, you have to put aside your own personal opinion and concider facts. There's no meaningful way of claiming any other company than Nintendo to be the best videogame company ever.That's your opinnion

Edit: And in relation to Sony selling the most consoles the last 15 years. Not only is that cherry picking at it's finest, but it also redefines videogaming quite severely. If you consider the handheld market to be part of the videogame market like many people do, then I suspect the numbers tell a different story. Fell free to add up Gameboy, Gameboy advance, N64, gamecube, N64, Wii and DS numbers over the past 15 years, and compare it to the PS, PS2, PS3 and PSP and see how the numbers stack up. I don't know cause I can't be bothered to do it, but I suspect Nintendo would have a pretty good showing.I said most CONSOLES, not handhelds and Gameboy was launched way before original PlayStation, so its not fair comparison.Anyway, Sony sold 320 million consoles in last 15 years, Nintendo sold about 280 million consoles (i even added GBA and DS sales which are NOT consoles just to prove you completely wrong )

Yes, you did say most consoles. And I said that looking at console sales exclusively is cherrypicking when you are talking about which videogame company is the greatest. And even if you go along with your weird 15 year time frame and console only view, it's still easy to make the case that Sony's successful consoles were made possible by the work and innovation of Nintendo.

To be honest, it feels a little surreal to even have to debate if Nintendo is a greater videogame company than anybody else. As I said, look at the games and the cultural impact, sales impact, whatever and it's beyond me to think that there's people who can pretend that there's ever been a greater videogame company than Nintendo. Unless you're using 'greatest' in the meaning 'biggest in size' and comparing the videogame company Nintendo, to the two megacooporations Sony and Microsoft. In that case you would technically be correct I guess, but that is a dishonest use of the term 'greatest videogame company'.

Eyetoy for the ps2.

Ps eye for the ps3.

Those are both before the wiis.

The wand was patented before the wii mote was shown off
and the sixaxis was shown at the same time as the wiis.

This is their 4th motion controller. The issue with sony is that they expect third partys to take advantage of these things instead of making games for them themselves. That's been the problem for a long time actually.

Check out my game about moles ^

HappySqurriel said:
TX109 said:
BladeOfGod said:
Bong Lover said:
BladeOfGod said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Kudos

No, its not.

Seriously?......

Yeah, I think he is serious ... but he is also wrong.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Yamauchi family holds a controlling share of Nintendo, Microsoft might be able to buy Nintendo because Microsoft's market cap is (roughly) 5 times Nintendo's and the purchase of Nintendo would represent three years of Microsoft's profit; they don't have the cash on hand, but their profits would enable them to get a bond sold to purchase Nintendo.

Sony (in contrast) has a market cap of (roughly) 80% of Nintendo, they are an unprofitable company, and Nintendo's market cap represents close to 100 years of Sony's recent profitable years.

It will be interesting to watch what happens over the next couple of years though, if Nintendo can really have two living platforms with over 100 Million users their Market Cap and profits could be over half of Microsoft's ...

i know he's wrong...i was just wondering if he realized what he posted.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
dbot said:
Sony announces an accessory for a motion technology they introduced 7 years ago and they are copying Nintendo? Interesting.

Yes. But the powerglove was made by mattel :p

So youre saying nintendo is copying mattel ?

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
dbot said:

Yes. But the powerglove was made by mattel :p

So youre saying nintendo is copying mattel ?

Yeah, but its ok, it was on a nintendo system first

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)