By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I've joined the Nintendo ranks again

for mario kart wii, you don't need more wheels

you can play with a nunchuck, gamecube controller, or the wiimote on the side (tilt control).

the wii wheel is just a plastic case to make tilt more fun

Romance is like playing Mastermind except the girl never tells you which pegs you got right. - Seanbaby

Around the Network
Hapimeses said:
nordlead said:
Hapimeses said:
vonboysp said:
super mario galaxy.

and i think you should also get the new super mario bros wii that was just announced. classic 2d mario gameplay in 4-player co-op sounds right up your alley.

oh, and ,ario kart wii, great multiplayer and great online.

Yeah, it was about the only thing that really sparked my interest out of the Nintendo conference, excepting, perhaps, the new Wii Fit. As I mentioned above, Super Mario Galaxuy has been bought already, and Mario Kart Wii does look tempting. Is it really worth it? How fuzzy are the controls, if at all?

MKWii is totally worth it. For $50, I've gotten 100's of hours of entertainment with my wife and friends. As for controls, I strictly play with the Wii Wheel in karts and I managed to get up above 8000VR which at that point you are typically the highest ranked when you play online. If you like the bikes, the Wheel has its downsides as you have to pull up to do a wheelie which sometimes causes you to not drive straight.

Cool, it sounds like a good buy; I'll add it to the list. And it seems I don't need to use the wheel eithere, by your post; is that correct? So, if I buy the game, could I play 3-player immediately with two Wii-mote things and a Wii-wheel thing?

no, the wheel is a case for the wiimote

Romance is like playing Mastermind except the girl never tells you which pegs you got right. - Seanbaby

nordlead said:
Hapimeses said:
nordlead said:
Galaxy and Mario Kart. You can check my game collection for other great games.

Nice collection you have there. Are all those Wii games really essential purchase? If you had to choose just 5 (not including titles I already have), which do you think you'd have to play? I'm trying to pick two or three more games to have a mess around with, and a big list of twenty, when I'm not fully conversant with the games at hand, is a little hard to consider.

Obviously not all my games are must haves, but out of the games I own I would choose these 5 in this order that you don't own (assuming you already bought galaxy). These are based on my own personal tastes and knowing you want games for your family. If I was only buying games for myself I might change some of my picks out.

1) Mario Kart Wii - best bang for the buck, and best Mario Kart to date. Mario Kart 64 beats this in battle mode, but the online racing totally rocks (note online is 2p only, but the local 4p is very customizable)

2) Punch-Out!! - this is a fast pace dodge/punch game. Essentially it is all pattern recognition, but totally rocks. If you're not sure, download Punch-Out!! for NES on VC. Lots of fun for everyone.

3) Mario Strikers Charged - unless you completely hate soccer/football this game is awesome. The game is hard if you try to win the striker cup, but tons of fun to play together. I spent weeks trying to beat this with my brother. It has the perfect mix of motion control and pointing.

4) Shuan White Snowboarding: Road Trip - excellent use of the balance board. You can play 3 people at a time while using the balance board and it is a lot of fun. The regular controls are a little lame, but swaping out who uses the balance board makes this lots of fun.

5) Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - If you like strategy games you can't go wrong wit this. If you've never played a strategy game before this game can be punishing. However, this was the game that got me into strategy video games and I've been hooked ever since.

----

other games worth buying but single player experience hence why I left them off my top 5

Metroid Prime 3 - but I'd wait for the collection as it would be the same price but you would get all 3 games. Unless you don't like the First Person Adventure experience you shouldn't get bored from playing all 3. However, you can always play other games in between finishing them just to break things up.
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - if you love Zelda
Mega Man 9 - if you love classic hardcore 2D platformers.

---

The rest of the games I own are take it or leave it. Okami is an ok Zelda ripoff, but I got bored of it after it ended for the 3rd time (they tricked me into thinking it was over anyways). Tales of Symphonia is ok and I bought it because I was a fan of the first which is a lot better. Gemoetry wars is great if you like SHMUPS. So, as you can see they are quality titles, just not must haves in my opinion.

Very helpful. Thanks muchly for that. Mario Kart Wii is now essential. Punch-Out!! I'm not convinced by. Mario Strikes Charged doesn't sound like my cup of tean, but I'm open to being convinced; I'm not a football man at all. Shawn White sounds okay; I may pick that if I see it dead cheap. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, however, sounds awesome -- really awesome. I'll have to check what the internet says about that.

Oh, and yes, a bit of Zelda is always good. I'll have to take a look at that as well, I think.

As for games I like: my game collection gives a broad idea, I suppose.

nordlead said:
Hapimeses said:
routsounmanman said:
Okami, Zack & Wiki, and for the kids Madworld.

God, that was a joke, plz don't buy it!

Zack and Wiki I know nothing about. Can anyone give me an idea here? Madworld, on the other hand, I know a fair bit about, and have considered; anyone here with the game have a strong opinion on it either way? I like the premise, and the art style, but is the game any good?

Zack and Wiki is a point & click adventure. I bought it since I got it for $6, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a fan of those games. It plays slow so while I beat most of it I got bored. As you get farther the stages get longer and dieing sets you back a lot more.

Hmm, don't know if I could be arsed with that. Perhaps if I spot it very cheap indeed.

fire emblem is awesome, and the internet agrees

Around the Network

FIre Emblem: Radiant Dawn is awesome, but you should pick up Path of Radiance before that if that's your kind of thing. Radiant Dawn is the sequel - Path of Radiance is a Gamecube game, but since you have a Wii that isn't a problem, I suppose.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=67515

Here is a topic where some of the Fire Emblem fanatics gather.

PUNCH-OUT!!

Mario Kart Wii

Can't go wrong with these two. Fun as core games on their own, but also a blast to play with friends and the family.

nordlead said:
Hapimeses said:
amp316 said:
Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii are the must have games if it's for you, your, wife, and your kids.

Thanks for the recommendation. Since I've bought the first since I wrote the OP, it seems I'm halfway there. I notice that Mario Kart Wii has its own controller-thing. Would I have to buy a bunch of those to play multi-player? I'm already smarting after playing £25 for a crappy proprietry component cable to get 480p out of the machine. £25! Bloody hell! 480p isn't worth that! An HDMI cable only costs me a fiver!

Okay, rant over. Sorry.

You got ripped off on that cable. I bought a $5 one online twice. One I gave to my brother.

Yeah, I kinda knew that. I popped into my local Gamestation as the picture I had at home looked really bad on my set, and I wanted an immediate solution -- it was all they had. Unfortunately, the image didn't look all that much better in 480p -- it seems the Wii doesn't look so good on a 1080p set. Ah well, I kinda expected it, but, still, I'd kinda hoped for more. It certainly makes the PS3 look like god's gift to graphics (I won't mention my PC at all, as it's just embarrassing for the poor, wee Wii). Still, the Wii was never meant to be about the graphics, was it.

nordlead said:
Hapimeses said:
bardicverse said:
Its not for the kids, but my fav Wii game right now is Bully. LOTS of fun

Yeah, I know Bully, but never got around to picking it up on PS2. Is the Wii version any different? Worth buying instead of PS2 version?

I never played Bully, but Godfather: Blackhand edition is essentially the same kind of game (sandbox game) and was the best I've ever played. I never had more fun choking, beating and shooting people to death. I know, it sounds so horrible

No, it sounds like a good bit of gaming to me.

On that, for those that know, how do Wii games of this ilk compare to PS3 games of this ilk? Am I better sticking to PS3 games for this sort of stuff, or is there anything on the Wii worth checking out?

nordlead said:
Hapimeses said:
Quilex said:
Yep Boom Blox game original cheap or the new one great multilayer game. Super Paper Mario is also a good one for family and dare I say wii fit or wait for wii fit + ithas been used a lot in our house and we have Shawn White for it as well, the balance board is fun as a "bring out when you have friends over" item.

Yeaj Wii Fit was an essential purchase for us, and was the driving reason for buying the machine. It's already had a fair bit of use, but I was surprised to learn I'd lost 4lbs in just 10 minutes of 'working out'. Hmm, not the most accurate then. That said, it's still a good larf.

As for Super Paper Mario, I know pretty much nothing about this; what's the game about?

It was all water weight. As you sweat you can easily lose 10lb of weight if you don't rehydrate yourself. Which is why you should weigh youself once a day before you really do anything.

(so, does all my replies start to count as spamming yet )

Trust me, they only count as spamming if all my replies do; it looks like I'm going to be here all night asking questions!

And, I didn't sweat at all, unfortuantely. It was only 10 minutes of messing with mini-games, and I was messing with the easy stuff.