By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft plans on making Halo, Call of Duty playable with Project Natal

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,524297,00.html

LOS ANGELES —  Go ahead and look in the mirror. You're looking at the latest game controller for Microsoft's Xbox 360.

That's right, it's you! Microsoft took the idea of the Nintendo Wii motion controller five steps further by allowing us to control our games with our bodies — there's nothing you have to hold.

It's called "Project Natal," which sounds like a top-secret government operation, or a new energy drink. Microsoft is known for changing the name of its products before they launch, and I sure hope it does in this case.

But despite the funky name, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after seeing the demo during the Microsoft press conference on Monday at the E3 gaming convention in Los Angeles.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Video Gaming Center.

When you consider the underwhelming reception given to Windows Vista, the Surface interactive table, the Zune portable media player and Windows Mobile, it's not a stretch to say that Natal could be Microsoft's home run of the decade.

Natal uses cameras and a microphone mounted to a Wii-style sensor bar to detect the user. It recognizes movements, talking, and can even tell the difference between me and my grandma, and not just because she's better looking.

The system has plenty of goodies, such as voice and face recognition, video chatting and speech commands. After scrolling through your movies with a mid-air hand wave, just call out "Play movie!" and "Steel Magnolias" will start rolling. Love racing games? Why not grip an imaginary steering wheel and burn rubber?

Don't worry about buying a whole new console — Natal is an add-on accessory for all existing Xbox 360s. That's great news for gamers who are tired of shelling out big bucks every five years for a whole new system.

Of course, everything looks great on stage at a well-produced Hollywood-style event. The real test will come in your living room when Uncle Chester has to catch an imaginary fish with his imaginary rod at the next family gathering.

If it's done right, every family will want this. If it's done wrong, you'll be dusting off your Wii bowling shoes and it will be a big embarrassment for Microsoft. But it certainly seems like Natal's got tons of potential.

It may be fun to play virtual horseshoes or lawn darts with your 5-year-old, but what's in it for hardcore gamers?

Microsoft Corporate Vice President John Schappert, who led the keynote address, told me that he's excited to see what happens now that developers are able to get their hands on the development kit for Natal.

Will we see "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare" and "Halo" using this new controller-free technology? Schappert says that's what Microsoft is hoping for.

So that means you could be diving behind your couch to avoid an incoming grenade attack. Or jumping off the coffee table to ambush a Nazi in "Saboteur."

I recommend stretching first and wearing sweatpants.

Wonder how they are gonna do this.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

say you already scan the toy gun or whatever it is close to a gun, how is it possible for Natal to detect your finger movement while its partially covered?

COD online with natal? Good luck!

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

hahahahaha

Guys my predictions seems more & mor likely

this will truly bring FPS to the masses

they need a new casual FPS franchise, cell shaded & cartoony preferably!

The only way I can see it working for FPS is if they add a nunchuck like thing for body movement and the triggers. You could always jump, crouch, and aim with your buddy motions.

Around the Network

I wouldn't let Uncle Chester come to any family gatherings. He might try to catch something else with his pole.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

There is no way that it could happen without accessories, like a waist high wall for Gears of War 2

Think about it.

• Playing Gears of War and actually take cover
  • Playing a stealth game where you actually have to hide
  • Fashion labels presenting new collections on Xbox Live. You can wear them on the screen and use the camera as a kind of mirror, turn around and see if it fits you. If so, you can go out and buy it. Everyone benefits, customers, Labels and Xbox Live.

endless possibilities.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

@DirtyP20002

I love NATAL

but that sounds horrible, I don't want to move around, duck & do stupid things like that

DirtyP2002 said:

Think about it.

• Playing Gears of War and actually take cover
  • Playing a stealth game where you actually have to hide
  • Fashion labels presenting new collections on Xbox Live. You can wear them on the screen and use the camera as a kind of mirror, turn around and see if it fits you. If so, you can go out and buy it. Everyone benefits, customers, Labels and Xbox Live.

endless possibilities.

Just think about how ridiculously tiring playing GeoW would be, diving around the place, and would you just crouch down, or would you need props? And with stealth games would you just need a big box (MGS like) that you go into when you need to hide... sounds very silly