By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Updated my Amazon Review of the PS3

Theres a good amount of titles released and going to be released this Holiday season. Each of the titles bring something to each of their specific genre making it so that if your a fan of the genre its a must buy. Heres a list of some of the major titles out and coming out.

Folklore
Unreal Tournament III
Haze
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Eye of Judgement
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
SingStar
WarHawk Bundle with Bluetooth Headset
Heavenly Sword

With tons of massive titles coming out in the next few years there is no reason to get a PS3 now.

==> what is wrong with you ? lol

Time to Work !

Around the Network
libellule said:

Theres a good amount of titles released and going to be released this Holiday season. Each of the titles bring something to each of their specific genre making it so that if your a fan of the genre its a must buy. Heres a list of some of the major titles out and coming out.

Folklore
Unreal Tournament III
Haze
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Eye of Judgement
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
SingStar
WarHawk Bundle with Bluetooth Headset
Heavenly Sword

With tons of massive titles coming out in the next few years there is no reason to get a PS3 now.

==> what is wrong with you ? lol

its called sarcasm.

@Legend - I'm so not going into that.. lets just say I'd really enjoy punching Seb (one of the owners) in the mouth.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

For me there was really no point to waiting for the price to drop or anything like that. Would I wait a year if somebody offered to pay me 100 or 200 dollars to not play great games like Resistance: Fall of Man, Oblivion, Warhawk and Super Stardust HD in 2007? (and considering I never owned a PS2, the God of War games) Hell no! Even without any good games I wouldn't have seen a point in waiting any longer, as it doubles as a great Blu-Ray player and nice media hub for me already.

But the games I anticipated most are Ratchet and Clank Future and Killzone 2. For others the outlook on favourites like Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid being under development for the PS3 may comfort them in already buying a PS3 to play other (soon to be) released games (as mentioned above). I hope the PS3 performs well this christmas.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

There's a bit too much hype thrown in the games-to-own section. 

You talk about the 360 a bit too much to be good.  Better to be a "This is awesome" type of review than a "This is better than the other guy" type of review.

Not enough justification for the price.  Keep drawing the reader back to the price assuring him/her that it's worthwhile because that's the biggest road-block for a potential PS3 owner.

Good review overall.

That's a good writeup from a Sony Fan perspective. Although they are relatively mild, you take a couple of shots at the 360 which reduces the credibility of the writing. Your review should make it so the PS3 stands on it's own two feet. Ideally, not even mentioning the competition is the best bet as no matter what you are doing you add credibility to the other console mentioned and any attempt to "bash" the competitor makes the article seem cheap and biased.

I realize the last sentence is sarcasm, but it could be construed as a "There are great games coming... but wait and buy it when they do". Sarcasm is definitely a bad idea in a solid piece of journalism. Instead, you may want to reverse that... With the solid current and even stronger future lineup, now is the time to jump in and enjoy all that the PS3 has to offer...

Words of Wisdom also hit on another imporant aspect.  Trying to justify the price of the console implies it is overpriced.  You might want to work on that part, too...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I realized that I forgot to update this after I rewrote the multi-disc part a bit.

The first point with the 360 isn't even a pock-shot at it, I was defending the truth that its not going to the 360. The second is meant to be a defense for games on Blu-ray.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:
I realized that I forgot to update this after I rewrote the multi-disc part a bit.

The first point with the 360 isn't even a pock-shot at it, I was defending the truth that its not going to the 360. The second is meant to be a defense for games on Blu-ray.

I know you are "defending" the MGS4 rumor, but it is considered bad form to do.  Being "defensive" just never seems to come off very well  in any type of writing as it implies there is some reason to.  You are better off just saying something Like:  With Confirmed exlusives like: "Uncharted, Ratchet, GT5, MGS4, FF13,..." (then add your color here).  Leave it at that.

Same thing for blu-ray.  Instead of being defensive and saying something fanboyish like "switching disks is so-last gen and went out with the PS1", you stick with the positive... Again, simply stating that with the increased storage capacity of Blu-Ray, the PS3 can store X times more data than standard DVD9 formats that were used last generation.  What does this mean?  More space for 7.1 uncompressed, more CGI, more X, More Y, More Z -- in short, a more complete and epic adventure possible -- all on a single disk.

Do you understand what I'm saying?  Rather than be defensive, just accentuate the positive and leave it at that.  Period.  Multi-disk being last gen?  No reason to go there.  It's fanboyish plain and simple.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:
ssj12 said:

I know you are "defending" the MGS4 rumor, but it is considered bad form to do. Being "defensive" just never seems to come off very well in any type of writing as it implies there is some reason to. You are better off just saying something Like: With Confirmed exlusives like: "Uncharted, Ratchet, GT5, MGS4, FF13,..." (then add your color here). Leave it at that.

Same thing for blu-ray. Instead of being defensive and saying something fanboyish like "switching disks is so-last gen and went out with the PS1", you stick with the positive... Again, simply stating that with the increased storage capacity of Blu-Ray, the PS3 can store X times more data than standard DVD9 formats that were used last generation. What does this mean? More space for 7.1 uncompressed, more CGI, more X, More Y, More Z -- in short, a more complete and epic adventure possible -- all on a single disk.

Do you understand what I'm saying? Rather than be defensive, just accentuate the positive and leave it at that. Period. Multi-disk being last gen? No reason to go there. It's fanboyish plain and simple.

Hey kn... this is a review not a PS3 advertisement... or is it? 

Words Of Wisdom said:
kn said:
ssj12 said:

I know you are "defending" the MGS4 rumor, but it is considered bad form to do. Being "defensive" just never seems to come off very well in any type of writing as it implies there is some reason to. You are better off just saying something Like: With Confirmed exlusives like: "Uncharted, Ratchet, GT5, MGS4, FF13,..." (then add your color here). Leave it at that.

Same thing for blu-ray. Instead of being defensive and saying something fanboyish like "switching disks is so-last gen and went out with the PS1", you stick with the positive... Again, simply stating that with the increased storage capacity of Blu-Ray, the PS3 can store X times more data than standard DVD9 formats that were used last generation. What does this mean? More space for 7.1 uncompressed, more CGI, more X, More Y, More Z -- in short, a more complete and epic adventure possible -- all on a single disk.

Do you understand what I'm saying? Rather than be defensive, just accentuate the positive and leave it at that. Period. Multi-disk being last gen? No reason to go there. It's fanboyish plain and simple.

Hey kn... this is a review not a PS3 advertisement... or is it?

its a review, if I was to review the 360 id take poke-shots at the PS3's lineup and I technically already did the Wii, I would just need to rewrite a few lines to make it a real review. 

I found you entire review to be mostly your personal stance of the every annoying nerd vs. nerd argument involving the PS3 we’ve all seen before on these and many other internet forums.

It’s a review of a video game console, yet there is no mention of the controller, at all. How does it feel? What are the differences between it and the PS2 controller?
How’s the battery life? Does playing movies with it feel natural or should I opt for the remote add-on? All practical stuff I’d like to know about.

No mention of backwards compatibility, which was a big selling point for the PS2 for me. Possible hidden costs of accessories that every console have, that’s important. How bout ease of use. What’s the menu system like, it snappy, it easy? How bout set-up, both psychically and software. It come with everything you need out of the box? (HD cables?) Isn’t it kind of big and oddly shaped, that’s a concern for people with limited shelf space left like me. What kind of hassle is required for updates. Is there an offline method for acquiring updates. You don’t touch on any of this.

You’ve written a sales pitch, not a review.

…let me explain why this is worth it without stating what I said above, those are mainly just a giant plus sign.

Now what's so great about Blu-ray that HD-DVD or standard DVD's can't do?

And it’s not even that good a pitch. Why should we care about it’s processor? One of the reasons I prefer console gaming to PC is I don’t have to think about that shit. Each console is stuck with whatever they come with, and that’s it. Or HDMI 1.3. Again, why is it so important that it deserves a paragraph and not the controller or backwards compatibility. It supports a HD format that no TV currently has, and an audio format that almost no can take advantage of?

And you mention both SKU’s but nothing in the way is which might be a better buy. For a $100 price difference it. If you were reviewing specifically one of them then just cut that part out, if you plan to apply the review to both of them you should also mention why one might worth might be worth more than the other.

There is no criticism at all towards the PS3 in your review. All though you make sure to take some jabs at the XBOX 360, and also bring up MGS4’s exclusivity. And don’t provide a link to your claim even though you have links to other games for sale on Amazon. If you don’t care or even know about MGS4 it’s just distracting and unnecessary.

And your last line is sarcastic, really? It looks like a typo where you simply forget to type a word you were thinking. (I probably did that a few dozen times in this post myself.) I just assumed you meant to write “…there is no reason to NOT get a PS3 now.”. Sarcasm doesn’t transcend well on the internet, and far less when it’s a single line at the end of a review.

Like I said, this isn’t a review, it’s a sales pitch, and not a convincing one for me. I’m yet to try a PS3 outside of a demo at a store, so I’m still mostly in the dark on the practical and subtle aspects of it, and repeating annoying tired arguments from forums and simple lists of games I’m suppose to believe are good don’t help someone like me in the least with making a decision.