By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Updated my Amazon Review of the PS3

BrainBoxLtd said:

You’ve written a sales pitch, not a review.

Bingo.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

"The Cell has been rated to be 12 - 15 times faster than Intel's Core 2 Quad-Extreme. "

Link please.

I've read loads of user reviews of both the Ps3 and the Wii.

The PS3 reviews are always tech based and the Wii ones tend to be personal experiences which are more appealing. It might be an idea to back away (at least a bit) from the purely tech side and say how wonderful HD movies look,  or how fun the PS3 games are..instead of dry tech which most people don't understand or are bored of by now.

My parents would think "whaa??"

I would simply think, yeah I know. Great stats, but I got a great gaming PC..so umm what makes this thing any more  fun?

Apart from that it's quite well written and the tech is all correct...apart from the comparison to the QX6700.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Machina-AX said:
You can't dl movies or music from the PS Store yet, which makes your second paragraph a tad misleading. I can't see myself dling music from the Store anyway, but I would definitely dl movies if the prices were reasonable.

not really, as you can use the web browser to download music and movies. And actually Sony is starting to post up the soundtrack for Lair onto the PS Store.

Also im busy writing up an essay for my college class right now... 10 page essay to be exact .... joy..

I appreciate the feed back actually and plan on using it to improve the review. I'll get to these eventually. Currently on amazon my review has 61/77 good review votes. ^.^ 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I realize the last sentence is sarcasm, but it could be construed as a "There are great games coming... but wait and buy it when they do". Sarcasm is definitely a bad idea in a solid piece of journalism. Instead, you may want to reverse that... With the solid current and even stronger future lineup, now is the time to jump in and enjoy all that the PS3 has to offer...

==> well, it is why I didnt understand your sarcasm ssj12.
It was completely unpexected lol.

Time to Work !

libellule said:
I realize the last sentence is sarcasm, but it could be construed as a "There are great games coming... but wait and buy it when they do". Sarcasm is definitely a bad idea in a solid piece of journalism. Instead, you may want to reverse that... With the solid current and even stronger future lineup, now is the time to jump in and enjoy all that the PS3 has to offer...

==> well, it is why I didnt understand your sarcasm ssj12.
It was completely unpexected lol.

well im planning on working on this and start doing some game reviews soon for this site and amazon. Just wait and see. I rather enjoy. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network

2 Points :

1) I'll agree with the earlier poster and try to keep away from comparing it to the Xbox 360,keep to the positives and make it sound fun, also you could throw in a small negitive or 2 so it sounds balanced.

2) "The Cell has been rated to be 12 - 15 times faster than Intel's Core 2 Quad-Extreme. " - It sounds like it's taken from a crazy fan boy rant and doesn't fit the rest of your review.

Even so I would love to see where you got that idea from :)

Keep on writing, I'm looking forward to reading your future reviews

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Vengi said:
2 Points :

1) I'll agree with the earlier poster and try to keep away from comparing it to the Xbox 360,keep to the positives and make it sound fun, also you could throw in a small negitive or 2 so it sounds balanced.

2) "The Cell has been rated to be 12 - 15 times faster than Intel's Core 2 Quad-Extreme. " - It sounds like it's taken from a crazy fan boy rant and doesn't fit the rest of your review.

Even so I would love to see where you got that idea from :)

Keep on writing, I'm looking forward to reading your future reviews

1. Theres still a ton of work to do on this. I just updated the review, fleshed out points, clarified things, and removed the 360 things because the arguments were a bit dated. I'll add in a negative or two in one of the rewrites, I still need to add something about the SixAxiS.

2. I'd love to give you the link to that, its in one of IBM's tech documents. Only one major problem, theres about 1000 separate benchmark and tech documents on the CELL alone. And to clarify why I put 12 - 15 instead of one general number like benchmark numbers are, I was giving some movement ground on the strength as IBM tests under real world and perfect environments and we all know real world environmental conditions change and can effect performance of any piece of hardware both positively and negatively.

But yea, MAJOR UPDATE TO THIS lol. Almost a whole new review.  

BrainBoxLtd said:
 Yah, Id have to agree here unfortunately. Instead of an actual review of the system, it comes off as a very long rehash of console and hd format debates, all rolled into one article, but written by someone with a Sony bias. So it was more of  a "why the PS3 is superior" rather than a review of the PS3 itself.  Yes all reviews will draw some comparisons to that products competition but they usually try and remain more objective.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

friedtofu said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
Yah, Id have to agree here unfortunately. Instead of an actual review of the system, it comes off as a very long rehash of console and hd format debates, all rolled into one article, but written by someone with a Sony bias. So it was more of a "why the PS3 is superior" rather than a review of the PS3 itself. Yes all reviews will draw some comparisons to that products competition but they usually try and remain more objective.

I tried to cut down on the 360 references but the HDMI one had to stay because its still a common argument and it made it easier to explain HDMI 1.2 vs 1.3. 

I was trying to just list all the features and explain the tech.

Anyone who read this before I updated it, did this improve it or did it lose some of its flavor?  

ssj12 said:
friedtofu said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
Yah, Id have to agree here unfortunately. Instead of an actual review of the system, it comes off as a very long rehash of console and hd format debates, all rolled into one article, but written by someone with a Sony bias. So it was more of a "why the PS3 is superior" rather than a review of the PS3 itself. Yes all reviews will draw some comparisons to that products competition but they usually try and remain more objective.

I tried to cut down on the 360 references but the HDMI one had to stay because its still a common argument and it made it easier to explain HDMI 1.2 vs 1.3.

I was trying to just list all the features and explain the tech.

Anyone who read this before I updated it, did this improve it or did it lose some of its flavor?

Same problem on HDMI, though.  The rest is fantastically improved... You don't need the 360... Just HDMI 1.3 as the latest version.  You can simply say that 1.3 improved over 1.2 by providing these important features: blah blah blah.  Anyone who is looking for a review and wants to be educated about 1.2 vs. 1.3 will get it from that.  Better yet, it allows the person reading the review to judge the PS3 on its merit of having 1.3 rather than being better than a 360 because it only has 1.2.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.