By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Natal Fab, Fad or Failure?

well, in order for it to be a hit MS will have to follow nintendo's model - don't sell the hardware sell the game that is in the same box as the hardware.

Around the Network

If that Milo thing is real then this is really awesome. It has alot of potential. I think its FAB and I am looking forward to what it brings in the future.

It sounds awesome, and it looks like it works extremely well. One question though is How much will it cost? Cause if it is too expensive I see this becoming a huge failure, I dont think too many people are going to pay $100+ for this. But if it's in the $50 range, I think you might have alot of people interested, me being one of them.

I'd say it's a Fad.

Success is unproven and it'll definitely not be good for certain genre's (but it's not supposed to replace the traditional controller, I don't think).

The Tech is definitely impressive.

I say fad because it'll probably get pushed aside this generation and one company will revisit it in a few generations time and it will explode and everyone will claim it to be innovation (wii style).

Well, lets look at the facts.

It is only capable of being used by one person on a 360 (so far) so splitscreen games are out the window. I didn't see the video, so I don't know what it looks like, but if you have several wires around you, ***it could prove more complicated than equipping a Wiimote.***

It costs around $200. By the time of release, it may get down to $150, but still, $150 for that and $199 for a 360, extra money for a harddrive, ****you might as well save up $50 more dollars and get a 360. ***

***If you already have one, I don't know if you'd shell out $150-$200 for that, with no games in your current library being compatible for it. Plus, with the Wii being out 3 years, I'm not surprised that this has the potential to be better. Look at the MS avatars compared to Miis***

***= separated by opinion.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
senseinobaka said:
Failure. It fundamentally misses some of the important aspects of motion gaming, the lack of local multiplayer is particularly alarming. Also it looks wonky, the camera capture isnt polished yet at all. It's a great idea..but needs some more years in development.

I also think MS internally lacks the ability/innovation to design stellar apps around it. What they showed was horrible. Splashing paint hap-hazardly around? Really!? 3-d breakout: Flail edition? Its almost as if they dont get gaming.

Huh?  They showed 4-5 people using it in one of the demos.  Also do you judge  how games will turn out for a consoles based on the tech demos shown before the console is ever released?  And why did you completely ignore Peter's game at the end which seems pretty interesting?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2009286427_microsoft_xbox_throws_down_gau.html

E3: Microsoft Xbox throws down gauntlet with "Natal" controller

Posted by Brier Dudley

LOS ANGELES -- Microsoft revealed a motion-sensing gadget for the Xbox 360 that it said will change the future of entertainment -- and not just play catch-up with Nintendo's Wii.

If it works as promised, the device could dramatically raise the ante in the competition between the Xbox, Wii and PlayStation and usher in a new era of immersive entertainment.

Code-named Project Natal, the device is a horizontal bar about nine inches wide and stuffed with cameras, depth sensors and array microphones.

It can detect the voices and motions of people nearby, so they can interact with an Xbox and games just by talking and moving their bodies.

Prices and timing weren't available, but it won't be available until 2010 at the earliest and will probably cost around $200. Microsoft has already given game developers tools to start building games that uses the device.

At first it sounds like a challenger to Nintendo's Wii, which uses motion-sensitive controllers. but Natal recognizes gestures and motions made by the entire body without any sort of controller in the hand, Microsoft Vice President Shane Kim said.

"This goes way beyond the Wii," he said.

Natal will also add voice control, so users could walk up to an Xbox and use their voice to start a movie or check messages.

Kim said the device is intended to remove "barriers," making the Xbox more accessible to people who are intimidated by all the buttons and controls on a traditional game controller.

The potential price point is a big problem.
The lack of existing games is a big problem.

This might work with a new system. But for a system that will have been out five years when this hits market .... it may be more flop than even fad.

Now if Microsoft made this the core of a new Xbox 540, then it could be a very different story. Of course, some games are not going to work very well with it. So you will need to be "real" controllers as well.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Well to me... it looks amazing.

Aside from Alan Wake, L4D2, MW2 and MGS:R it was the most impressive thing

im skeptical, i think nintendo and sony both have something in the works like this. there is no way MS is the only one to have thought of this.

Legend11 said:
senseinobaka said:
Failure. It fundamentally misses some of the important aspects of motion gaming, the lack of local multiplayer is particularly alarming. Also it looks wonky, the camera capture isnt polished yet at all. It's a great idea..but needs some more years in development.

I also think MS internally lacks the ability/innovation to design stellar apps around it. What they showed was horrible. Splashing paint hap-hazardly around? Really!? 3-d breakout: Flail edition? Its almost as if they dont get gaming.

Huh?  They showed 4-5 people using it in one of the demos.  Also do you judge  how games will turn out for a consoles based on the tech demos shown before the console is ever released?  And why did you completely ignore Peter's game at the end which seems pretty interesting?

Yes but only one at a time were actually playing.

OT:The tech is amazing but its just not gonna take off.