By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Natal Fab, Fad or Failure?

Price and software are key, of course, but I also think that to really take off, MS needs some kind of device you can hold in your hand while you use this.

The wiimote didn't take off by replacing buttons and thumbsticks, it took off by supplementing them. Different input devices are optimal for different activities, and while Natal might be extremely efficient for some kinds of gameplay, it's going to need supplemental inputs (buttons and thumbsticks) to support all kinds of gameplay. A lot of games would be better played with Natal + a wiimote-like device than with Natal alone.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Mojo said:
steven787 said:
Mojo said:
(Wii owner) Unless Nintendo has something VERY big and unexpected up their sleeves, they are worried. Unless Sonyhas something VERY big and unexpected up their sleeves, they are terrified.

(PSWii)  I don't think Nintendo needs to worry too much, they have an install base already.  Sony has to worry no matter what because they still aren't making money.

The difference is that Natal looks like a more immersive (ie better) motion control and the XBOX already has the hi-def graphics. No matter what, for Nintendo to catch MS in the tech (not sales obviously), they need to release a new system.

If we're talking sales, MS will not reach anywhere near the succes with Natal that Wii has had in general.  But that isn't that important to the big picture.

If we're talking games and functionality, you are absolutely right.  The strengths of this outweigh the weakness (compared to the Wii remote).  Lack of local multiplayer is insignificant to all that this peripheral (it's more than just a peripheral) can do.

Does Nintendo or most casual gamers or potential gamers really care? I do not think they do because of the nature of it being an add on to a system they do not own. I doubt that they will buy another console and this miracle device.

The important questions are: (For 360 and MS) How will developers use it? (For everyone else) When will I have something similar that is universal (not-360 exclusive) that I can use on my PC or other entertainment or communication device? (in general) How far can software push this tech.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
Mojo said:
steven787 said:
Mojo said:
(Wii owner) Unless Nintendo has something VERY big and unexpected up their sleeves, they are worried. Unless Sonyhas something VERY big and unexpected up their sleeves, they are terrified.

(PSWii)  I don't think Nintendo needs to worry too much, they have an install base already.  Sony has to worry no matter what because they still aren't making money.

The difference is that Natal looks like a more immersive (ie better) motion control and the XBOX already has the hi-def graphics. No matter what, for Nintendo to catch MS in the tech (not sales obviously), they need to release a new system.

If we're talking sales, MS will not reach anywhere near the succes with Natal that Wii has had in general.  But that isn't that important to the big picture.

If we're talking games and functionality, you are absolutely right.  The strengths of this outweigh the weakness (compared to the Wii remote).  Lack of local multiplayer is insignificant to all that this peripheral (it's more than just a peripheral) can do.

Does Nintendo or most casual gamers or potential gamers really care? I do not think they do because of the nature of it being an add on to a system they do not own. I doubt that they will buy another console and this miracle device.

The important questions are: (For 360 and MS) How will developers use it? (For everyone else) When will I have something similar that is universal (not-360 exclusive) that I can use on my PC or other entertainment or communication device? (in general) How far can software push this tech.

For sure, what you say makes sense. I don't think anyone should give any definitive conclusions on this tech just yet. We have only seen a few tech demos. It does look very promising at this point. I hope they can deliver on these promises. I also remember being very negative and critical when I first saw the wii-remote.

Mojo said:
steven787 said:
Mojo said:
steven787 said:
Mojo said:

Mojo Said:

For sure, what you say makes sense. I don't think anyone should give any definitive conclusions on this tech just yet. We have only seen a few tech demos. It does look very promising at this point. I hope they can deliver on these promises. I also remember being very negative and critical when I first saw the wii-remote.

I am a sucker for new stuff.  I loved the Wii Remote from the second I saw it... I hated (and still hate) Six Axis.  It's just aweful. (PSWii owner)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

The only thing that would stop this from being a success is the price, I personally wont be forking over more than $50 for a controller for a 3 year old console I don't care what it does, most 360 owners (30 million of them) probably feel the same way. MS did say that they will be bundling it with every 360 once its released so they are serious about going head to head with Sony and Nintendo this gen.... I say enough gadgets man, we gamers just want games.

Around the Network

They should have waited for the next generation with this.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Am I the only one that heard upon release it will come packaged with every Xbox 360 and be backwards compatible with all existing ones? It can't be too expensive if it is already going to come with newer 360's.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Goddbless said:
Am I the only one that heard upon release it will come packaged with every Xbox 360 and be backwards compatible with all existing ones. It can't be too expensive if it is already going to come with newer 360's.

it's coming out next year, so probably instead of a possible price cut they will just include it in new Xbox'es then.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Goddbless said:

Am I the only one that heard upon release it will come packaged with every Xbox 360 and be backwards compatible with all existing ones? It can't be too expensive if it is already going to come with newer 360's.

I believe what they said is that it will be compatible with every version of the xbox. I don't recall them saying it would be a pack-in, but it could make sense that when they release it, they will pack it in instead of having a price drop.

first off the name of natal doesn't sound right. the name is horrible it sounds middle eastern . u need a name that is catchy and easy to remember especially for the masses and the old people. from what i see it could be pretty cool. but how much is it going to cost. some people have posted on this board that it may cost 200 hunid that is hella lot for a toy, and that is not including the system itself. dude if it cost that much i could see nintendo drop the wii to 200 hunid also and who do u think the masses will get?