By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass Effect 2 ... 2009?

2009 would be awesome but I expect it to be 2010. Bioware told OXM that they are releasing DLC for Mass Effect 1, so that is something that might ship soon.

Around the Network

Hmm... it sounds like MS want it out before christmas. It would be a shame if Bioware had to rush the game out for the holidays.

@Seece

I thought the "list wars" were about quality not sales. It doesn't matter how much it sells, ODST is still not a full game...

I hope MS don't force Bioware to rush it.
That would be a travesty

I think it will be better for Mass Effect 2 to stay Q1 2010 so that it doesnt collide with the huge holiday line up. Maybe it has something to do with John Riccitello learning from last years Mirrors Edge and Dead Space. I notice that Dragon Age is also releasing before the holiday starts.

However, of course the Mass Effect fan in me says just give it to me now.

EaglesEye379 said:
I think it will be better for Mass Effect 2 to stay Q1 2010 so that it doesnt collide with the huge holiday line up. Maybe it has something to do with John Riccitello learning from last years Mirrors Edge and Dead Space. I notice that Dragon Age is also releasing before the holiday starts.

I think ME 2 is big enough to compete in the holiday season, and there aren't any other RPGs coming out aside from DO:A, and there is Bethesda's new game coming out in Spring 2010 as well. I think that it is a genuine delay to make sure that the game is completely ready, but I think it makes ME 3's appearance on the Xbox unlikely as I can't see there not being a nextbox by 2012, when the next game would most likely release

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
EaglesEye379 said:

I think ME 2 is big enough to compete in the holiday season, and there aren't any other RPGs coming out aside from DO:A, and there is Bethesda's new game coming out in Spring 2010 as well. I think that it is a genuine delay to make sure that the game is completely ready, but I think it makes ME 3's appearance on the Xbox unlikely as I can't see there not being a nextbox by 2012, when the next game would most likely release

I would rather compete with Brink than Modern Warfare 2, Assassins Creed 2 and BioShock 2. They just have to make sure it gets released away from FF13.

As this cycle keeps going, the evidence is building that the HD consoles are here to stay for a very long time. Even last year, I was sure that the earliest ever that the next HD gen will start is 2012, but now Im thinking its more like 2014-2015. All the big publishers Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take 2 all agree and only Ubisoft even mentioned thinking of development for next gen. Microsoft only started making money in 2007 and have learnt from the huge costs for Xbox and starting up the 360. Sony is not even breaking even on the PS3 yet. Both 360 and PS3 have a long way to go to the price of the PS2 now - $100. 

I do think slim versions will come within the next 2 years, and PS3s one may even be this year if rumours are true. 

That is true, if they could get it ready for September it would be different, but as it is, it is Spring, so at best it would have come in November, and yeah that is certainly busy. I don't think there is any danger of it coinciding with XIII, I doubt that will be out until Winter 2010...

In terms of the life-spans of the consoles, I am pretty sure that we will see the nextbox in 2012, 7 years is a long time to keep a console on the market, and I assume M$ will want to beat the competition out the door again. I would be interested in knowing how much the Xbox 360 costs to make, because if they are near breaking even with the arcade, it is so cheap that they can keep it at that price for a long time and probably get some decent money from it, especially if this generation does keep on going for ages as then they will get even greater software sales

I believe people are totally overrating the impact of this year's releases in the big scheme of things. Each side believes their library of exclusives will dominate and crush.

Munkeh111 said:
That is true, if they could get it ready for September it would be different, but as it is, it is Spring, so at best it would have come in November, and yeah that is certainly busy. I don't think there is any danger of it coinciding with XIII, I doubt that will be out until Winter 2010...

In terms of the life-spans of the consoles, I am pretty sure that we will see the nextbox in 2012, 7 years is a long time to keep a console on the market, and I assume M$ will want to beat the competition out the door again. I would be interested in knowing how much the Xbox 360 costs to make, because if they are near breaking even with the arcade, it is so cheap that they can keep it at that price for a long time and probably get some decent money from it, especially if this generation does keep on going for ages as then they will get even greater software sales

If MS wants to follow Sony's path then theres more evidence it will be >7 years until at least 2014-2015. With the costs of the PS3 and all Sonys studios only now starting to hit their stride with the PS3, Im sure Sony will want the PS3 around for at least 10 years - making it 2016. 

Actually thinking about it, Mass Effect dropped around the same time as Assassins Creed / Call of Duty 4 / BioShock so maybe its more to do with development time like you said :)

Are you saying that you think that the PS3 will be Sony's primary console for 10 years? I think 8 at most