By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was SNES the Golden Age of videogames?

richardhutnik said:
theprof00 said:
^I think you are confusing the word golden age with something else.
Golden age implies breakthroughs.

For instance the renaissance is called the golden age of art and invention, but today we have robots and lady gaga

If you want to talk breakthrough, I will go to the Arcade period of videogames, from Pong through the Fighting Games (Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat) up until polygons and the Playstation hit.  This time period represented the MOST breakthroughs in videogames.  The moment arcades died off, that is when we settled into now.  The Neogeo was likely the final curtain call for arcade games.

We are talking sheer number of breakthroughs here.

Yeah but ps2 era saw:

Online gaming took off
Sandbox games
Region free gaming
Rumble
Wireless controllers
Peripherals that worked well
Arcade quality games at home
Dual analog control
Multimedia playback (movies and music)
Thousands of games (more 90+ games than SNES era)
Greatest Hits reduced priced games
every system converted to optical disc

Around the Network

For me it was the PS1 ERA,

d21lewis said:
Gh0st4lifE said:
This thread stinks of fail.

There is no such thing as a golden age of video games as the market is still growing and diversifying.

What this thread is about, really, is fanboyish nostalgia, frustration and magical thinking.

Next you're going to tell me that Santa Clause didn't give me that Voltron that I wanted when I was a kid!  My mom warned me about guys like you!!

Your list of best RPGs on the SNES doesn't include either FF 2 or 3 (ie. IV and VI)?

Final Fantasy 6 was probably the best game on the system.

theprof00 said:
richardhutnik said:
theprof00 said:
^I think you are confusing the word golden age with something else.
Golden age implies breakthroughs.

For instance the renaissance is called the golden age of art and invention, but today we have robots and lady gaga

If you want to talk breakthrough, I will go to the Arcade period of videogames, from Pong through the Fighting Games (Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat) up until polygons and the Playstation hit.  This time period represented the MOST breakthroughs in videogames.  The moment arcades died off, that is when we settled into now.  The Neogeo was likely the final curtain call for arcade games.

We are talking sheer number of breakthroughs here.

Yeah but ps2 era saw:

Online gaming took off
Sandbox games
Region free gaming
Rumble
Wireless controllers
Peripherals that worked well
Arcade quality games at home
Dual analog control
Multimedia playback (movies and music)
Thousands of games (more 90+ games than SNES era)
Greatest Hits reduced priced games
every system converted to optical disc

Sandbox games existed before, just not that popular.

Rumble is from the N64 era. So are dual analog controls.

NES had both good peripherals and arcade quality games at home.

And about the 90+ games... whatever. They don't have reviews for every good old game on the internet. And besides, why trust Metacritic? They're the guys who put Chrono Cross above Chrono Trigger. They can't be trusted.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

I would say NES/SNES/Genesis era is the Golden Age of games. 

Golden Age of movies refers to the 1930s and 1940s, I would say that era would be the gaming equivalent. 

Around the Network

For me, the Golden Age of Gaming would be the years that span the SNES and N64. Those were great times.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

PS1 followed by the snes.

the 16-bit generation was the best I believe too. Both the SNES and Megadrive had some killer games.

N64 era! My God, the times I had! Harvest Moon 64, OoT, Goldeneye, MK64... God I was so happy then.

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009

For me it was the Amiga 500 era, this era lasted from the beginning of the NES (IMO usually awful, even compared to c64 games) era well into the Snes era. Many of the Amiga originals were better than the later Snes ports . A lot more varierty and lots of experimenting with the for its time ahead of its time multi-media technology.

To name a few of the excellent games: Dungeon Master, Pirates!, Populous, Lemmings, Mega-lo-Mania, Worms, Defender of the Crown, Secret of Monkey Island, Supercars 2, The Settlers, Alien Breed, Sensible Soccer, Pinball Fantasies, Speedball 2, Turrican, Another World, Eye of the Beholder, It Came from the Desert, Power Monger, etc!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales