By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was SNES the Golden Age of videogames?

I am tempted to paraphrase a quote from Portal in regards to nostalgia:
"Maybe you should marry that thing since you love it so much."

Prolonged staying in nostalgia land has one wanting to return to the modern era.

Around the Network

I agree with hutnik. These days are the best. We have all the old games and lots of new ones.

1997-2004 was the best for me

Oh, no doubt about it, the current gen is definitely better than anything that's come before it. That's the nature of this hobby. It improves with technology. But (and I must add: In my opinion), the strides that were made in the 16-bit era are defining moments in video game history.

The snes era was the golden age, it will never be that good again.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Around the Network

^I think you are confusing the word golden age with something else.
Golden age implies breakthroughs.

For instance the renaissance is called the golden age of art and invention, but today we have robots and lady gaga

Yes, SNES is the golden era of videogaming. 2D gaming as good as it gets. Classics like Zelda-A link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Secret of Mana, Street Fighter II just to name a few....

theprof00 said:
I agree with hutnik. These days are the best. We have all the old games and lots of new ones.

If I were to go subjective memories, I would say the high point was when the original Civilization hit the PC.  Of course gaming has gotten WAY better since then, but the experience at the time hasn't been topped.

Not sure what else people want now.  You have virtual console, and remakes of old videogame classics, like a Boy and His Blob (Come on peoples, this is an upgrade over the NES version).  Also, I get a remake of Lode Runner, that ranks up there with the original.  I also get new stuff like Geometry Wars.  And you get titles inspired by the likes of River Raid (Raid over a River), that stands to come out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROTR_(video_game)

If people think that getting 40 Genesis games for $30 isn't a deal, then the games just don't hold up to today's stuff.

theprof00 said:
^I think you are confusing the word golden age with something else.
Golden age implies breakthroughs.

For instance the renaissance is called the golden age of art and invention, but today we have robots and lady gaga

If you want to talk breakthrough, I will go to the Arcade period of videogames, from Pong through the Fighting Games (Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat) up until polygons and the Playstation hit.  This time period represented the MOST breakthroughs in videogames.  The moment arcades died off, that is when we settled into now.  The Neogeo was likely the final curtain call for arcade games.

We are talking sheer number of breakthroughs here.

for me it was from the days of pc-engine>>SNES>>sega saturn>>dreamcast that was golden