By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was SNES the Golden Age of videogames?

PS2 Era was the best for me.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

eh, snes era really only had snes games and a few genesis games....

ps2 era had ps2 games xbox games and GC games, and DC games. You really can't compare

Not just that console, but that gen as a whole was pretty amazing. We got 2d perfection. 3D games were in their infancy, and every month was new and exciting! This was also the time of the last great console war. I remember entire families being torn apart based on whether they owned a Genesis or an SNES (Damien, you are no cousin of mine!). The 4th gen is probably a defining time for anyone who experienced it.

Starfox, Street Fighter 2, Doom, Donkey Kong Country, Blackthorne, PilotWings, F-Zero, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario Kart, Streets of Rage, Chrono Trigger (I could go on and on). Yes. The PS1/N64 era will come close since the strides in 3D gaming can not be denied, but the 16-Bit era.......

This thread stinks of fail.

There is no such thing as a golden age of video games as the market is still growing and diversifying.

What this thread is about, really, is fanboyish nostalgia, frustration and magical thinking.

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

SNES and PS1 were def. my favorite. i was born in 88 so i was pretty young during snes, but i'll always remember playing super mario, final fantasy 2, secret of mana, zelda, joe and mac lol, turtles in time and mario kart. i was obviously a little older with ps1 but ill never forget ff7, ff9, twisted metal 2, resident evil's, and many more. i feel rpg's arent the same anymore which is why snes and ps1 are my fav;s, they were the high point of quality rpgs in my opinion

Around the Network
Gh0st4lifE said:
This thread stinks of fail.

There is no such thing as a golden age of video games as the market is still growing and diversifying.

What this thread is about, really, is fanboyish nostalgia, frustration and magical thinking.

Next you're going to tell me that Santa Clause didn't give me that Voltron that I wanted when I was a kid!  My mom warned me about guys like you!!

Definately,
It had the Best RPG's
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Earthbound
3. EVO Search for Eden
4. Illusion of Gaia
5. Secret of Mana
6. Secret of Evermore
7. Super Mario RPG
The Best Side-scrollers
1. Donkey Kong Country
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. Donkey Kong Country 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Yoshi's Island
The Best Co-op
1. TMNT: Turtles in Time
2. Sunset Riders
3. Joe and Mac
The Best Fighters
1. Street Fighter II
2. Clayfighter
3. Killer Instinct

And it had the most interesting Console War. crazy stuff like sega cd, sega 32x, and snes cd were being talked about.

At the name of YESHUA, EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth (Philippians 2:10)

I have the biggest Wishlist on VGchartz

It was the golden age of Japanese developers, but the golden age of gaming is really a matter of opinion. That comes down to taste, and my opinion is that it wasn't.

trestres said:

In my opinion, the Golden Age of videogaming was without a doubt the SNES gen. I can think of so many unparalelled games, so many gems and so much variety. I think that we won't ever see a gaming system like it.

Do you agree with me, or do you have another choice for the best chapter in videogaming history? You maybe were too young/didn't exist, or maybe old enough to have played through the earlier gens... Maybe the current gen or some other past gen is for you the best, you may even believe we've yet to see gaming's Golden Age.

Like I said earlier, SNES era was the epitome of gaming.

Do you mean the SNES/Genesis era, as both consoles had a major war back then (It is more then SNES era)?   I go back to the 8bit Atari days, and grew up on that as a teen, watching the crash happen.  For me, the best time is NOW.  I get to play old stuff if I want to, and they remake old stuff to be improved.  I also get new games.  If one were rating stuff, I would say the Golden Age was the Arcade age, the Sliver Age was the 8-bit into 16 bit age, and now we have the modern era, where there was switch to disks and also polygons.  Besides this, one can say the post-modern era (I hate doing this, but need some term here), would be the prevalence of Internet play.

2001-04

PS2
DC
GC
Xbox