By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is this quote racist and/or sexist?

“..... a wise white man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion [as a judge] than a latino female who hasn’t lived that life.”

What do you think?

I'm not convinced personally.

edit: snipped the start of the quote to make it more understandable

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

i dont think it even makes much sense unless you get into specifics.  so, stupid rather than racist.

i dont think a white mans life would provide any greater "richness of experiences" than the latino females.

i think there were probably better white male judges than this latino female because i believe he chose her because she was a latino female. best for the job was irrelevant to him.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

The races are interchangeable, you could make the same argument no matter what race you put for either party. Therefore no it is not racist.

highwaystar101 said:
The races are interchangeable, you could make the same argument no matter what race you put for either party. Therefore no it is not racist.

Isn't that the point though?  That you could assert it from any position but that the quote chooses to assert it from one specifically?

Sqrl said:
highwaystar101 said:

Isn't that the point though?  That you could assert it from any position but that the quote chooses to assert it from one specifically?

surely a statement like that is hard to defend no matter which way you assert it, no matter what its allways racist and sexist against someone

Around the Network

Ahhh.. the first Sotomayor thread.

A person who is latino would have (in the U.S.) different experiences based on their race then would white people. I imagine Sotomayor will try her best to be an impartial supreme court justice (she will be confirmed..) but every nominee you have would be somewhat shaped by who they are.

Where did that quote come from?

It needs some context, but doesn't seem racist.

People are way too fast to play the race card.

damkira said:
Ahhh.. the first Sotomayor thread.

A person who is latino would have (in the U.S.) different experiences based on their race then would white people. I imagine Sotomayor will try her best to be an impartial supreme court justice (she will be confirmed..) but every nominee you have would be somewhat shaped by who they are.

The point is, isn't everyone shaped by their experiences?  What makes being a white male more capable of being a judge then a latino female? Or vice versa. 

PS - I have to assume you are deliberately trying to ruin my efforts to mix up the context for a more honest reaction.  Did you really find it necessary to add the political context I so clearly tried to remove?

There are always two no more no less. This was an implicit statement rather then an explicit statement. A implicit statement makes a point without doing so overtly. Influences the reader without their knowledge. In this case it has an undertone of racism. While the statement itself means nothing. This is a tried and true tactic within certain trolling communities.

For an example I might ask someone. "Where you molested as a child?" On the face of it that is not a grievous statement. However the implication is that there is something wrong with the person that I am asking the question to. There is an implied insult even though I was not explicit in what I meant.

I would say yes it is a racist comment. On first impulse, but I need more context. I need the flow of the conversation and the author, because there is a chance the person was incompetent, or they failed to articulate properly. Which means they might have had good intent. Politicians screw this up a lot trying to say things that offend nobody.