By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is this quote racist and/or sexist?

akuma587 said:
I think its pretty racist how the Supreme Court is completely unrepresentative of the American people. 1 women and 2 minorities (Clarence Darrow and Ruth Bader Ginsberg). Any government body should ideally be representative of the actual public.

No... having quotas would be racist... putting people in charge because they are a certain race would be racist.

Also you generally have to account for how many judges there are of each race and sex and on what level etc.

I mean is the NBA racist because most NBA players are black?  Hell no.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:

Since much of the context has been added now I'll add the entire paragraph the quote is from:

"Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O’Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O’Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life."

I actually think it is more damning in context than out of context but I wanted to get try and get some non-partisan reaction from it first.  Like I said before not having the full context means any initial reaction doesn't necessarily transfer directly anyways but it was still interesting...to me at least =P

Yeah... that's worse.

Mostly because she's treating it like she was King Solomon or something.

Judges aren't supposed to actually issue rulings based on what's wise...

if a outcome of a ruling is stupid... you should still make that ruling if that's what the law states. 

The best way to choose supreme court justices I think would be to take a complete belief primer on how the country should be... then look into their history and see how much they've ruled against their own wishes.

The person who rules against his own wishes often... that is a good judge.

outlawauron said:
akuma587 said:
I think its pretty racist how the Supreme Court is completely unrepresentative of the American people. 1 women and 2 minorities (Clarence Darrow and Ruth Bader Ginsberg). Any government body should ideally be representative of the actual public.

Diversity and Equality are great but race shouldn't qualify anyone to me Supreme Court Justice.

They shouldn't be qualified by race alone, but I do think there needs to be more diversity on the court.  I know that justice is supposed to be blind, but I don't think it actually happens in real life.  There needs to be different points of view.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
akuma587 said:

Diversity and Equality are great but race shouldn't qualify anyone to me Supreme Court Justice.

They shouldn't be qualified by race alone, but I do think there needs to be more diversity on the court.  I know that justice is supposed to be blind, but I don't think it actually happens in real life.  There needs to be different points of view.

You do realize you just suggested that all people of the same race think alike right? 

People should get jobs based soley on their ability.  When it's at the top of government this should be even more the case.

Kasz216 said:
theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
akuma587 said:

You do realize you just suggested that all people of the same race think alike right? 

No, I suggested that people of different races are likely to think differently due to different life experence.  If you don't like that, I really don't care.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Kasz216 said:
theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
akuma587 said:

No, I suggested that people of different races are likely to think differently due to different life experence.  If you don't like that, I really don't care.

No you suggested that everyone on the supreme court would think the same if they were the same race.   You said "We need a diverse court so we'll have different points of view."

Regardless... level of talent should be the only decider for any job.

How well you are at your job. This is espiecally true of government jobs which are paid by the countries money... and most of all at the top in positions that are granted for life.

Kasz216 said:
theRepublic said:
Kasz216 said:
theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
akuma587 said:

No you suggested that everyone on the supreme court would think the same if they were the same race.   You said "We need a diverse court so we'll have different points of view."

Stop trying to spin what I said.

Now Playing

theRepublic said:
Kasz216 said:
theRepublic said:
Kasz216 said:
theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
akuma587 said:

That's not spinning.  It's exactly what you said.

You said you think there should be more diversity on the court because it would bring in different points of view.

Which would mean you think the current bench's point of view isn't diverse enough, because apparently the justices think alike.  (They don't.)

Besides.  These are Judges.  Not polticians.  Political point of view and viewpoints should be irrelvent.

Seriously... reread your post.  That's what you said whether you meant it intentionally or not.

theRepublic said:
Kasz216 said:
theRepublic said:
Kasz216 said:
theRepublic said:
outlawauron said:
akuma587 said:

That's the way I read it as well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.