By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is this quote racist and/or sexist?

Tyrannical said:
Sqrl said:

“..... a wise white man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion [as a judge] than a latino female who hasn’t lived that life.”

What do you think?

I'm not convinced personally.

edit: snipped the start of the quote to make it more understandable

It sounds like something some puerto rican chick would say who doesn't really want to be a judge.

Sounds like something a "conservative" asshat would quote to stoke fearmongering about the scary librul hispanic lady judge.  There was a reason republicans were voted out in large numbers.  It's because we don't agree with you!

Stop getting so excited about a Kid Icarus remake... the original NES Icarus sucked.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:

Since much of the context has been added now I'll add the entire paragraph the quote is from:

"Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O’Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O’Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life."

I actually think it is more damning in context than out of context but I wanted to get try and get some non-partisan reaction from it first.  Like I said before not having the full context means any initial reaction doesn't necessarily transfer directly anyways but it was still interesting...to me at least =P

Yea, worse in context.

This is definitely racist. (and slightly sexist).

Edit: And slightly stupid, being she is going to need the votes of a bunch of old white men to be confirmed.

Wow. Looks like we've got a bunch of dittoheads on this site.

Stop getting so excited about a Kid Icarus remake... the original NES Icarus sucked.

I'm a liberal and find the comment out of line. You can and should be proud of your heritage. But it should have no bearing on your judgment in a court of law.

Megadude said:
I'm a liberal and find the comment out of line. You can and should be proud of your heritage. But it should have no bearing on your judgment in a court of law.

I have to say I appreciate the honesty...would you also agree that it doesn't disqualify her? 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Sqrl said:
Megadude said:

I have to say I appreciate the honesty...would you also agree that it doesn't disqualify her? 

It's tough because we need both a woman and a hispanic in the court. Yet I would prefer someone who is more objective. Everyone has an agenda. Put if your werearing yours on your sleeve before you even sit at the bench.... Well I'm afraid that could actually hurt your cause then help.

People who break racial/class bariers are able to do so by making their opposition empathise with your situation. A simple vilification of those who oppose your views ensures that they will remain just that; opposed. There is a lack of tact in this statement which is troubling.

No. As how can she comment if she has no experience in it. I can't comment on... the new X-Men Origins film as i haven't seen it so what use is me commenting on it. Me, being a caucasian male, would have no experience of the film where say a latino woman who had seen it could comment. It's just the stipulations involved with the quote. If it was a white man and another white man it's neither sexist, nor racist but it's the same scenario. Therefore it's not racist or sexist.

Megadude said:
Sqrl said:
Megadude said:

It's tough because we need both a woman and a hispanic in the court. Yet I would prefer someone who is more objective. Everyone has an agenda. Put if your werearing yours on your sleeve before you even sit at the bench.... Well I'm afraid that could actually hurt your cause then help.

People who break racial/class bariers are able to do so by making their opposition empathise with your situation. A simple vilification of those who oppose your views ensures that they will remain just that; opposed. There is a lack of tact in this statement which is troubling.

Why exactly do we need a woman and hispanic in the court? I don't really care what color/gender/etc of the person who gets, but I want the best person to get the job. I'm afraid she does not seem to be that person in my mind.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I think its pretty racist how the Supreme Court is completely unrepresentative of the American people. 1 women and 2 minorities (Clarence Darrow and Ruth Bader Ginsberg). Any government body should ideally be representative of the actual public.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
I think its pretty racist how the Supreme Court is completely unrepresentative of the American people. 1 women and 2 minorities (Clarence Darrow and Ruth Bader Ginsberg). Any government body should ideally be representative of the actual public.

Diversity and Equality are great but race shouldn't qualify anyone to me Supreme Court Justice.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.