By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is this quote racist and/or sexist?

@Dodece,

I'm not trying to play gotcha with anyone, was just looking for a gut reaction to it without the context.  Just as a statement on its own merit.

Obviously full context will change people's reaction (which is why I omitted it and actually changed it), because in this case the full context has massive political tones to it that I specifically wanted to avoid.

Without the context obviously the reaction doesn't transfer directly back to the original circumstances but I have no interest in the original circumstance anyways...or to be more specific I don't care about who said it or the hearings they are going through and I don't in the slightest think this comment should effect them or their confirmation (its pretty minor). 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

LOL...they just said who the quote is from on CNN. and i will say there is absolutely no way anyone who says that should be a judge.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
LOL...they just said who the quote is from on CNN. and i will say there is absolutely no way anyone who says that should be a judge.

Some of that political context I wanted to avoid =)

To Each Man, Responsibility

To me it sounds racist/sexist. Not extremely so but if you put the sentence in simple terms :

White + Male = Better conclusions than Latino + Female. Implying some kind of superiority from being a white male.

Signature goes here!

TheRealMafoo said:
Where did that quote come from?

It is a play on a quote from a lecture delivered by appellate judge Sotomayor. 

I do not disapprove of the message delivered in her lecture, but the wording in that quote has been slightly disconcerting since I first read it a few weeks ago. I fail to see why a Latina female's perspective would more often than not lead to a better decision. I hope she clarifies that statement during the forthcoming hearings. 

Around the Network

Found it:
“I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn’t lived that life” - Judge Sotomayor

I would like to know what she is talking about when she says "reach a better conclusion". If she is talking about something specific, she might be right.

Just like in some cases, a wise white man who has lived a particular life might reach a better conclusion, depending on what's being talked about.

By itself, out of context, it does sound racist as the race of the individual's don't really matter within the quotes idea. However, it may make more sense if this was expanded into the context of the full dialogue, however unlikely that may be.

ok after reading the full thread and the actual quotes, still racist in both fiction and nonfictional ways.

I believe the intent is that a minority person may be a better judge on some instances due to their perspective in growing up in America. While that may be true, it is only a fraction of all items on a Judges table and hopefully ANY judge would be impartial and truly seeking justice at all times.

I dont see how it is racist, in context of course

Rule Number One: If you have to ask whether or not a quote is racist of sexist, it probably is.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.