By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz 2.0 - the aftermath!

the redesign of the layout is amazing and the game pages are really impressive.
But the colorscheme should be made changeable

How can you possibly misspell QWERTY? It's spelled correctly on the damn keyboard.

Around the Network

oh thank u i love the new site!!! even if the new site dosent love my iphone n ps3 browser...ill just give u guys time n thanks for all your hard work.

I have appreciated a few fixes that were done recently, as the filtering of hot stories and forum posts now being a mouse click and not mouse over activated feature. Much more user friendly imo. Also I am having much less troubles with the richtext editor.

I still think that the decision about the page width is not a good one, the reason being that
1) not everybody has a >1024 horizontal resolution

2) even those who are using 1280 - I guess that's the most common resolution - are forced to go practically fullscreen to avoid scrolling (it leaves 65 pixels on each side). I can't think of any other site that is likely open together with VGChartz that requires such width, thus forcing the user to change his/her browsing habit for this single site is going to stick out as unfriendly.

3) it's very uncomfortable for forum posts: there's a law of typography that says that the maximum comfort when reading is with lines between 50 and 70 characters. This is usually relaxed in web sites, allowing longer lines up to 90-100 characters. But in my browser's default fonts the forum posts are a whopping 154 characters. The moving eye tends to get lost in longer lines, and the reading speed and comfort plummets, plus in websites vertical space comes for free and is easy to navigate.

Basically the main offender for the width seems to be the middle column in the home page: it contains the flash bar chart (could be rescaled at will), the recent headlines (lots of empty space), the recent reviews (lots of empty space) and the forum hot topics (not much empty space, but there would be nothing wrong if the title spanned multiple lines).

So basically I don't understand why the whole layout is fixed, instead of rescaling the middle column, with a minimum compatible with 1024px width.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

You say the site is designed for 1280 pixels wide and above, but with my 1280x1024 display and FF 3.0 the page is still slightly wider than the browser for me and I need to use the scrollbar to view anything on the right.

I'm quite happy with the new website, nothing that I use oftenly has been (from what I can tell) changed to the point where it's becoming confusing to use.

I'm one of the people that dislike the new colour way though. For me, Websites with a darker colour scheme doesn't really represent a professional website, especially given that a lot (if not most) gaming/clan forums have a dark colour scheme and we all know how "professional" those are. I don't hate the current colours though, I just liked the old ones better and more friendly/inviting.

The Home page is a massive improvement though. Except I can't seem to find the past weeks sales (if it's even on there still). Other than that, it looks a lot better (and more organised) than the old one. Reminds me of IGN but cleaner.

Keep up the good work.

Around the Network

@ WereKitten

I'm on a 1280*800 laptop screen, and I love the layout and the width. I wish more sites would use my screen instead of being so narrow with all that leftover space. I would much rather have something like VGC which is broader and shorter than something that slimmer but longer.

And the tracking sounds good. But to make it popular, we should at least have the option to pick between a few time intervals for when we want an update (a day, two days, a week etc.)

And yeah, thanks for all the hard work on the site

My only qualms are the color scheme, the amount of flash on the page which hurts performance, and the width of the site.

Soleron said:
You say the site is designed for 1280 pixels wide and above, but with my 1280x1024 display and FF 3.0 the page is still slightly wider than the browser for me and I need to use the scrollbar to view anything on the right.

I have the same resolution and I'm using IE8 and I don't have to scroll, did you double check that you computer is at the right resolution?

One thing i just remembered, the titles of each box on the front page arent very clear. As in Recent Headlines, Poll of the Week, etc.

If you could either bold them, or just increase their size slightly i think it would make browsing the front page easier.

@Rainbird
I suggested a dynamic layout, not necessarily a fixed, narrow one. So if you like browsing with a 1280px wide browser, you'll make use of your screen estate.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman