By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the PS3 will not last long, let alone 10 years.

KBG29 said:
PS3 will be around for a long time, much longer than 10 years. As you said in the OP, it is not power people want, it is software. In ten years PS3 will be extreamly cheap, and have more software than any other platform on the market. Yes, even more than Wii. Why? Because Sony will make this happen. Sony will do what it takes to keep the product rolling, whether it be marketing, price reductions, new features, or something else. As a company they are behind Playstation more than any other platform. Why? Because Playstation is the platform were they can sell the most software, and software makes money.

As stupid as some of the companies move may seem. They really do have some very smart people that know a lot more about the future than any of us.

We need a link to that one thread of Sony's greatest quotes...not to be an asshole, but that should be shown with the quote I got you with right there...lol

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
txrattlesnake said:
MazeMe said:
It's funny and pathetic at the same time to see so many Sony fanboys come in a thread and say the classic: ''wait until game X comes out!'', or ''wait until the price drop!''.

The consumer is done waiting. They have already decided which platform wins, which platform is going to live. The Wii. The Playstation 3 will be lucky to make the 6 years, let alone 10. Why? Read the OP: because the people, the consumers, don't want the PS3 that badly.

People who say this generation will last longer can only give one valid reason: the Wii. But the PS3/360 aren't being dragged along by the Wii, they are only dying faster because of it. Why? Because the Wii has changed what people want from their games, and the HD consoles aren't offering that.

Third parties are really stupid for letting the Wii go. By the time they DO shift to the Wii en masse it will already be too late, and the Nintendo first-party will have utter dominance over Wii software sales. Nintendo gave those guys more than enough time.

Tear this post apart. I'm not saying only good things about PS3, so that's what you should try, right. And please, by all means, use lame arguments. They'll just prove my point because they tell me you can't come up with any better reason why I'm wrong.
Hit me. Call me a fanboy and an idiot.

BTW, I feel sorry for the OP to get such a bomb of nerd rage. I'm sorry if this makes it worse.

Its not rhetoric and its not a question of if X game comes out.  because X game is coming out.  Actually XIII game and V XIII game and GT5 game and T game and U game and more K games and GoW game and HR game.  And its all about the games.

Your statement that the people that were going to buy FFXIIII, FF Versus XIII, and GT5 in Japan already have a PS3 is bogus because only 3 million PS3s have sold while the cap on the number of copies of the FF games that could potentially sell in Japan is much higher than that especially for the first FF in a gen.  Look at the sales for X 3 million and VII 4 million.  FFXIII and Versus XIII will sell at least as well as either of these and since its been so long since the last FF game they could conceivably sell 5 million copies in Japan which would mean they would move at least one million more PS3s because the only console that you can play these games on in Japan is the PS3 and the only console you can play these two games on worldwide with all the bells and whistles is the PS3 guaranteeing greater success for the PS3 version of FFXIII and V XIII (which is still a PS3 exclusive) in the West as well.  Furthermore games like Yakuza 3 and White Knight Chronicles move PS3 units.  In fact those games moved enough PS3 units to put the PS3 on top of the Wii for 3 months in a row of this year already. And if Yakuza and WKC move PS3s in Japan, then Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy will move many more. 

Also the Wii hasn't changed what people want from their games.  Its true that the Wii has four games that have had exceptional sales, but many of the games on the console that are superior to those games have failed to pass 1 million copies in sales.  And games like Fallout 3, GTA IV, Gears, MGS4, and Halo continue to sell millions of copies on other consoles and far more than do similar types of games on the Wii.  About all the Wii has managed to do is create a very isolationist group of gamers that know nothing about games.  Its great if all you want to play in the future are clones of Wii Sports and Wii Play, but not so much if you want more out of your games than that.

/thread

par 1-just because past FF games have sold well in japan doesn't mean the sequels will, just look at GTA San Andreas it sold 17 million on the ps2 yet the sequel GTA 4 only sold about 6 million on the ps3, and do u honestly think FF will sell more than Wii Fit in japan, which is easily on its way to being the highest selling game this gen?

par 2- yet the 4 games u say with "exceptional sales" have all sold more than those so called "superior games", those games have changed what the public want from their games the sells show it

I think there is some flawed logic here. Especially around the motivation for third party support moving away from PS3 towards Wii. I had a look at SW sales on the Wii very briefly and in a rather unscientific way, but still it is a reasonable sample I think. Checking the WW latest top 50 WW weekly Nintendo sales chart the ONLY 3rd party game In that list to crack 5 million World wide LTD on the Wii is Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, and that includes a much beloved Nintendo 1st party character. The stellar Wiii titles are ALL first party. PS3 with it's less than half install base is holding its own with third party SW sales volume very well, and if you factor in the fact that so much third party HD software is PS360 I'd imagine the HD twins are on par with Wii, at a minimum. Given this picture, third party developers would be shooting themselves in the foot if they left PS3 en masse. PS3 has a large enough install base and, recent figures notwithstanding, ongoing sales that 3rd party developers can achieve profitable sales and have good prospect for future growth on the PS3. It might not mean a large number of PS3 thrid party exclusives, but PS360 titles will continue to be released and will sell well. I'm happy as long as we see a Valkyria Chronicles 2, and I don't care if it is exclusive or not.

I'm actually very happy with PS3's position right now. There are really only 3 things that can spoil the PS3 party: a prolonged recession that sees console sales tanking over an extended period, which means the highest priced console will tank the worst; Sony not making the PS3 price more attractive; and further delays on the release of already known key exclusive titles. None of these factors have anything to do with competing consoles.

Here's my prediction: if the OP is right and the PS3 will be dead (and considered by Sony as a failed console) within a year or 2 there will be no PS4. Staying in the console manufacturing market requires PS3 to be counted as a reasonable success in its own right (even though relative to Wii and 360 it may may finish in 3rd place). This does not mean it has to achieve the 10-year benchmark, but it certainly needs to reach the 6-7 year lifespan.

There are still a lot of people yet to enter the current console generation, PS3 is reasonably poised to pick up a decent share of those people. There is good reason to be optimistic for PS3, but it does require to planets to allign in their favour a wee bit.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I see what you're saying Smashchu, but what would their next console be? What would be the advantage to really putting out a new console? If they go with the plan of the last 3 consoles, selling for a loss to gain market, they'll lose money while trying to compete with the Wii which at the moment is running full steam.

So make a maybe weaker then PS3 console, sell for a profit and try to compete with the Wii? Which is truly a hard thing to do, other consoles have tried to compete when other consoles were at the top of their games and died because of it take the Jaguar for example.

I do not believe the PS3 could last ten years as far as staying popular in the consumers eyes, but basically it has to, they've got to make something back, the engines are there, they're getting the multiplats and getting money off each game sold.

The biggest factor working against both MS and sony are third parties are losing a ton of money making games on their platforms, so they both need to figure something out to keep those third parties that are losing money on their systems...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

phenom08 said:
BMaker11 said:
txrattlesnake said:
MazeMe said:
It's funny and pathetic at the same time to see so many Sony fanboys come in a thread and say the classic: ''wait until game X comes out!'', or ''wait until the price drop!''.

The consumer is done waiting. They have already decided which platform wins, which platform is going to live. The Wii. The Playstation 3 will be lucky to make the 6 years, let alone 10. Why? Read the OP: because the people, the consumers, don't want the PS3 that badly.

People who say this generation will last longer can only give one valid reason: the Wii. But the PS3/360 aren't being dragged along by the Wii, they are only dying faster because of it. Why? Because the Wii has changed what people want from their games, and the HD consoles aren't offering that.

Third parties are really stupid for letting the Wii go. By the time they DO shift to the Wii en masse it will already be too late, and the Nintendo first-party will have utter dominance over Wii software sales. Nintendo gave those guys more than enough time.

Tear this post apart. I'm not saying only good things about PS3, so that's what you should try, right. And please, by all means, use lame arguments. They'll just prove my point because they tell me you can't come up with any better reason why I'm wrong.
Hit me. Call me a fanboy and an idiot.

BTW, I feel sorry for the OP to get such a bomb of nerd rage. I'm sorry if this makes it worse.

Its not rhetoric and its not a question of if X game comes out.  because X game is coming out.  Actually XIII game and V XIII game and GT5 game and T game and U game and more K games and GoW game and HR game.  And its all about the games.

Your statement that the people that were going to buy FFXIIII, FF Versus XIII, and GT5 in Japan already have a PS3 is bogus because only 3 million PS3s have sold while the cap on the number of copies of the FF games that could potentially sell in Japan is much higher than that especially for the first FF in a gen.  Look at the sales for X 3 million and VII 4 million.  FFXIII and Versus XIII will sell at least as well as either of these and since its been so long since the last FF game they could conceivably sell 5 million copies in Japan which would mean they would move at least one million more PS3s because the only console that you can play these games on in Japan is the PS3 and the only console you can play these two games on worldwide with all the bells and whistles is the PS3 guaranteeing greater success for the PS3 version of FFXIII and V XIII (which is still a PS3 exclusive) in the West as well.  Furthermore games like Yakuza 3 and White Knight Chronicles move PS3 units.  In fact those games moved enough PS3 units to put the PS3 on top of the Wii for 3 months in a row of this year already. And if Yakuza and WKC move PS3s in Japan, then Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy will move many more. 

Also the Wii hasn't changed what people want from their games.  Its true that the Wii has four games that have had exceptional sales, but many of the games on the console that are superior to those games have failed to pass 1 million copies in sales.  And games like Fallout 3, GTA IV, Gears, MGS4, and Halo continue to sell millions of copies on other consoles and far more than do similar types of games on the Wii.  About all the Wii has managed to do is create a very isolationist group of gamers that know nothing about games.  Its great if all you want to play in the future are clones of Wii Sports and Wii Play, but not so much if you want more out of your games than that.

/thread

par 1-just because past FF games have sold well in japan doesn't mean the sequels will, just look at GTA San Andreas it sold 17 million on the ps2 yet the sequel GTA 4 only sold about 6 million on the ps3, and do u honestly think FF will sell more than Wii Fit in japan, which is easily on its way to being the highest selling game this gen?

par 2- yet the 4 games u say with "exceptional sales" have all sold more than those so called "superior games", those games have changed what the public want from their games the sells show it

Anybody that doesn't think a new FF game will sell well in Japan when all indications that it well sell well exist including the recent success of its demo with a blu-ray version of an older film show.  And as far as FF sequels not selling well, FF X-2 still managed to sell over 2 million copies in Japan as did Crisis Core on PSP and Versus XIII is far more of  game than just dress up the pretty girls from the last FF in different outfits and let them continue the last game type of game.  The FF games are going to easily break the 2 to 3 million mark in sales in Japan this gen.

No, with the exception of Mario Kart Wii, two of those games Wii Fit and Wii Play one caters to an excercise craze and has been promoted as a device that senior citizens can use to get some of their required exercise accounting for quite a bit of its success and the other has mainly been picked up by those that wanted to try out something new for their Wii but that really had no idea what to pick up so they picked up a game with a name similar to the one they already had. Wii Sports no one really knows how well it would sell on its own because its always been counted as a bundled game. Except for the Nintendo fanboys no one puts any great stake in it.

If those four games had really changed what the public wants from games, then you would see all third parties stopping development of fps games, action adventure games, and jrpg games in order to make Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, and Mario Kart Wii clones, and we've not been seeing that.

Thank the Maker.

Around the Network

A LOT of ignorant denials by sony fanboys in this thread.

They better wake up to reality soon.

The ps3 not going be the ps2, thus nowhere near 10 years on the market.

Thus, nowhere near profitability.

Thus, nowhere near 100 million consoles sold

Thus, nowhere near first place

Peace :)~

Can't wait for E3 new announcements from SCEA, Square, Kojima and several others about games we'll be seeing coming to the PS3 during the next one to five years.

Naraku_Diabolos said:
KBG29 said:
PS3 will be around for a long time, much longer than 10 years. As you said in the OP, it is not power people want, it is software. In ten years PS3 will be extreamly cheap, and have more software than any other platform on the market. Yes, even more than Wii. Why? Because Sony will make this happen. Sony will do what it takes to keep the product rolling, whether it be marketing, price reductions, new features, or something else. As a company they are behind Playstation more than any other platform. Why? Because Playstation is the platform were they can sell the most software, and software makes money.

As stupid as some of the companies move may seem. They really do have some very smart people that know a lot more about the future than any of us.

We need a link to that one thread of Sony's greatest quotes...not to be an asshole, but that should be shown with the quote I got you with right there...lol

What are you getting at? Are you saying that is delusional, or do you agree?<br /><br />

If you think its crazy then keep reading. If you agree sorry for the confusion.<br /><br />

Sony knows what they are going to do with the PS3 way down the road. They have the gameplan for when they will start thinking about PS4. As far as I know, no one on this site works in the executive roles for SCEI, so therefore no one has a clue what they are talking about when they say Sony will fail. As I said, if you are saying the quoted sectionis correct then this is not to you. But, to the people that think that it is crazy that Sony has more knowledge about PS3's future than any of us. Get Fucking Real.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

txrattlesnake said:
phenom08 said:

Anybody that doesn't think a new FF game will sell well in Japan when all indications that it well sell well exist including the recent success of its demo with a blu-ray version of an older film show.  And as far as FF sequels not selling well, FF X-2 still managed to sell over 2 million copies in Japan as did Crisis Core on PSP and Versus XIII is far more of  game than just dress up the pretty girls from the last FF in different outfits and let them continue the last game type of game.  The FF games are going to easily break the 2 to 3 million mark in sales in Japan this gen.

No, with the exception of Mario Kart Wii, two of those games Wii Fit and Wii Play one caters to an excercise craze and has been promoted as a device that senior citizens can use to get some of their required exercise accounting for quite a bit of its success and the other has mainly been picked up by those that wanted to try out something new for their Wii but that really had no idea what to pick up so they picked up a game with a name similar to the one they already had. Wii Sports no one really knows how well it would sell on its own because its always been counted as a bundled game. Except for the Nintendo fanboys no one puts any great stake in it.

If those four games had really changed what the public wants from games, then you would see all third parties stopping development of fps games, action adventure games, and jrpg games in order to make Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play, and Mario Kart Wii clones, and we've not been seeing that.

Thank the Maker.

This is turning into the Wii is killing core gaming thread that was locked earlier...

Look I'll post something Naznatips said about the games that come out on Wii and this is also where Nintendo's focus is

Nintendo makes twice as many games as MS and Sony combined, and thus a far larger variety.

Nintendo has released their core franchises far faster than any generation previous. In 2 and a half years they have released Mario Kart, Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Animal Crossing, Punch-Out, Smash Bros, Excite Racing, Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Battlaion Wars, Wario Land, Mario Baseball, Mario Strikers, and remakes for Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Pikmin. They also published Fatal Frame and have made a Sin & Punishment sequel, one of the most niche core games they have.

On the DS they have Mario, Metroid, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Elite Beat Agents, Professor Layton (yes, they published), Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, ASH, Custom Robo, Band Bros., Jump Stars, Donkey Kong, Etrian Odyssey, Soma Bringer, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Hotel Dusk, Jet Impulse, Kirby, Magical Starsign, Mario & Luigi RPGs, Star Fox, Trace Memory, Yoshi's Island and numerous spinoffs of all the above franchises.

If Nintendo doesn't care about the core gamer what's that make Sony and Microsoft?

There is no excuse for this argument anymore. It's silly, childish, and clearly false. Please stop with these stupid topics.

Same deal here, these excuses are over used, software _____ will sell the PS3 and save Japan, well Wii has a damn good counter to that it's a little thing called Dragon Quest X, which most likely because the install base for the PS3 is so small in Japan will likely outsell FFXIII, if the short lived spike in PS3 sales for the FFXIII demo is any indication, FFXIII will not achieve 2 to 3 million sales unless it sells to more then half of the PS3 owners which FFX couldn't do with PS2.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

By Summer 2010, the PS3 will have sold 5 to 7 million copies in Japan while the 360 won't break 1.5 million there. Dragon Quest won't be out until after both FFs have released in Japan.  Probably in the Summer of 2011.  Until then unless Nintendo gets some real top tier first party core games out for the Wii there the Japanese market will pretty much go the way of the PSP DS battle in Japan where yeah the DS is winning but where in almost any given week the PSP will be on top.