By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the PS3 will not last long, let alone 10 years.

Stupid Fanboy just go and die you stupid fuck...

I owned a 360 for 7 months and i realised there is no point will all the PS3 games coming out this year Uncharted 3 <3

PSN : Stocko

Currently Playing : Dynasty Warriors 7 (PS3, 9/10) Ar Tonelico Qoga (PS3, 8/10) MVC3 (PS3, 9/10) Pokemon Black (DS, 9/10) Dissidia 012 (PSP, 10/10), God Eater Burst (PSP, 9/10)

Around the Network

Smashchu2, I really think you have a couple of good points, but I do disagree with you about a few things. First, I don't think the PS3 is doing as badly as you do, and I believe in a longer generation than you do, apparently.

Considering the fact that the PS3 is in third (last) place, it's doing outstanding. It is and will be the most successful losing console of all time in terms of sales. It has a great standing with its customers as well, and shares an amazing library of games with the xbox.

My end of generation projections puts the HD consoles at a maximum of 140 million, and I have previously predicted that they will not sport more than a 10 million gap between them. Naturally, I have no real basis for this, other than a simple estimation of population caps.

Also, while your arguments about price are mostly fair, the extreme price difference between the consoles is something never seen before, and that might skew the picture you paint a little bit. While I do not believe a $200 PS3 would sell much more than at the current price, I would not discount the possibility.

I believe Gran Turismo 5 and Final Fantasy XIII will indeed push a lot of PS3's in Japan. But about half a million consoles more or less is not going to noticibly affect the outcome. And outside of Japan, these games will have a minimal impact on PS3 sales. God of War III on the other hand, will most likely not sell any measurable amount of systems.

As I said Smaschu I agree with you on many points, most importantly the customer orientation that is apparent in your posts, but I have a much more positive outlook on both HD consoles than you do.

This is invisible text!

coolestguyever said:
Reasons it will last 10 years:

1. Sony has the best future exclusives. Nintendo and Microsoft have already released all their big series (Mario, Zelda, Halo, etc) but as for PS3...Gran Turismo, God of War, and Final Fantasy (still exclusive in Japan) haven't even come out yet.

2. 360 has already hit the $200 price point and that didn't kill the PS3. Wii has been $250 all along and that didn't kill the PS3. And Sony still hasn't dropped below $400 yet. Sometime in the future the PS3 will drop to $300 then eventually to $200 when they can afford to lower the price. That will help increase the install base dramatically.

3. Blu-ray. Do I need to say more than those 2 words? Once PS3 is down to $300 that will be a great deal; you get an high quality game system and a high quality Blu-ray player for one reasonable price.

4. Future Proof: Yeah...this arguement again. PS3 constantly updates their system via firmware updates. Remember when there was no in game XMB, no trophies? Yeah firmware updates changed that. If anything ever needs changed Sony can easily release another firmware update to fix it.

This here beats out all those mountains of text in the OP

ps3 is doing just fine. did nobody see the 3d option shown at last years e3 (i think)

leave that be, since like the op said its not always bigger the better... sony might still come up with accessories like maybe motion sensor.... that will elongate the life of the PS3.

I don't see how people think that the PS3 will make it to 10 years. Maybe this will put it into perspective.

The PS2 was a monster during its generation. It was the top selling console by far. Even with all of that momentum, the PS2 is having trouble making it to 10 years. Hardly anyone talks about it anymore, its shelf space is getting smaller and smaller, and it has very few big games coming out. To actually make it to 10 years old, it will have to continue to October 2010 in North America. The PS2 is already a hollow shell of its former self, what will it look like in another one and a half years?

How is a third place console, with much less momentum, going to make it 10 years?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
StockoPS3 said:
Stupid Fanboy just go and die you stupid fuck...

I'm sorry that a pure fact upsets you.

theRepublic said:
I don't see how people think that the PS3 will make it to 10 years. Maybe this will put it into perspective.

The PS2 was a monster during its generation. It was the top selling console by far. Even with all of that momentum, the PS2 is having trouble making it to 10 years. Hardly anyone talks about it anymore, its shelf space is getting smaller and smaller, and it has very few big games coming out. To actually make it to 10 years old, it will have to continue to October 2010 in North America. The PS2 is already a hollow shell of its former self, what will it look like in another one and a half years?

How is a third place console, with much less momentum, going to make it 10 years?

On a wing and a prayer.

Tease.

Smashchu2 said:
coolestguyever said:
Smashchu2 said:
@greenmedic88: uhhh, where to start
1)The PS3 will not match the PS1 or 2 in any way. Those systems turned a profit and sold over 100million units. The PS3 is struggling to beat the N64. This claim is just plain silly.

Dude the PS3 isn't struggling to beat the N64. 2 1/2 years in the PS3 is at 22.2 million. The N64 sold 32 million LIFETIME. And not only that but the lowest the PS3 has been is $400 and I could be wrong but wasn't the N64 $299 (or lower) at launch?

If you consider the PS3 struggling to beat the N64 then I guess our definitions of struggling differ greatly.

I will be willing to put a major bet that PS3 has sold more units than the NES by the end of 2012 - That makes 6 years on the market if my math is correct. That means 61 million sales or more by 2012. Any takers???

How you beelive that is beyond me. That is purperosterous. Consoles are momentum based, so the beginging determins the end. The PS3 IS struggling and has been stagnant for a while. Even when software comes out, it does push the system. It just sits there. The 360 is doing better now. How come it wont sell for 6 years? If Microsoft releases a new system, why wont Sony release on to combat it? Why wont third parties move to the Wii since it has the most units sold and is cheaper to make games on? Why does no one ask these questions?

The bet is a safe one on my part becuase the PS3 will never make it. It first has to sell for 6 years, but anyone with reason knows that it's sales are not good enough to do that and software comes to slow on it. It just outragious that you claim that.

And second, why does no one back these claims up? I have not seen a good reason for any of them?

1. If your so confident; take a bet then. Don't just say your right and leave it at that. Put a wager on it.

2. I listed my reasons why I think PS3 will sell for the full 10 year plan. It was something like Blu Ray, imminent price drop, best upcoming games, and something else.

I would take that bet, however it doesn't mean much as that date is so far into the future.

Tease.

"I am saying to buyers that your product will become useless, essentually"

I stopped right there.

I hate this shit. Is it fear? Jealously? Envy? Can't let the past go? SONY anally raped your mother's decapitated corpse in front of you while you were strapped to a chair?

I'm not aiming at you. I just don't understand why some people want to see a company fail/go down/suffer. SONY's brought 3 great systems and an amazing slew of games to the table. The PS3's been getting great game, after great game after great game. I guess the DreamCast/Saturn/XboX/GameCube/N64 are all useless now because they didn't win/aren't on the market anymore/left the market earlier than the competition.

4 ≈ One