By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why the PS3 will not last long, let alone 10 years.

txrattlesnake said:
By Summer 2010, the PS3 will have sold 5 to 7 million copies in Japan while the 360 won't break 1.5 million there.

So you're saying over the span of less then a year... a console will sell 2 to 4 million units in one region and sell a copy of each one of the console owners... and the console has sold just over 3 million units over the 2 and a half years it's been out? .... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

I actually believe Sony will have the PS3 on the market for 10 years. This doesn't stop Sony from releasing the PS4 in 2013 though.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:
By Summer 2010, the PS3 will have sold 5 to 7 million copies in Japan while the 360 won't break 1.5 million there.

So you're saying over the span of less then a year... a console will sell 2 to 4 million units in one region and sell a copy of each one of the console owners... and the console has sold just over 3 million units over the 2 and a half years it's been out? .... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Excuse me, but could you tell me when during those two and a half years the PS3 saw the release of one Gran Turismo game and two Final Fantasy games, didn't think so.

txrattlesnake said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:

Excuse me, but could you tell me when during those two and a half years the PS3 saw the release of one Gran Turismo game and two Final Fantasy games, didn't think so.

<_< the GT games were bundled with a system that was in it's prime and market leader, it won't be quite as epic as it was for the PS2. 

Here's a bit of information...

Dragon Quest VIII - Japan 3.68

Final Fantasy XII - Japan 2.42

Final Fantasy X - Japan 3.02

How can a series that barely sold 3 million on Japans biggest console install base ever sell 7 million units on one of the smallest?  It's statistically impossible, and further more Dragon Quest's main series is more popular in Japan and it's going to the Wii, so where's your astronomical statistically impossible sales prediction for that game?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Why are we supposed to believe some random guy from the internet such as you TC?

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:

<_< the GT games were bundled with a system that was in it's prime and market leader, it won't be quite as epic as it was for the PS2. 

How can a series that barely sold 3 million on Japans biggest console install base ever sell 7 million units on one of the smallest?  It's statistically impossible, and further more Dragon Quest's main series is more popular in Japan and it's going to the Wii, so where's your astronomical statistically impossible sales prediction for that game?

I didn't say either Versus or XIII was going to have 7 million sales in Japan.  But, I do think both XIII and Versus will have sales very close to, between, or more than X and VII (VII had 3.97 million sales on a console with a smaller user base than the PS2).  Games move consoles and just as it moved PS1 and PS2 FF will move PS3s.

txrattlesnake said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:

I didn't say either Versus or XIII was going to have 7 million sales in Japan.  But, I do think both XIII and Versus will have sales very close to, between, or more than X and VII (VII had 3.97 million sales on a console with a smaller user base than the PS2).  Games move consoles and just as it moved PS1 and PS2 FF will move PS3s.

"txrattlesnake said:
By Summer 2010, the PS3 will have sold 5 to 7 million copies in Japan while the 360 won't break 1.5 million there."

Right there <_<

MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:

"txrattlesnake said:
By Summer 2010, the PS3 will have sold 5 to 7 million copies in Japan while the 360 won't break 1.5 million there."

Right there <_<

No I said total sales of the PS3 in Japan between November 2006 and Summer 2010 following the release of GT5, FFXIII, and Versus XIII will be 5 to 7 million while the 360 won't have passed a total of 1.5 million consoles sold there between November 2005 to Summer 2010 leading more Japanese developers to consider the PS3 to be the best option for their hd exclusives.  I do expect FF XIII, Versus XIII, and GT5 (along with other announced games) to lead to an increase in PS3 from the 3 million it has now to the 5 to 7 million figure.  If I was to narrow that down, I think its probable that the first week following Versus XIII's Japanese release 5.5 to 6 million PS3's will have sold in Japan (1.5 million more than now as a result of FFXIII's release, 500,000 to 1 million more than now as a result of GT 5's release, 1 to 1.5 million more than now as a result of Versus FFXIII's release).

txrattlesnake said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
txrattlesnake said:

"txrattlesnake said:

Right there <_<

No I said total sales of the PS3 in Japan between November 2006 and Summer 2010 following the release of GT5, FFXIII, and Versus XIII will be 5 to 7 million while the 360 won't have passed a total of 1.5 million consoles sold there between November 2005 to Summer 2010 leading more Japanese developers to consider the PS3 to be the best option for their hd exclusives.  I do expect FF XIII, Versus XIII, and GT5 (along with other announced games) to lead to an increase in PS3 from the 3 million it has now to the 5 to 7 million figure.  If I was to narrow that down, I think its probable that the first week following Versus XIII's Japanese release 5.5 to 6 million PS3's will have sold in Japan (1.5 million more than now million as a result of FFXIII's release, 500,000 to 1 million more than now as a result of GT 5's release, 1 to 1.5 million more than now as a result of Versus FFXIII's release).

So in a year PS3 console sales will roughly double... which is absurd... because those exclusives will not push console sales that much...

@KBG29
"Sony knows what they are going to do with the PS3 way down the road. They have the gameplan for when they will start thinking about PS4. As far as I know, no one on this site works in the executive roles for SCEI, so therefore no one has a clue what they are talking about when they say Sony will fail. As I said, if you are saying the quoted sectionis correct then this is not to you. But, to the people that think that it is crazy that Sony has more knowledge about PS3's future than any of us. Get Fucking Real."

That really is the most hilarious paragraph I have had the pleasure of reading for a long time!
Thank you for that

You REALLY think after the mighty sales of the PS1, PS2 that Sony even "think" they have a clue at the market? LOOK, a really good company can shift goals, marketing and outlook pretty easily due to changes in the market. Would you agree the WHOLE market has changed and gone into recession? Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""