By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP to beat DS in Japan again

It's only selling well now because it's new. The momentum will die down. PSP has no chance against the DS... No chance...

Around the Network

@alex

Dont count the psp out yet..

mM

I wonder what Sony's expectations were for the PSP when it was released?

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design." - Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto

PSN joshmyersBV Global rank in Warhawk: 1734 Rank: Wing Leader Over 200 Mine kills
leo-j said:
@alex

With more of 20 millions of difference there is no way it can recover and take the lead.

Edit: 

joshmyersBV

Make use the PlayStation brand to take over the handheld market, make the UMD a mobile standar, sell tons of movies and kill nintendo taking away their handheld market...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I was in Yodobashi Kawasaki yesterday and there was a LOT of interest in the new PSP. Most of the peripherals were sold out (headphones, TV cables etc).

Also, MGS Portable Ops + was sold out too.

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network
-Edge- said:
leo-j said:
Psp slim or light watever you call it came out already O_O

Nobody knows about it since they dont advertise.

Cuz then even a wii sports addict would know sony did it again and copied Nintendo.

DS lite: BRIGHTER, SMALLER, COOLER!

PSP slim: BRIGHTER, SMALLER, COOLER!

Wait, you mean that Nintendo was the first company to come out with a "slim" version of a game machine (handheld or console)?

*recalls a couple Sony game systems that had a "slim" version*

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

jjseth said:
-Edge- said:
leo-j said:

Cuz then even a wii sports addict would know sony did it again and copied Nintendo.

Wait, you mean that Nintendo was the first company to come out with a "slim" version of a game machine (handheld or console)?

Gameboy pocket was pre PSone.

But claiming that a hardware revision is copying Nintendo. Using that logic we could claim that every console maker is copying Magnavox who released the first ever console in 1972. 

Rath said:
jjseth said:
-Edge- said:
leo-j said:

Gameboy pocket was pre PSone.

But claiming that a hardware revision is copying Nintendo. Using that logic we could claim that every console maker is copying Magnavox who released the first ever console in 1972. 

Atari 2600jr says hi

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

leo-j said:
@alex

I don't know man? Sony still needs to sell like 27 million PSPs to catch up to the DS. PSP is selling well but not that well. It will do well but not as well as the DS. 

jjseth said:
-Edge- said:
leo-j said:

It's not a copy in releasing a redesign.  If you are thinking that way then man you are already way off track.  If this is a copy it is a copy for market hype and advertising.  It's obvious Sony wants to reenact the success that DS had after a newer version of that handheld was released.  Thus they take similar aspects that the DS revision had and market it off with a similar name, ect and you have an exact replica of an event that occured previously on a competiting product.  With this in hoping that the same sales increase will happen and virtually feed off the same hype and good sales that the competitor had.  

This is most likely what Sony was thinking when they decided to redesign the PSP.  It was all about this copy of marketing and advertising to ultimately gain what the DS lite gained for Nintendo and its handheld generation.  I'm not saying it's wrong, unfair, cheap, or sly but I can say that that this redesign was under those precepts.  You see this happen a lot in the market.  Namely after you see a succesful series in a specific genre you'll then see "same games with new names" arise.  After Halo this happened a lot in the market.  I think Killzone is the most obvious as Sony simply stated that is what it was.  Can't get any easier.

For that same idea above you saw it after Nintenod released Brain Training.  Can't look in the Japan weekly sales without seeing market copies.  Saw it after Nintendo released Pokemon.  I think things like Digimon is a good example.  Not everything is a deliberate outright copy of what physically it is.  Mostly it's a copy to feed off the market hype surrounding what a previous and similar product has done.