By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has Moneyz in the bank .... a lot

1 Trillion Yens or 10 billion dollars.

The company is in very healthy financial condition and you once again confirmed net cash in the range of 1 trillion yen. I know you have always been asked of the usage of the cash in the future, but as I notice the changes in the environment, hardware sales and competitions, I'd like to listen to your ideas on how you would want to spend your cash, including the possibility of stock buy backs and others, or if you intend to maintain the current cash level.

Iwata:
As you know, video game business is a very high risk business. It takes only one product to change the landscape all at once. Today's video game market is advancing with a scenario which was unimaginable just a few years ago. Several years ago, some people in the stock market used to openly announce that there was no need for companies to keep cash deposits because you could borrow them whenever necessary. I think I can today say that the situation in the last 6 months has proved that they were wrong. As long as we are doing business where we have great risk at times, my belief is that we have to be cash-rich if we commit ourselves to continuing our business.
So, it is very hard for me to imagine that Nintendo will abandon its cash-rich position all together anytime soon because doing so will significantly narrow down the options we can choose from in the future, which will weaken the competitive edge of the company towards the future and, as a result, the company will have a harder time being appreciated by the shareholders. This is my basic stance.
Being able to hold sufficient cash means that the company has a number of different options. The possibility of stock buyback that you mentioned is one of them, and when we feel the need to do so, we will. Or, even though we do not have any such concrete plan today, if we encounter a great technology or patent that could give us a great edge for future challenges, Nintendo may be able to exercise the option of M&A even though we have hardly done so in the past. When that one technology or one patent is going to be the decisive factor for our future, we want to be able to exercise our option to take it. We hope that people invest in Nintendo by understanding that being able to have the freedom to choose our business structure and our operational structure is one of the most important factors and strengths that allows us to move towards our challenging goals.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/090508qa/index.html

So yes even with all the moneyz, they aren't going to trow a party

Around the Network

Nintendo was basically all the parenting I had as a child. That means that when Nintendo dies, I'm in their Will, right? Don't they love me?

I just want to make sure.

Iwata said:

So, it is very hard for me to imagine that Nintendo will abandon its cash-rich position all together anytime soon

Quote of the day.

i feel their cash reserves are a bit excessive. surely if you have that much it would be better to invest in something rather than having such a large amount of working capital. then again maybe they have so much theve run out of stuff to invest in. i mean theve bought monolith soft, have built that new research building, set up that new project with the SSBB guy and have poured large amounts of cash into marketing and R&D. maybe they could buy NLG or something

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Maybe Nintendo could bail out my wallet? It's too empty to fail.

It's just sad that one of the things you can't do with all of that money is get instant, quality games. That requires talent and a lot of waiting too.

Around the Network

Not surpising, Nintendo always been a conservative company. It's a good move.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Lol, if they use even one billion of that money, they could buy several huge third-parties. I think buying Capcom, Sega and Take Two would cost less than 1 billion dollars.
Not sure though. Anyone?

MazeMe said:
Lol, if they use even one billion of that money, they could buy several huge third-parties. I think buying Capcom, Sega and Take Two would cost less than 1 billion dollars.
Not sure though. Anyone?

Nope wrong take two alone is  worth more than 2 billion dollars and i think each of capcom and sega are about 3-5 billion each. these3 are huge third party developers

They could be building up a war chest for the next generation. The new generation will be harder for them. They are defending. Microsoft always goes after the biggest player and Sony will want their lost market back. With this huge moneypile they can stand up against a lot.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

wfz said:
Nintendo was basically all the parenting I had as a child. That means that when Nintendo dies, I'm in their Will, right? Don't they love me?

I just want to make sure.

If so, you're sharing with millions of siblings.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.