By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo has Moneyz in the bank .... a lot

Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Captendo said:
outlawauron said:
And so why doesn't Nintendo buy more studios?

To be fair, they opened Sora and R & D 5 recently.

Nintendo is a conservative company, who doesn't just buy like 7 studios this year and sell them all 2 year later. They slowly expand their company not to create to much overcosts and keep a tight ship in the wind.

We haven't seen anything from Sora or R&5 yet.

And I don't see why they couldn't buy one maringally large studio. Like a Free Radical or Bizarre Creations.

Hell, they could even buy Grasshopper or VanillaWare.

Sora made Meteos. And they're working on that new game. What's R&5?

@Jo21

How do you know that?

its shown their amount of employee in wikipedia page.

sony have more microsoft and nintendo put together

180,500 (as of March 2008)

microsoft - 89,809 in 105 countries (2008)

nintendo - Employees 3,768 (2008)

even with the big profits must money ends up in ejecutives and other things.

other way janitors would be earning thousands a year.

instead of the few hundreds they get monthly.

Around the Network
Jo21 said:
Soriku said:
outlawauron said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Captendo said:
outlawauron said:
And so why doesn't Nintendo buy more studios?

To be fair, they opened Sora and R & D 5 recently.

Nintendo is a conservative company, who doesn't just buy like 7 studios this year and sell them all 2 year later. They slowly expand their company not to create to much overcosts and keep a tight ship in the wind.

We haven't seen anything from Sora or R&5 yet.

And I don't see why they couldn't buy one maringally large studio. Like a Free Radical or Bizarre Creations.

Hell, they could even buy Grasshopper or VanillaWare.

Sora made Meteos. And they're working on that new game. What's R&5?

@Jo21

How do you know that?

I get the feeling you don't understand how companies run.

Additionally.... i'd rather make 400 dollars a week with a company that makes millions then 200 a week with a company that makes thousands.  Equal distribution of wealth is meaningless if the wealth is less.  Not saying it is... but you've really got no clue either way.

Aside from the fact that that's not how wealth is distributed.

They could by one studio. If what you guys are saying is right, and Nintendo's (value) deprecates with such large reserves, then maybe they could buy a smaller team ~$200m.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Jo21 said:

What Kasz216 said.

Also, the profit is usually spent on the following things:

- Shareholder dividends
- Investment in R&D; this means more or better games and hardware
- Put in the bank (how do you think they got 1 trillion yen in the first place)
- Mergers and acquisitions (recent example: Monolith)
- Other miscellaneous capital spending like new offices

It's not generally just given to executives, though bonuses are part of that.

Jo21 said:
NJ5 said:
Kasz216 said:
Also wasn't 10 billion what Microsoft had sitting around and was considered a big deal? Or was that 50 billion?

I think it was closer to the latter. But Microsoft is a much bigger company than Nintendo, if you calculate something like Cash per Employee, I'm pretty sure Nintendo "wins".

most of the money ends up with top executes with that amount of money they would give janitors thousands a year.

as employee working on a company Sony > microsoft > nintendo.

Wasn't Nintendo named the best employer in Canada last year? 

Around the Network

My father always thought me to save money even if we were in a good position we might one day need the money that we have saved. Nintendo is smart for doing this as they won’t need to rely on others for support when the time comes and they aren’t doing that good in the gaming market.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

NJ5 said:
Ail said:
Get down to earth guys, that's only 10 billion $.
That's nice for sure, but it's not a crazy amount........

It's a very high amount for a company of Nintendo's size. They have a few thousand employees, and few other expenses other than staff (few factories etc.). Nintendo could live on $10 billion for many years (maybe more than a decade) even if the videogames market completely crashed, without doing any layoffs. That's how high $10 billion is.

For comparison, Sony has less cash on hand, and much higher expenses than Nintendo with their 180,500 employees.

After you've read all the bailout news in the US of A. It's difficult to think $10B as "a lot".

Kasz216 said:
Also wasn't 10 billion what Microsoft had sitting around and was considered a big deal? Or was that 50 billion?

If I recall it was at about $30 billion when it started being a newsworthy item, and was nearly $50 billion by the time they decided to do something with it.

That is mighty impressive. Good to see they don't just go and spend it stupidly like american banks and the UK goverment. Iwata runs a very tight ship. Also, don't expect Nintendo to buy deveolpers just because it can, its a long and expensive process and Nintendo won't want a developer unless said dev can bring something to the table Nintendo desperately wants/needs or cannot get itself. I wonder how long they could live off that $10 billion with no income. I would imagine a decade or so at least. I guess the selling at a profit strategy really paid off for the Big N.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
outlawauron said:

Actually they I think they should imiate the number of quality titles that Sony publishs every year. I'm not Nintendo is a bad publisher at all, but that they should use this money to grow their company.

And they've already commisioned numerous studios to make Wii exclusives, why don't they just buy them?

Flexibility. By keeping studios as second party, Nintendo can ditch them whenever they like if they fail to meet standards or don't jibe with Nintendo's strategic direction. They don't have to worry about managing them beyond the current project.

Why buy the cow, put it in a barn, feed it hay and shovel manure when all you want is a gallon of milk at a reasonable price? They can buy development without buying developers.

I think Microsoft is trying to do a similar thing, but with even less internal development and even more distance from studios. Hence why so many of their game studios are getting shut down or restructured.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.