By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Underwhelmed by slim

kber81 said:
sieanr said:

Pay 170 to get faster loading times?

Sorry, but I want something a bit more before I replace my current PSP

Nobody force you to keep your current model on the shelf. I've just traded mine. I will add some cash and buy the new one. People don't be cheap ! $170 isn't a drama you know. In my country PSP costs almost $250 so when I read about guys who are disappointed with price I can't understand it. Enjoy your low prices ! ! ! ... I've heard people in US complain on gasoline prices too (! ! ! ! ! !)

Sorry, but I dont think the redesign is enough to upgrade for the price

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
jv103 said:
I wouldn't say im a fanboy, I have the wii, ps2, xbox 360 and dsl. I was just curious if anyone else is a little underwhelmed by the psp slim's changes. I mean I guess im comparing it to the dslite, which is a huge change aesthetically. I guess the biggest difference for the slim is it's around 33% lighter, but is that in itself worthy of a new model, and repurchasing it? It is almost identical minus the weight and maybe an 1/8". Which handheld change was more significant? Thoughts?

theres way more changes then that

Its slimer, lighter, and has a brighter screen. They also have a new analog stick and a video out port. I cant tell you weight vs weight as I dont feel like looking up their weights. 

Enough reasons for me to get me one. I've bought myself the Pink version from Japan. The video outport... I can't wait to see how it looks like on my TV :D I have a PSP since a month after the JP release, so one of the first batches and indeed the screen is not as clear as comparing to the DS Lite, therefore I hope the new PSP version has a much brighter screen now comparing to my other PSP.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

naznatips said:
W29 said:
leo-j said:
I forgot to mention everything on the psp runs double the speed thanks too the 64mb ram.

You got that right ;)

That's horribly incorrect.  The exta ram only speeds up new games, and even the not even all new games are faster.  Some of the old games in fact had their load times increased by the slim in a load time test. 

As a current PSP owner, I think the slim is a complete joke of an upgrade at least from the perspective of those who already own one.  Here's why:

The analog stick is still awkwardly positioned, and still cramps my thumb.  It's lighter, but not signifficantly thinner and still uncomfortable to hold.  The battery life isn't improved unless you want to buy an original PSP battery and a special cover for it, which of course makes it heavy again and makes a big awkward bulge in the back.  Load times weren't fixed for old games, though it's really impossible to fix them for old games so I shouldn't criticize them for that.  You can output to the TV but you can't get it to go fullscreen (even on a widescreen TV), and of course the cable is sold separately.  

That said, I didn't think a DS Lite was worth upgrading either.  So I still use my Original DS.  So, maybe I'm a harsher critic than most, but from my perspective, it's a stupid worthless change that's okay for new buyers but pointless for old owners to upgrade to. 

You are horribly incorrect. As an owner of the original PSP. I felt that owning the new PSP Slim was well worth the upgrade. Take your disagreement elsewhere, like on Nintendo threads. Thanks.

W29 said:
naznatips said:
W29 said:
leo-j said:
I forgot to mention everything on the psp runs double the speed thanks too the 64mb ram.

You got that right ;)

That's horribly incorrect. The exta ram only speeds up new games, and even the not even all new games are faster. Some of the old games in fact had their load times increased by the slim in a load time test.

As a current PSP owner, I think the slim is a complete joke of an upgrade at least from the perspective of those who already own one. Here's why:

The analog stick is still awkwardly positioned, and still cramps my thumb. It's lighter, but not signifficantly thinner and still uncomfortable to hold. The battery life isn't improved unless you want to buy an original PSP battery and a special cover for it, which of course makes it heavy again and makes a big awkward bulge in the back. Load times weren't fixed for old games, though it's really impossible to fix them for old games so I shouldn't criticize them for that. You can output to the TV but you can't get it to go fullscreen (even on a widescreen TV), and of course the cable is sold separately.

That said, I didn't think a DS Lite was worth upgrading either. So I still use my Original DS. So, maybe I'm a harsher critic than most, but from my perspective, it's a stupid worthless change that's okay for new buyers but pointless for old owners to upgrade to.

You are horribly incorrect. As an owner of the original PSP. I felt that owning the new PSP Slim was well worth the upgrade. Take your disagreement elsewhere, like on Nintendo threads. Thanks.

What the hell?? I guess you blatantly ignored the fact that naznatips also didn't like the DS Lite.. or maybe you thought that since something wasn't positive for the PS franchise, in someones opinion, it must be a Nintendo Fanboy comment.. seriously.. think before you post

^lol....you take stuff seriously don't you. Its to early in the morning here in America to be arguing. So really you chill and come down. What I said was a joke, if you can't take jokes then seriously read my post and think before posting. From this point forward. Thanks for your cooperation.

W29

Around the Network

I take things seriously when there is a need for it, yes..

tabsina said:
I take things seriously when there is a need for it, yes..

Well I'm happy for you. You keep up the good work 8)

naznatips said:
W29 said:
leo-j said:

You got that right ;)

That's horribly incorrect. The exta ram only speeds up new games, and even the not even all new games are faster. Some of the old games in fact had their load times increased by the slim in a load time test.

As a current PSP owner, I think the slim is a complete joke of an upgrade at least from the perspective of those who already own one. Here's why:

The analog stick is still awkwardly positioned, and still cramps my thumb. It's lighter, but not signifficantly thinner and still uncomfortable to hold. The battery life isn't improved unless you want to buy an original PSP battery and a special cover for it, which of course makes it heavy again and makes a big awkward bulge in the back. Load times weren't fixed for old games, though it's really impossible to fix them for old games so I shouldn't criticize them for that. You can output to the TV but you can't get it to go fullscreen (even on a widescreen TV), and of course the cable is sold separately.

That said, I didn't think a DS Lite was worth upgrading either. So I still use my Original DS. So, maybe I'm a harsher critic than most, but from my perspective, it's a stupid worthless change that's okay for new buyers but pointless for old owners to upgrade to.

As a curent PSP owner I like the redesign and I recomend it for an upgrade . Just imagine playing your game at home , put it to rest , pop it up back on the bus and than finish the game on your friends TV ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

leo-j said:
@shams

I thought when you double the ram on a pc the speed doubles, doesnt the same thing go for the psp?

Eh... lol.

Well, I think the new PSP is more attractive for people that didn't have one. I'm even thinking on getting one, the problem is that game are kinda hard and expensive to get here. Is not that. 

I'm not criticizing other people for liking it. I think if it gives stuff you want, that's great. More power to you. I'm happy that it's convincing some more people to buy the PSP. The topic was just asking if anyone was underwhelmed by it and I was giving my opinion on the subject. Believe me: I'm happy about anything that gets more people to buy the PSP. I think it's an underrated system and one of the best handhelds ever made.