By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - why is no 3rd party support a bad thing for nintendo??

jellyfishprince said:

pros for nintendo:

- they get direct revenue $$$ not a precentage of 3rd party
- they get control over periperals and marketing
- 1st party games will not be multi-plat therefor it benefits nintendo

i have yet to find any cons? and opeople keep saying it is a bad thing? can someone please explain! how does not having a lineup of wii sports, wii music and wii fit be worth losing for like gta4.. who wants that we have mario kart also?? i dont see the importance of why nintendo needs 3rd party support. maybe they needed it when they console was failing (like gamecub) but they do not need it for the wii. please discuss

edit: i actually realized that nintendo has the mst 3rd party support now that i think of it?? wii cheer? wonder babiez? barnyard games? why are people complaining then

1) Because it generates a continued stream of revenus for Nintendo w/o engaging any funds (that's called royalties). Quite obviously, it's better for Nintendo if some of the royalties from Guitar Hero or any E.A. Sports titles go in their pocket, rather than in MS's or Sony's pockets.

2) Because it's a way for the Wii to be "present" even when Nintendo isen't releasing any new titles (and currently, if you except the rerelease of Pikmin & co, there isen't much from Nintendo).

3) Because Nintendo lack the resources or the skills to cover every genres by itself, and having other doing it for you is a good way to keep your customers satisfy.

4) Because some strong licences happen to be important. Wii Music was a failure, Guitar Hero is a hit. How much will youngs use the Wii if all the Harry Potters and cartoon-games they likes are on other consoles ? They will buy/use this other console instead of the Wii.

5) Because Nintendo might remember what happened to Sega for not having EA and other major 3rd parties.

6) Because it's alway best to keep good relation with 3rd parties. You might need them.

It's an advantage to have 3rd parties and given the radical change of Nintendo policy in this matter, they are perfectly aware of that.

Around the Network

Nintendo wants third party support to appeal to more. Nintendo is great and all, but not enough to satisfy.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

What is this?.... I don't even wanna know.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

quantity is always the factor that makes a console succesful: NES, SNES, Genesis, PSone, PS2..if customers doesn't see variety they set away from the product.

For talking about making money you misses the biggest and obvious reason, dude. Gotta learn more about this industry.

it's bad for thier customers, which is bad for nintendo because they'll have
less customers

Around the Network

they meake tons of money they are fien.simple as that.

Software moves hardware OP, Nintendo takes a license fee because they need to share the burden of distributing the hardware licensees use as a platform.

In other words if they don't have a tun of software versus their competition who also hold platforms then they seem unhealthy to any investor worth their salt. Why is because gamers flock to the platform with the most software, and usually the most software that appeals to them. In sheer numbers 90 nintendo titles over 6 years can't beat out over 1300 titles in the same 6 year period.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

jellyfishprince said:

edit: i actually realized that nintendo has the mst 3rd party support now that i think of it?? wii cheer? wonder babiez? barnyard games? why are people complaining then

Yeah, no other console has third party support like that. It is pretty cool.

Troll makes ANOTHER troll thread.

yay?

sethnintendo said:

1st party games usually are never multi-platform. I can't think of one.  So that is a pointless point.

Getting direct control over peripherals and marketing is just a given unless a 3rd party makes a peripheral for a certain game. So I don't really even see a point in mentioning that.

Yes, they get more money from 1st party games but you would get even more money if you sold a ton of first and third party games.

So basically all your points are pointless. Also, 3rd party support for the Wii is picking up so the argument over lack of 3rd party support will soon be nullified.

best post in the whole thread  i think most people agree with what you said

"edit: i actually realized that nintendo has the mst 3rd party support now that i think of it?? wii cheer? wonder babiez? barnyard games? why are people complaining then

Seriously?.... anyway, I think most gamers are not interested in those games like you are (if you're actually serious and not trolling) and don't care when games like that are announced. most gamers here are more interested in games with more depth and better gameplay.

i myself would like more games on my system (who wouldn't?) especially if you only have that particular system :(   and honestly am not very interested in those particular games you mentioned.

I'm not sure what going on here... if this is an attempt at trolling then it's not a very good one :(   If you're actually arguing that less 3rd party support is better for Nintendo then i don't know what to say (obviously i don't agree).