By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

NoCtiS_NoX said:
NJ5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

1 question, If Sony only got $25 per copy then the retailers is profiting $35 per copy?

That's pretty big profit from the retailers IMO.

No, there's also distributors, taxes and manufacturing of discs/boxes/manuals eating money.

I see. thanks!

In fact if I'm to be believed correctly, retailors make next to nothing on games, they rely on their used section.

Around the Network

first of all being console munufacturer, publisher, and developer sony probably gets closer to 35 dollars per 60 dollar game. second that budget was pulled from their ass. i have never heard anyone use that figure before them... s

Munkeh111 said:
theRepublic said:
nen-suer said:
theRepublic said:

Although the sales figures are strong by most standards the game is reported to have cost over EUR 40 million to develop.

Wow, that's $55 million in US dollars.

1.60 million X 59$ = 94.4 million is U.S dollars............until now

Also notice that Sony must have shipped close to 2 millions by now to retailers

You know that Sony doesn't get all of that money, right?  First party publishers get somewhere around half of the retail price of a game.

I think it is $20-25, so at $25, assuming they have shipped 2m, they have received $50m so far, so they are going to make back the money, but it is not going to make that much profit

I think it's a lot more than that. Working in retail, we only made $8-10 off selling a new game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

NJ5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

1 question, If Sony only got $25 per copy then the retailers is profiting $35 per copy?

No, there's also distributors, taxes and manufacturing of discs/boxes/manuals eating money.

Do they get about $25 as Sony, and about $20 as a third party, (Sony knick $5)? Are those roughly the right figures?

seece said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:
NJ5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

I see. thanks!

In fact if I'm to be believed correctly, retailors make next to nothing on games, they rely on their used section.

They do. Depending on the publisher, profits vary. I know stores only make $2-3 on Madden.

Around the Network

Pre orders from retailers were 1.2 million in EU two weeks before release. So Sony already shipped around 2.5 million copies WW.

Munkeh111 said:
NJ5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Do they get about $25 as Sony, and about $20 as a third party, (Sony knick $5)? Are those roughly the right figures?

Maybe shams as a developer knows better, I don't think these numbers have been published.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Munkeh111 said:
NJ5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

shipping doesnt cost anything. a big box could hold quite a few games with it costi split up between them. and material? are you shitting me? most expensive part is the disc which sony buys in bulk.... and manufactures themselves so they wont have to pay the extra costs.

MrBubbles said:
they shouldnt have released the demo. the poor controls and aiming turned people off, reducing the sales.

That demo is what convinced me to give it a pass...  I just was not very impressed with the experience overall.  That said, I'm not really a shooter fanatic, more a casual fan of them gravitating toward fun subject matter (zombies, portals, and space marines and such).  Killzone just seemed really bland and clunky.  Pretty enough, but little else going for it.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

NJ5 said:
Munkeh111 said:
NJ5 said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Maybe shams as a developer knows better, I don't think these numbers have been published.

I'm getting my numbers from two sources.

1. When I worked in retail at a bigger corporation (Circuit City)

2. Speaking to a owner of a local video game shop

It seems that the prices publishers sell games to differs from retailer to retailer.