By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

Zizzla_Rachet said:
outlawauron said:
Munkeh111 said:
There were some bundles, but I think they were only in the UK, and not really that widespread

This.

@ Zizzla

1 With bundles, a loss isn't incurred on the sale of the game but rather the sale of the hardware. So the loss Sony receives from selling a bundle (whether it be actual loss or the oppurtunity cost of selling the game in retail), they still count it sold.

And if you to get real technical, you'd have to add all the free $ from the DLC. $5 for the map pack which has been downloaded tons.

1 Which Makes no Sense..

2  What Free Money?...You think DLC don't cost Money to make??...Especially to Sony who has to pay for they're own BandWith.....

1. I'm saying that Sony takes into consideration the oppurtunity cost when you bundle things. (I.e. money from the bundled sale will still go to pay for KZ2)

2. Of course DLC costs money to make, but DLC is just gravy for game sales. I used free money as a figure of speech. Something low investment/high return

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

if this was 360 it would of sold 1 mil 1st week and around 4-5 mil LTD.

Max King of the Wild said:
therepublic - you think those are only a couple dollars each? Sony made a console to make money. people make games to make money. Supply and demand. Sony supplies the game player and the market and they demand a good amount to allow you to make money off their product.

From what I have heard those fees are actually pretty small compared to the whole $60 game.  That is why I have third parties at around $25 and first parties at around $30.  It gives me a conservative estimate of what the game made.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

you are wasting your time, you should play that game instead of....
bla bla bla

PLAYSTATION®3

i need a job first.

Around the Network
the ball park figure was pulled from the websites ass dude.

I know the guy.  Not only did he not pull the figure from his ass but it's a very reputable figure accepted by those in the industry.

If you're going to accuse him of making things up, try not making things up yourself first.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Yikes i did not even manage to beat out R2....

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

From reading this thread it is painfully apparent that a number of members have a poor memory. The community spent years following links, and reading the same data from multiple independent sources. Those often being reputable journalists. So I am sorry if you think your an expert, but I will take the word of someone who actually works in the industry.

Especially since they are not following an agenda, or have the decency to try and minimize any bias that they have. Does anyone remember when the obscene budget for this game was seen as almost a status symbol. Hell I remember one member saying if a game has a budget two to three times bigger then the best game on the market it had to be two or three times better.

Beyond that you can always debate how the retail price is divided amongst the players. Honestly I think it is probably far from the rosy picture some imagine. There is a reason that developers do not spend this kind of money on titles out side of a massive online game. That reason being it just isn't profitable. Not that this game being profitable itself was ever the goal. The goal was to have this game move hardware.

The game very well might have, but it is a story of mismanagement. This game needed to arrive last year, or the previous year when it could have done the console a lot of good. More so it would have done the games sales good. Even the saved time could have seen the game getting a sequel in a timely manner this generation. Now it will probably arrive after the next generation has started. So it is either take it there or keep it here.

Dodece said:
From reading this thread it is painfully apparent that a number of members have a poor memory. The community spent years following links, and reading the same data from multiple independent sources. Those often being reputable journalists. So I am sorry if you think your an expert, but I will take the word of someone who actually works in the industry.

Especially since they are not following an agenda, or have the decency to try and minimize any bias that they have. Does anyone remember when the obscene budget for this game was seen as almost a status symbol. Hell I remember one member saying if a game has a budget two to three times bigger then the best game on the market it had to be two or three times better.

Beyond that you can always debate how the retail price is divided amongst the players. Honestly I think it is probably far from the rosy picture some imagine. There is a reason that developers do not spend this kind of money on titles out side of a massive online game. That reason being it just isn't profitable. Not that this game being profitable itself was ever the goal. The goal was to have this game move hardware.

The game very well might have, but it is a story of mismanagement. This game needed to arrive last year, or the previous year when it could have done the console a lot of good. More so it would have done the games sales good. Even the saved time could have seen the game getting a sequel in a timely manner this generation. Now it will probably arrive after the next generation has started. So it is either take it there or keep it here.

Since you're so sure what the goal was, you must work for sony.

I find it funny that the people who actually play kz2 the most rarely take interest in these threads. They just stick to the official clan thread while those who have absolutely nothing to do with the game whatsoever spend their time lurking around it's sales charts instead of playing those marvelous games they have that sold trillions and are so much better than killzone 2. I was wondering why kz2 remains the most popular game on vgchartz with such "pathetic" sales. When threads like this keep popping up, it's painfully obvious why it stays number 1. Have a fun discussion....gonna go play some more warzone

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Viper1 said:
the ball park figure was pulled from the websites ass dude.

I know the guy.  Not only did he not pull the figure from his ass but it's a very reputable figure accepted by those in the industry.

If you're going to accuse him of making things up, try not making things up yourself first.

LOL. so tell me what position does he have at sony?